SNK Is Bringing Back the Neo-Geo, More or Less

• 173 results
Posted by Alex (2366 posts) -

Of all the console announcements one could have maybe, possibly predicted for this day, I sincerely doubt a new Neo-Geo system would have been atop anyone's lists. Or even in the middle somewhere. And yet, here we are.

Andriasang has the translation of a report from FamicomPlaza that debuts the new system, which essentially looks and sounds like a brand-new Neo-Geo Pocket with 20 Neo-Geo games built right in. In no particular order, those games will be the North American versions (with English text) of:

Guys? Today just got really, really weird.

The system itself measures 170x72x15mm (slightly larger than an iPhone), has a 4.3 inch screen, and two gigs of internal storage. As you can see from the above picture, the system uses a kind of analog "nub" as a control stick, and includes four face buttons. There are also four shoulder buttons (which you can see in the screens below), and ports for headphones, A/V out, and SD cards.

There are no reports yet on pricing, a potential release date, or exactly which regions are planned for release. Heck, we don't even know who the hardware manufacturer is. All we know is that somebody teamed up with SNK in 2012 to make a new frigging Neo-Geo Pocket, which is completely insane, and potentially kind of awesome--provided it isn't, as our own Jeff Gerstmann is predicting, "just a crappy audio/video playback device that happens to have 20 old Neo-Geo games built-in." That would kind of suck.

Whether or not it receives a worldwide release, you can bet your bootlegged copy of Art of Fighting that Jeff Gerstmann will import this thing and tell you all about it, because that's just the kind of thing Jeff Gerstmann does.

#1 Posted by Alex (2366 posts) -

Of all the console announcements one could have maybe, possibly predicted for this day, I sincerely doubt a new Neo-Geo system would have been atop anyone's lists. Or even in the middle somewhere. And yet, here we are.

Andriasang has the translation of a report from FamicomPlaza that debuts the new system, which essentially looks and sounds like a brand-new Neo-Geo Pocket with 20 Neo-Geo games built right in. In no particular order, those games will be the North American versions (with English text) of:

Guys? Today just got really, really weird.

The system itself measures 170x72x15mm (slightly larger than an iPhone), has a 4.3 inch screen, and two gigs of internal storage. As you can see from the above picture, the system uses a kind of analog "nub" as a control stick, and includes four face buttons. There are also four shoulder buttons (which you can see in the screens below), and ports for headphones, A/V out, and SD cards.

There are no reports yet on pricing, a potential release date, or exactly which regions are planned for release. Heck, we don't even know who the hardware manufacturer is. All we know is that somebody teamed up with SNK in 2012 to make a new frigging Neo-Geo Pocket, which is completely insane, and potentially kind of awesome--provided it isn't, as our own Jeff Gerstmann is predicting, "just a crappy audio/video playback device that happens to have 20 old Neo-Geo games built-in." That would kind of suck.

Whether or not it receives a worldwide release, you can bet your bootlegged copy of Art of Fighting that Jeff Gerstmann will import this thing and tell you all about it, because that's just the kind of thing Jeff Gerstmann does.

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (19042 posts) -

Amazing.

#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

My body is ready.

#4 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

I want it so bad.

#5 Posted by Eojay (184 posts) -

All of my money. Take it.

#6 Posted by DeathbyYeti (759 posts) -

who asked for this?

#7 Posted by Lifestrike (482 posts) -

Why World Heroes 1?

Everyone knows it was best at World Heroes II.

#8 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

So, yeah, I'm going to buy one of these, even if it kinda sucks, just for novelty's sake.

#9 Posted by Galois (7 posts) -

This is now the only portable system I'm interested in.

#10 Posted by Winternet (8034 posts) -

woot!!!

#11 Edited by RedHatDrew (335 posts) -

Wow! SNK Playmore modded the shit out of that PSP Go!

#12 Edited by Catarrhal (847 posts) -

The only thing I don't understand is--why does this thing have analog controls?

#13 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

Looks pretty slick, but don't include all those fighting games and ask me to play them on an analog nub, come on. And those shoulder buttons look less than amazing to use.

#14 Posted by Depth (357 posts) -

That thing looks really nice and i want it now.

#15 Posted by hwy_61 (941 posts) -

I'm on board.

#16 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

looks like a cheap iPhone knockoff.

#17 Posted by flufflogic (291 posts) -

Metal Slug, KOF, Samurai Shodown AND Fatal Fury? I'm IN.

#18 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

I was born in 1992. What in the hell is a Neo Geo?

#19 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Looks expensive.

#20 Posted by Alex (2366 posts) -

@fisher81: Do you even click on the links I include in these articles? Sheesh.

#21 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

What.

#22 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3447 posts) -

GIVE ME SAMURAI SHOWDOWN II, LAST BLADE 2, MARK OF THE WOLVES, AOF 3, AND MATRIMELEE AND I AM SOLD. ALSO RISE OF THE DRAGONS AND WAKU WAKU 7. Thank you.

#23 Posted by KaneRobot (1779 posts) -

My favorite Neo Geo memory is when the home console was fairly new and the 200+ dollar games were in full swing. People were writing in to EGM about how horrible the Neo Geo was, so a Neo Geo owner wrote in and after spouting off about how wealthy he was and how superior the Neo Geo was, declared "Not all people are created equal, and those with the money will buy the system."

#24 Posted by Dezinus (315 posts) -

Well... this is something.

#25 Posted by Little_Socrates (5693 posts) -

I want one.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#27 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (282 posts) -

My wallet is open. Take it all and give it to me.

#28 Posted by Narx (174 posts) -
#29 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Alright, sure.

#30 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -

Holy shit, yes!

#31 Posted by Winternet (8034 posts) -

After the initial shock of this being awesome, this is my reactions:

• Top Player's Golf should be Neo Turf Masters
  • Samurai Shodown should be Samurai Shodown II
  • King Of Fighters '94 should be King Of Fighters '98

Oh, and this is awesome!

#32 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Holy shit, do the people making these decisions live in a bunker without contact with the outside world?

#33 Edited by Maxwell_Adams (17 posts) -

Um... it's widescreen?

#34 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

I had a Neo Geo Pocket Color. This might be kinda cool.

#35 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Winternet said:

After the initial shock of this being awesome, this is my reactions:

• Top Player's Golf should be Neo Turf Masters
  • Samurai Shodown should be Samurai Shodown II
  • King Of Fighters '94 should be King Of Fighters '98

Oh, and this is awesome!

If you were a lady, I'd follow you home at night and steal your mail.

#36 Edited by paulunga (2101 posts) -

The included games list is a bit strange. Some pretty obvious ones missing there. I really hope you can download more games later on. Like some other Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown (and by that I mean 2) and King of Fighters games.

But basically I want Matrimelee and KoF 98 and I'm sold.

#37 Posted by AlKusanagi (959 posts) -

I will buy the FUCK out of this thing!

Although I wish it came loaded with actual Neo Pocekt games... MAtch of the Millennium and Cardfighters Clash are still godly.

#38 Posted by steevl (203 posts) -
#39 Posted by SpaceRunaway (870 posts) -

I said as much in the earlier thread, but this pretty much looks to be no different from any of the myriad number of Chinese portable emulators you can buy.  Take off the branding and there's nothing about the design which says Neo-Geo (Like you know, shoulder buttons, for all the Neo Games).  The difference is that SNKP is licensing it, but it's still the same first generation games that are now available to play anywhere.  Which doesn't really matter, as you can still just put the roms of the games that you really want to play.

I can't fault anyone who wants this, but personally, looking at it breaks my heart a little.

#40 Posted by edgeCrusher (186 posts) -

Before we all whip out our credit cards to pre-order one, how sure are we that this thing is legit? Andriasang mentions that the manufacturer is unknown, and the device uses the old SNK logo, a defunct company. Legally the current IP holder of the old SNK games is SNK Playmore. That and the iPhone knockoff styling smells of Chinese bootleg.

#41 Posted by Winternet (8034 posts) -

@steevl said:

No WindJammers, no sale.

Oh man. You're being too harsh, but WindJammers is sooo good.

#42 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -

I might get it if it's cheap.

#43 Posted by Taiyo (61 posts) -

Haha, it looks like an iPhone with four buttons and a control stick glued on.

#44 Posted by TheYear20XX (426 posts) -

MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC is back!

#45 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -

I wish Apple released this as the iPhone 5 to troll their fans XD

#46 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

PSVita, beware!

#47 Posted by Zaxex (593 posts) -

That image does look like what it would take to make the iPhone a gaming system.

#48 Posted by CakeBomb (222 posts) -

This is really great (and extremely odd) news, but they should have put more games in, they're not that big and there are some notable omissions like Neo Turf Masters and Shock Troopers.

If it accepts ROMs from the SD card like that Mega Drive portable console, it would be great, but I bet it's just for audio, video and pictures.

#49 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Will it also play Neo Geo Pocket (Color) games? Or are the people at SNK and Mystery Company Inc. just misleading assholes?

#50 Posted by superscott597 (109 posts) -

Totally looks like an iPhone 4 converted into a gaming device...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.