First Neo Geo X Handheld Gameplay

#1 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

Here's the first video footage of the Neo Geo X handheld in action.

The Neo Geo X launches this Christmas via online retailers priced at $200.

• "System within a system"

• Play on your HDTV by combining the NEOGEO X Handheld with the NEOGEO X Station or take the NEOGEO X Handheld wherever you go!

• Includes the NEOGEO X Joystick for a complete home arcade experience!

• 2 Player play on all compatible games when the NEOGEO X Handheld is connected to the NEOGEO X Station! (2nd Joystick sold seperately)

• 20 Classic NEOGEO Games pre-loaded on the NEOGEO X Handheld!

• MSRP: $199.99 USD

I'm in.

#2 Posted by living4theday258 (677 posts) -

never herd of it.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11421 posts) -

I still can't believe that this thing really exists.

#4 Posted by DarthOrange (3909 posts) -
#5 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

I love me some neo geo games, but 200 is way to much. At about half the price I would consider it.

#6 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

@DarthOrange:

You can add any Neo Geo game via emu.

@TechHits:

It is expensive, but I suppose it's in keeping with the brand. I'd like to get one, but I also want a Wii U this Xmas. If there's a limited run of these, I'll propbably fork out...

#7 Posted by CABBAGES (541 posts) -

Things like this are a bit late and expensive.

I have had many handheld consoles and phones and stuff that have played neo geo perfectly for years now and alot of them are a lot cheaper than this.

If this came out a few years ago it would be great but i think its too late now.

I still might get one :)

#8 Posted by MB (13155 posts) -

I have to buy one of these...I can't believe it's actually coming out. I remember when this was first posted here on Giant Bomb, many people thought it was fake.

#9 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I'm completely indifferent to the product as a whole, but man, the way that guy is holding and playing it in the video looks incredibly uncomfortable to me.

#10 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Looks pretty slick actually. I might actually have to take a closer look at that.

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@DarthOrange:

Like how? They got an online shop or do they just let people download ROMs willy-nilly?

I wouldn't mind playing som KOF or Windjammers on it.

#11 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

why does a handheld come with a joystick??

this is... what? mmugh

#12 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

@TeflonBilly said:

Looks pretty slick actually. I might actually have to take a closer look at that.

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

@DarthOrange:

Like how? They got an online shop or do they just let people download ROMs willy-nilly?

I wouldn't mind playing som KOF or Windjammers on it.

The device has a SD cart port for "media expansion". SNK would never officially condone using it to run ROM's, but they must know it's going to happen with this device.

@egg:

Because you can slot the handheld device into the "Neo Geo Station X" docking device that comes with it, as if it were a regular Neo Geo cart, then hook it all up to a HDTV and plug in two Neo Geo sticks (it comes with one stick).

#13 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Really? I didn't know that, suddenly this thing just became a whole lot more awesome.

#14 Edited by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

@TechHits:

Really : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Geo_X

It's great, well it's not that great, but it's great for fans. There are of course similar devices available for far cheaper, but as a package, being able to play on a HDTV with joysticks, I think it's a pretty sweet legacy item.

I can see Rot dancing with one now.

#15 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Well, I'm going to start saving my pennies. This is a dream come true. I might even sell my 360.

#16 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

I'm certainly tempted to get this.

#17 Posted by TheHT (11838 posts) -

That looks awfully uncomfortable to hold, especially for any extended length of time. Real clicky buttons, but I actually kinda like that.

It's cool that this thing exists, but if I really wanted to play NEO-GEO games I'd probably find another way.

#18 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

$200?

Uh.

Hmm.

#19 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -
#20 Posted by L44 (575 posts) -

Fuck it I'm in.

#21 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (634 posts) -

A new batch of pics have been released. Can't wait till December :P

#22 Posted by TechHits (1391 posts) -

hmmmm, how much for just the stick?

#23 Posted by SomeJerk (3403 posts) -

Is it still stuck stretching to 16:9 ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.