Have you ever finished Nethack?

#1 Posted by Immuniity (241 posts) -

Its been around for 26 years, so its not like you havn't had the time. Have you ever recovered the amulet of Yendor and lived to tell the tale?

#2 Posted by LutonHatter (331 posts) -
#3 Posted by DEVILinIRON (30 posts) -

I have been playing it for at least ten years and I have never been close to beating it.  But that is what makes this game great!  Spoilers be damned!  I refuse to read them.

#4 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

I've gotten I think halfway through Gehenomm, but that's about it, and that was only getting lucky and getting a bag of holding, amulet of reflection, Cleaver and Stormbringer, and a few other artifacts.  I've been playing since middleschool so... eventually I will!

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

No, but the fun part about nethack, at least for me wasnt playing it, it was programing it. I programed a nethack clone from the ground up.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Oh hell no. I can't finish any roguelikes, I'm absolutely hopeless.

#7 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -
@Dagbiker: That must have been a tremoundous undertaking for one guy.  I think that's better than beating nethack.

@MikkaQ said:

Oh hell no. I can't finish any roguelikes, I'm absolutely hopeless.

I wouldn't say hopeless... I would say not quite dedicated enough?  I mean for nethack I've spent years with it and I know I haven't learned everything there is yet, but a good part of it I still have locked in my stupid brain.  That get's me at least to medusa's lair every time. 
#8 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11736 posts) -

Nope. I can't muster the patience to finish what is considered an "easy" rougelike (Dungeons of Dredmor), so the ultra-hardcore, ultra-WTFness of Nethack has never appealed to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.