Hey, Remember That Weird Handheld Neo-Geo Thing? It Actually Exists

• 122 results
Posted by Alex (2389 posts) -

A number of you were incredibly skeptical when we reported a month or so ago that some mystery hardware manufacturer had licensed the Neo-Geo brand to create some kind of handheld device...thing...and frankly, you were right to be. While the reports came from reputable sources, the lack of an identified manufacturer, as well as the fact that the initial images of the device looked like a Photoshopped iPhone 4, certainly didn't build confidence in this being anything but a crappy bootleg, at best.

Holy hell, this thing is real.

So how totally bananas is it that this thing is apparently real? A press release went out this morning confirming the device's existence (evidently it is called the "Neo-Geo X"), and its manufacturer. As it turns out, Blaze, the makers of a number of different Genesis/MegaDrive-related handhelds, is putting the thing together, with official licensing from SNK. The system will come with 20 Neo-Geo classics of varying levels of classic-ness. The official list reads as follows:

There will also be an SD card slot on the device, presumably for the sake of adding additional games down the road, or maybe just so you can load photos onto it or something. No pricing has been announced yet, but it seems safe to assume it'll be a tad more expensive than Blaze's previous devices, but probably at least a bit cheaper than an actual Neo-Geo.

The Neo-Geo X is loosely scheduled for a Q2 2012 release. You can "register your interest" via this website, if so inclined. Or you could just go and make us Ultimate 11 and Top Players Golf pages, because we apparently still don't have those, which is shameful, I think.

#1 Posted by Alex (2389 posts) -

A number of you were incredibly skeptical when we reported a month or so ago that some mystery hardware manufacturer had licensed the Neo-Geo brand to create some kind of handheld device...thing...and frankly, you were right to be. While the reports came from reputable sources, the lack of an identified manufacturer, as well as the fact that the initial images of the device looked like a Photoshopped iPhone 4, certainly didn't build confidence in this being anything but a crappy bootleg, at best.

Holy hell, this thing is real.

So how totally bananas is it that this thing is apparently real? A press release went out this morning confirming the device's existence (evidently it is called the "Neo-Geo X"), and its manufacturer. As it turns out, Blaze, the makers of a number of different Genesis/MegaDrive-related handhelds, is putting the thing together, with official licensing from SNK. The system will come with 20 Neo-Geo classics of varying levels of classic-ness. The official list reads as follows:

There will also be an SD card slot on the device, presumably for the sake of adding additional games down the road, or maybe just so you can load photos onto it or something. No pricing has been announced yet, but it seems safe to assume it'll be a tad more expensive than Blaze's previous devices, but probably at least a bit cheaper than an actual Neo-Geo.

The Neo-Geo X is loosely scheduled for a Q2 2012 release. You can "register your interest" via this website, if so inclined. Or you could just go and make us Ultimate 11 and Top Players Golf pages, because we apparently still don't have those, which is shameful, I think.

#2 Posted by tyxja (281 posts) -

Wow, Pretty stoked!

#3 Posted by TheEvilCory (74 posts) -

woah

#4 Posted by shapeformer (5 posts) -

boom

#5 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Because this is bound to do well.

#6 Posted by theveej (854 posts) -

LOLz if this is not a front for some sort of criminal activity I will be really disappointed.

#7 Posted by NorseDudeTR (428 posts) -

This is absolutely INSANE.

#8 Posted by SSully (4324 posts) -

This actually looks kind of cool...

#9 Posted by Scotto (1221 posts) -

When people write shitty one word comments to try and get the first post "achievement", a rubber glove filled with sand should shoot out of their monitor and punch them in the face.

#10 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Why do I want to buy this 

#11 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

sold

#12 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

Crazy March strikes strikes again.

This is bana-fucking-nas!

#13 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (413 posts) -

Huh, Sega needs to try some crazy shit like this.

#14 Posted by mrsmiley (1146 posts) -

How random and awesome!

#15 Posted by BooDoug187 (369 posts) -

No Super Spy, no deal!

#16 Posted by falling_fast (2279 posts) -

@Scotto said:

When people write shitty one word comments to try and get the first post "achievement", a rubber glove filled with sand should shoot out of their monitor and punch them in the face.

well, now that they have all that extra cbs money, they can totally implement this ;]

#17 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

that is pretty appealing sold line up waiting on the price

#18 Posted by Ross (321 posts) -

This seems interesting. But we're happy to have you back with the video game side of stuff! Screened was great but Big Rigs, Robocop and Blackwater are better...well...you know what I mean.

#19 Posted by Terranova (605 posts) -

Wow things just get crazier and crazier first the GB news and now this thing turns out to be true, I wonder if Jeff is interested in one.

#20 Edited by dvorak (1497 posts) -
#21 Posted by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

@IndeedCodyBrown said:

Huh, Sega needs to try some crazy shit like this.

I love Sega, but they would find a way to screw it up. Man I miss my GameGear with rechargeable battery pack expansion. That was literally like holding a brick in your hand. It was so damn heavy and bulky and I miss it!

#22 Posted by jewunit (1064 posts) -

I have played most of the games that I would want to play on the system via the SNK Arcade Classics Collection. If the support for other Neo Geo games is there, I will consider purchasing it.

#23 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

weird

#24 Posted by ddensel (388 posts) -
#25 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3511 posts) -
#26 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

Well, now we know what Jeff is spending his money on.

#27 Posted by kollay (1939 posts) -

Well... shit.

I want one.

#28 Posted by Stapler (13 posts) -

Vita Price Drop incoming

year of the Neo-Geo

#29 Posted by Marcness (53 posts) -

If this exists, I HIGHLY doubt that SNK or any other studio is going to develop new games for it.

#30 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

WOW. I might actually get that if it's not too expensive.

#31 Edited by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -

I'll pick one up if...

#32 Posted by tsigo (102 posts) -

Hey, Alex? I can't believe you getting paid for writing is actually a thing.

#33 Posted by bucky (116 posts) -

Considering that the Neo Geo Pocket Color is the greatest handheld system of all time, I am very excited.

#34 Posted by Mcubed (63 posts) -

Is it strange that I kinda want this more than a Vita? Maybe it's just because this thing actually looks like it would fit in my pocket.

#35 Posted by fargofallout (303 posts) -

How much could they get away with charging for this thing? Is the demand that high for some portable gaming system that plays games from the early 90s?

#36 Edited by Jack_Lafayette (3466 posts) -

But are the L and R buttons still backwards? Because that drove me over the edge of insanity when I saw it in the last article. I MUST KNOW.

#37 Posted by doe3879 (819 posts) -

will i be able to plunge my NEOGEO cart in it and play them? (i would totally buy some cart if i could)

#38 Posted by LLJK_Jasta (288 posts) -

I must have one. HHNNNNGGGG. :|

#39 Posted by theveej (854 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

Correction, that sweet ass CBS corporate money. Although I would not be surprised if he buys one for himself with his own money..... its Jeff we are talking about here.

#40 Posted by LLJK_Jasta (288 posts) -

The screen doesn't seem to be the same aspect ratio as Neo-Geo games, though. :\ Like, 4:3 vs 16:9. Could be just my eyes, though.

#41 Posted by CaptainInvictus (199 posts) -

Alex really likes the word "apparently", apparently.

#42 Posted by Sanuku (16 posts) -

I`m wondering how expensive this One might become at the End.

#43 Posted by langdonx (119 posts) -
#44 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@theveej said:

@Stonyman65 said:

Correction, that sweet ass CBS corporate money. Although I would not be surprised if he buys one for himself with his own money..... its Jeff we are talking about here.

The company will buy one and he will order one right before the company one shows up and won't be bothered to return his :)

#45 Posted by Theavy (82 posts) -

HI ALEX!

#46 Posted by PXAbstraction (352 posts) -

Back when I was a retro game collector, the Neo-Geo stuff was the pride of my collection. Make this reasonably priced and I'll pre-order it.

#47 Posted by megalowho (978 posts) -

Looks slick. I don't need one, but seems like the kind of thing I might buy while drunkenly browsing Amazon late at night at some point.

#48 Posted by Suigyoken (188 posts) -

Okay I now want one again. Hopefully they'll keep up with production because if the price is within $100~150 I see it selling out quickly.

#49 Posted by JetForceGemini (174 posts) -

Could be neat. I hope it's not too expensive.

#50 Posted by MeatSim (10939 posts) -

Somebody is Releasing a Neo Geo system and Giant Bomb is now in the same building as GameSpot. The world has gone insane.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.