Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed

Franchise »

EA's flagship street racing series featuring many licensed cars, police pursuits, car customization, and more reboots than you can shake a stick at.

Dreamworks to Attempt a Need for Speed Movie

• 86 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    If Dreamworks hasn't gotten this guy on the phone yet, they're going about this all wrong.
    If Dreamworks hasn't gotten this guy on the phone yet, they're going about this all wrong.

When Criterion's Need for Speed: Most Wanted was finally confirmed just prior to E3, a cry went out for the inclusion of the "old" Most Wanted's main bad guy, Razor Callahan. Sure, that cry was primarily coming from me, but it was a cry nonetheless! Given the way that Criterion isn't really the sort of studio to put a story into its racing games, I... didn't actually expect that the new Most Wanted would contain America's Favorite Racing Bad Guy.

That's why it's so wonderful that we all have a second chance, because Dreamworks has picked up the Need for Speed name for use in a movie. And they've got some actual humans attached to it in writing and directing capacities. Some of their credits include the screenplay for Real Steel and directing Act of Valor, which sounds about right for a movie based on a driving video game that typically doesn't have any story whatsoever. In fact, the press release EA put out this morning goes so far as to state this amazing fact:

The screenplay is based on the Need for Speed series, but is not based on an individual game.

So I suppose that tosses my hopes of a cinematic retelling of a young racer's rise up the blacklist against an evil, car-thieving dirtbag like Razor Callahan out the window, but here's my little bit of advice to the people producing the movie. Include some shitty little throwaway reference to Callahan. Either cast the actor (Derek Hamilton) in a supporting role or include the character's name on a rap sheet or something. Then you can rest easy, knowing that your car movie has remained faithful to the one tiny bit of decent narrative that EA's driving series has contained since its debut in 1994.

Actually, wait. Alongside a Callahan cameo, maybe you could track down this guy from the 3DO game.

(You'll need to skip to around the 1:20 mark to see what I'm talking about, but the whole video is kind of great.)

Back up a minute. what the heck does basing a movie on the Need for Speed series even mean? I mean, it's not a story-based game. Do you think they had to sit down and generate some kind of list of "core competencies" or something? If so, I'm guessing it looked sort of like this...

• Cars.
    • Fast cars.
    • Oh, they're real cars, too.
    • They go fast? Yes, that's for sure. The cars are fast. Oh, and they cost a lot, so...
    • The cars are often expensive.
    • And sometimes there are cops.

Sounds like box office gold to me, man. But it feels like it's a little late for some movie folks to get together and say "hey, that Fast and the Furious series is hot, let's do that," doesn't it? Besides, the last time someone said that, they made Torque, which is a masterpiece in its own special, bike-fighting way. But there's... actually, wait. Sorry, I need to watch the bike fight scene from Torque now.

Hmm. Kinda thirsty after watching that, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Anyway, as I was saying, there's nothing wrong with a good car movie, and the release goes on to say that Need for Speed will be "rooted in the tradition of the great car culture films of the 70s." I suppose there ain't nothing wrong with attempting that, either. And with relatively attainable aspirations like that, this sort of sounds like a video game movie that might actually get made.

Production is currently targeted to start in early 2013 for a 2014 release. Hell, I don't know. It couldn't be any worse of an idea than Battleship was, right? Hopefully it leads to some sort of ridiculous Need for Speed: The Movie: The Game tie-in product.

[UPDATE]: GameSpot's Brendan Sinclair informs me that the director of this Need for Speed movie did stunts on Torque. So we're effectively looking at the car movie singularity right here, people.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

When Criterion's Need for Speed: Most Wanted was finally confirmed just prior to E3, a cry went out for the inclusion of the "old" Most Wanted's main bad guy, Razor Callahan. Sure, that cry was primarily coming from me, but it was a cry nonetheless! Given the way that Criterion isn't really the sort of studio to put a story into its racing games, I... didn't actually expect that the new Most Wanted would contain America's Favorite Racing Bad Guy.

That's why it's so wonderful that we all have a second chance, because Dreamworks has picked up the Need for Speed name for use in a movie. And they've got some actual humans attached to it in writing and directing capacities. Some of their credits include the screenplay for Real Steel and directing Act of Valor, which sounds about right for a movie based on a driving video game that typically doesn't have any story whatsoever. In fact, the press release EA put out this morning goes so far as to state this amazing fact:

The screenplay is based on the Need for Speed series, but is not based on an individual game.

So I suppose that tosses my hopes of a cinematic retelling of a young racer's rise up the blacklist against an evil, car-thieving dirtbag like Razor Callahan out the window, but here's my little bit of advice to the people producing the movie. Include some shitty little throwaway reference to Callahan. Either cast the actor (Derek Hamilton) in a supporting role or include the character's name on a rap sheet or something. Then you can rest easy, knowing that your car movie has remained faithful to the one tiny bit of decent narrative that EA's driving series has contained since its debut in 1994.

Actually, wait. Alongside a Callahan cameo, maybe you could track down this guy from the 3DO game.

(You'll need to skip to around the 1:20 mark to see what I'm talking about, but the whole video is kind of great.)

Back up a minute. what the heck does basing a movie on the Need for Speed series even mean? I mean, it's not a story-based game. Do you think they had to sit down and generate some kind of list of "core competencies" or something? If so, I'm guessing it looked sort of like this...

• Cars.
    • Fast cars.
    • Oh, they're real cars, too.
    • They go fast? Yes, that's for sure. The cars are fast. Oh, and they cost a lot, so...
    • The cars are often expensive.
    • And sometimes there are cops.

Sounds like box office gold to me, man. But it feels like it's a little late for some movie folks to get together and say "hey, that Fast and the Furious series is hot, let's do that," doesn't it? Besides, the last time someone said that, they made Torque, which is a masterpiece in its own special, bike-fighting way. But there's... actually, wait. Sorry, I need to watch the bike fight scene from Torque now.

Hmm. Kinda thirsty after watching that, but I can't quite put my finger on why. Anyway, as I was saying, there's nothing wrong with a good car movie, and the release goes on to say that Need for Speed will be "rooted in the tradition of the great car culture films of the 70s." I suppose there ain't nothing wrong with attempting that, either. And with relatively attainable aspirations like that, this sort of sounds like a video game movie that might actually get made.

Production is currently targeted to start in early 2013 for a 2014 release. Hell, I don't know. It couldn't be any worse of an idea than Battleship was, right? Hopefully it leads to some sort of ridiculous Need for Speed: The Movie: The Game tie-in product.

[UPDATE]: GameSpot's Brendan Sinclair informs me that the director of this Need for Speed movie did stunts on Torque. So we're effectively looking at the car movie singularity right here, people.

LikeaMetaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By LikeaMetaphor

Gotta get some Need for Speed!

Edit: I saw my chance. And I took it. I feel so dirty. I'm not really sure this would make a great movie, but it'd probably be great for some stupid fun.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#3  Edited By wumbo3000

A movie about cars?! Weird!

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SmilingPig

3rd crap.

If Vince Diesel is in it sure.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

razor callahan is dead

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By smitty86

It's about time someone made a movie about people racing fast cars.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By A_Dog

I could really do for a refreshing Pepsi right about now.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Will Shrek be in this?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

Isn't Fast and the Furious pretty much just Need for Speed: The Movie already?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Dreamworks makes movies that are not animated? Or will this be animated as well.

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By megasoum

OMG That torque video is amazing hahaha. Never seen the movie. I really like how subtle they are with the product placement.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Kyle

Bout time someone The Fast and the Furious a run for their money. Actually, that might make a good subtitle. Or plot.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

Real Steel was...surprisingly decent and charming. I don't remember how good the writing was, but it was never groan-inducingly bad. No, really, if you need a movie to watch with some kids, pick that one. It's not as bad as it sounds.

As for Need For Speed - yeah, I'll probably have to watch it at some point. Why can't I just watch the previous five Fast and Furious movies, though? They've pretty much nailed the cheesy dumb tough guy car drug guns girls action movies with that particular series, I don't see what NFS can do to top it unless it tries to do something different, like be a serious drama film, a prospect which might make it the funniest movie of the year.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Illuminosopher

Oh look! another reason for me to not watch movies.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By begilerath

@SmilingPig said:

3rd crap.

If Vince Diesel is in it sure.

What if Vinny is in it?

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NathHaw

@Megasoum said:

OMG That torque video is amazing hahaha. Never seen the movie. I really like how subtle they are with the product placement.

You almost don't notice it. I mean, Jeff didn't!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@JJOR64 said:

Will Shrek be in this?

No, but Eddie Murphy will voice one of the cars.

porr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By porr

Man.. Torque was sooooo bad. who thought that was a good idea.

dOm_CaTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dOm_CaTz

Instead of a need for speed: the game: the movie, they should do a sonic generations type thing. now that could be real interesting.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NathHaw

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Dreamworks makes movies that are not animated? Or will this be animated as well.

Steven Spielberg movies are DreamWorks, so Saving Private Ryan is DreamWorks.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OldGuy

Best thing about that scene? After driving (and fighting) at high speed for several minutes without turning around she winds up back in front of the SAME SIGN. Impressive.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By NickLott

Oscar gold.

XtremePudim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By XtremePudim

i should watch Torque

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#24  Edited By TadThuggish

For some fucked up reason, these adaptations-based-off-basically-nothing go further than BioShock by Gore Verbinski or Metroid by John Woo.

Bolt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bolt3

There must be someone from Dreamworks reading this... right?

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HubrisRanger

@Animasta said:

razor callahan is dead

Long live razor callahan.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#27  Edited By MeatSim

Give me more Razor Callahan Dreamworks!

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iamjohn

I'll pay up to five grand for tickets!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@TadThuggish said:

For some fucked up reason, these adaptations-based-off-basically-nothing go further than BioShock by Gore Verbinski or Metroid by John Woo.

Or Halo by Peter Jackson. Or World of Warcraft by Sam Raimi.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By ddensel

How about a Road Rash game from the makers of Crank?

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By mracoon

I feel like this was announced a while ago. Anyway, I'll probably just watch a youtube vid of all the car chases after the films out.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By begilerath

I would like a Driver San Francisco movie....or maybe I should just watch that "Life on Mars" series.

graboids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By graboids

that Torque clip is amazing.

also possible NFS the Movie cast..... ? Maybe a WWE superstar instead of Tim Riggins...

No Caption Provided
    yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By yevinorion

I am ready for the outer regions of outrageous.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By williamhenry

How in the hell did Torque actually get made? That scene is one of the worst things I've ever seen. You're telling me that nobody involved with the production stepped up and said "this is fucking terrible. We can't actually make this."

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Gabriel

Great can't wait to watch it after the Halo, Bioshock, Infamous, Uncharted, Metal Gear, and God of War movies come out.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheHT

GameSpot's Brendan Sinclair informs me that the director of this Need for Speed movie did stunts on Torque. So we're effectively looking at the car movie singularity right here, people.

whatthefu*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By AndrewB

And I totally didn't know that Razor Callahan's first name was Clarence.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!

Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Evercaptor

Is it wrong to have rooted for the pretty girl who started on the black bike?

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By AngelN7

Mountain Dew > Pepsi then.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Subjugation

Wow, that bike fight was pretty special. Stuff like that gets the green light?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Given that Nfs: underground was influenced so much by the fast and the furious this is super dumb. Also, amazing. I'll be there in the cinema on day 1.

ZombieSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ZombieSpace

i really need to get me a bottle of mountain dew....or pepsi

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GreggD

FIVE GRAND

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Winternet

This is article is pretty much how I imagine Mr. Gerstmann's mind operates on a regular day.

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By digital_sin
    Vinny Callahan
    Vinny Callahan
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I want them to make at least four so the fourth one can be called ''Need 4 Speed''.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By napalm

Apparently Jeff has never seen a Fast And Furious film which has already achieved whatever this movie will attempt to do. Unless they can get an ensemble cast, like Fast Five has, and be as awesome as Fast Five, I really could not care less.

Also, Razor Callahan is probably one of the dumbest fucking characters to ever grace a videogame.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Red12b
    @Napalm
    One of the stupid...?

All I can say to this news is TANG
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Silver-Streak

@ImmortalSaiyan: Not only do they make non-animated movies, they also make awesome animated video games.

Well. They did.

Dreamworks is responsible for The Neverhood. One of the best Adventure games ever. Made out of claymation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.