Need for Speed Set to Become a Movie for Some Reason

• 63 results
Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

Because apparently somebody at Dreamworks got the wild hair up their ass that they needed their own movie franchise to compete with the Fast and the Furious series, Deadline is now reporting that the studio is on the verge of brokering a deal with EA for the rights to Need for Speed franchise.

The deal isn't done, but Deadline says that Dreamworks is in "pole position"--no, seriously, they actually wrote those words down and published them--to land the deal. The movie will come courtesy of John and George Gatins, the writer of Real Steel and the producer of She's Out of My League, respectively. Though this time, they apparently will be going with George as writer, and John as producer. So, this should go well.

Given that Need for Speed is something of a nebulous franchise, narratively speaking, one could be forgiven for wondering where, exactly, the hell anyone plans to pull a story out of a series that's covered everything from gritty, urban street racing to gritty, urban Cannonball Run. SlashFilm posits that perhaps Dreamworks is just buying the name for brand cachet, and plans to craft its own specific narrative. That sounds likely and reasonable, but instead I'm going to get my hopes unrealistically up and demand that this be the two hour docudrama on the life of Razor Callahan I've been secretly hoping and praying for ever since I was first informed that Razor Callahan was a thing that existed.

C'mon, this movie practically writes itself. Specifically, it wrote itself back in 2001 and was called The Fast and the Furious.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

Because apparently somebody at Dreamworks got the wild hair up their ass that they needed their own movie franchise to compete with the Fast and the Furious series, Deadline is now reporting that the studio is on the verge of brokering a deal with EA for the rights to Need for Speed franchise.

The deal isn't done, but Deadline says that Dreamworks is in "pole position"--no, seriously, they actually wrote those words down and published them--to land the deal. The movie will come courtesy of John and George Gatins, the writer of Real Steel and the producer of She's Out of My League, respectively. Though this time, they apparently will be going with George as writer, and John as producer. So, this should go well.

Given that Need for Speed is something of a nebulous franchise, narratively speaking, one could be forgiven for wondering where, exactly, the hell anyone plans to pull a story out of a series that's covered everything from gritty, urban street racing to gritty, urban Cannonball Run. SlashFilm posits that perhaps Dreamworks is just buying the name for brand cachet, and plans to craft its own specific narrative. That sounds likely and reasonable, but instead I'm going to get my hopes unrealistically up and demand that this be the two hour docudrama on the life of Razor Callahan I've been secretly hoping and praying for ever since I was first informed that Razor Callahan was a thing that existed.

C'mon, this movie practically writes itself. Specifically, it wrote itself back in 2001 and was called The Fast and the Furious.

Staff
#2 Edited by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

Woot, without even trying!

Now my life has meaning

Edit: That video at the end had me cracking up, I haven't played a NFS is a while, is that really what they have come down to?

#3 Posted by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -

We already have this movie. It's called The Fast And The Furious.

#4 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

"For some reason"? Goddamn it, Alex! Mix up your fucking syntax! Fuck!

#5 Posted by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

We already have this movie. It's called The Fast And The Furious.

Yes and he states that in the first two setences

#6 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

ewwwww

#7 Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

@Napalm: I haven't used "for some reason" in a headline in months. MONTHS.

Staff
#8 Edited by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@Alex said:

Here's a tip Alex, ignore him, it's his nap time

Edit: Also, I feel like "for some reason" is extremely appropriate here.

#9 Posted by MeatSim (10760 posts) -

Razor Callahan or bust.

#10 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Alex said:

I'm honestly concerned that you might have a board somewhere with headline endings that you keep track of. ERASE THAT SHIT.

#11 Posted by Grelik (142 posts) -

Whiny article title? "because apparently" used? Must be an alex article.

#12 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

They could get that busty woman from that mediocre cable show to be in it.

#13 Posted by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@Grelik said:

Feel free to link to some of your work, since it's obviously better than his.

#14 Posted by csl316 (8090 posts) -

Expectations are way too high for me, so this'll be a constant disappointment.

Unfair? Probably.

#15 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Grelik said:

Sorry I know being snarky is hard but no need to hate just because someone has mastered the craft :)

#16 Posted by chilipeppersman (1145 posts) -

@Xeirus: word. ppl gotta stop giving navarro shit. hes a good writer, and better than any of us users. so if ur hating on him, fuck you and leave. your not wanted, and your just a hater.

#17 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -

You know, if they made the film based on Criterion's Hot Pursuit, and have wild car chases with suped up police cars with a plot, I might actually watch it.

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Makes some sense. I think it would be a better idea to just create a racing movie.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (35983 posts) -

Will Eddie Murphy be voicing one of the cars?

#20 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

gross

#21 Edited by Abendlaender (2757 posts) -

Finally!

Need For Speed: Razor's Revenge needs to happen

#22 Posted by ElectricBoogaloo (352 posts) -

To me, that cutscene isn't complete without Jeff's appearance:

Hell yeah we're doing this!

#23 Posted by CaLe (3910 posts) -

Movies are made every day. I dunno why people care when game movies are made.

#24 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

The passed like 5 Needs for Speed have been based on Fast and Furious...

Except for THE RUN, which was based on Cannonball Run of course.

@Video_Game_King said:

Eddie Murphy will play every role, as he usually does.

#25 Posted by smitty86 (697 posts) -

But will it tell the story of Blazer Callahan? That's the real question.

#26 Posted by icytower38 (461 posts) -

Throw in Jason Statham and I'm all in!

Still don't see a need at all, but that's mainstream Hollywood for you these days.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (35983 posts) -

@I_smell:

Then how will they fit Larry the Cable Guy into the mix?

#28 Posted by bybeach (4724 posts) -

I would understand that one driving/racing game that Jeff liked so much a while ago..I will think of the name for it. The one where the guy has the car crash in the beginning. There was a bit of an odd plot to it, would be kind of neat with the Steve Mcqueen reto 60's feel.

Need for speed...why?

#29 Posted by mordukai (7133 posts) -

Can't they just change the name on Gone in 60 Seconds?

#30 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

Will this movie satisfy peoples' fast & furious need for speed?

#31 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -

@bybeach said:

I would understand that one driving/racing game that Jeff liked so much a while ago..I will think of the name for it. The one where the guy has the car crash in the beginning. There was a bit of an odd plot to it, would be kind of neat with the Steve Mcqueen reto 60's feel.

Need for speed...why?

Driver San Fransisco and yeah I really dont know why they are doing this why not just put out another dumb fast and furious movie?

#32 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Why would you make a NFS movie, as Alex said, you already did, but without paying for the licenses.

BTW, Navario's fine.

#33 Posted by ProjektGill (752 posts) -

Oh god, I could totally see Michael Fassbender as Razor if they decide to keep the character.

#34 Posted by lordofultima (6208 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

Woot, without even trying!

Now my life has meaning

Edit: That video at the end had me cracking up, I haven't played a NFS is a while, is that really what they have come down to?

You're insane. That was the best era, for the story alone. The essence of Need for Speed is Razor Callahan, and segment races from NFS1.

#35 Posted by supercubedude (451 posts) -

Five Grand!

#36 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

@supercubedude: I literally logged in just to say that no one said Five Grand yet. Good work, son.

#37 Posted by Solh0und (1756 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Best comment of the article goes to.....

#38 Posted by DarkShaper (1320 posts) -

If you remove the context of it being a game, Need for Speed is a great title for a racing movie.

#39 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

I thought there was a mutual agreement that Need for Speed just became the proxy Fast and Furious in videogame form. 

#40 Posted by Calavero (86 posts) -

Oh man, I completely forgot about the awesomeness that is Razor Callahan. Best NFS game by far.

#41 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Everyone?

Best Need for Speed game right here.

#42 Posted by LKPOWER (154 posts) -

Jeff needs to be in this!!!! He's seen this coming for 5 years

#43 Posted by Begilerath (175 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

Everyone?

Best Need for Speed game right here.

YES! I was about to comment who is this Razor fool, Cross is the man... THE MAN

#44 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

I was some how under the impression that Need for Speed was a movie; called, "The Fast and the Furious!" But I guess I was wrong.

#45 Posted by Cybexx (1150 posts) -
#46 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -
@HadesTimes said:

I was some how under the impression that Need for Speed was a movie; called, "The Fast and the Furious!" But I guess I was wrong.

Maybe you should read the entire article next time, to make sure the writer didn't already use your joke. :P
#47 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

So a guy who has made shitty movies is going to make another shitty movie. I'll pass.

Okay, who am I kidding? I pass, for now, but I'll watch it on Netflix in about six months.

#48 Edited by Smokey_Earhole (473 posts) -
@Grelik
Don't forget that it's a thing. It is always a thing at all times.

What is it? It's apparently a thing, you know?
#49 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

That's...nice.

#50 Posted by divakchopra (86 posts) -

man this movie is gonna the best thing since sliced bread...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.