Here's my opinion so far on NeverDead:

#1 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I'm enjoying this game. I want to emphasis, though, that this game is not a third-person shooter as we've come to expect them this generation. The music is great, and I enjoy the humor. Certainly not a triple-a title, but I am having a lot of fun with it.

So far, it's really easy for you to lose your limbs which can be frustrating sometimes in combat, since you have to essentially focus on picking up your limbs to continue fighting. You can still fire your guns, for example, if your arm gets cut off, but I don't know how good of a solution this is, since I'm not sure if your arm auto-targets enemies or not. I wouldn't call the mechanics broken as this is their mechanical tradeoff for dying, so to speak. As expected, the actual look of you rolling around with your arm(s) attached to your head is pretty hilarious and goofy. It looks like there are some minor puzzles involved with the dismemberment, though nowhere near on the level of a, let's say, Duke Nukem Forever. I only wish Bryce wouldn't talk so much when he loses his limbs. I have a feeling I might hear the same lines a dozen times over before I'm done with the game.

The game also gives you an upgrade mechanic which seems like it will be useful in the future, such as more gun damage, higher jumping height (which I can already see the uses for).

So far, the game is great, goofy fun. Reminds me a lot of character action games with guns from the PlayStation 2 generation, which is a good thing. Nothing overly ambitious, but it does what it does well enough. I'd say this a solid three stars, in my opinion.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22575 posts) -

It looks ok, and after seeing this:

It definitely looks like the kind of game that can make me chuckle. But even still, it's nothing I'd ever want to throw full-price at; too many other games coming out that I'm much more interested in March alone, so I'll only buy it if I ever spot it for like a tenner.

#3 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Fair enough. I enjoy these types of goofy, b-games, and it sits pretty solidly in this territory. There's nothing broken, or actively wrong with it, but it is a solid experience that blends gun combat, minor puzzles, humor and swordplay.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (22575 posts) -

@Napalm: Is the frame-rate ok? I remember it looking pretty dicey during some of the gameplay trailers.

#5 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Abyssfull: Yeah, framerate is solid so far, and I've had a lot of explosions on screen at once so far. The game is a nice balance, I will admit. I just rolled around as just a head on the bottom floor of a warehouse, picking up collectibles and shit, in a pretty goofy manner. I just got off a minor tangent: the balance is nice because there are times when you can kill everything with your pistols, other times when certain creatures only die by your sword, so you have to mix and match your play-style, which is nice. Also, the environments are destructible, so that's another gameplay benefit to keep an eye on. I almost wish they gave you grenades or something. But, maybe that's later on. Also, constantly have to bounce and roll around so you don't lose all of your limbs, which will happen a lot regardless.

#6 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

I got this game for review before the weekend, sadly didn't have time to play it because it was my birthday, but I'm about halfway through the game, and I think it's quite awesome, not game of the year material, but an original game that is quite fun to play/watch, the humor is better than expected, and while it might get a little repetitive towards the end, it's a good time, not for full price though.

#7 Posted by BitterAlmond (400 posts) -

How can you lose if you're immortal?

#8 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@Abyssfull: I almost wish they gave you grenades or something. But, maybe that's later on. Also, constantly have to bounce and roll around so you don't lose all of your limbs, which will happen a lot regardless.

Don't know how far you are, but later on you learn to rip your arms off, and there is a purchasable ability for turning limbs into explosives.

@BitterAlmond said:

How can you lose if you're immortal?

Get your head sucked up by small monsters.

#9 Posted by cosi83 (422 posts) -

Going to get on rental. Konami's approval and all

#10 Posted by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

Sounds positive.  The trailer for the game definitely hooked me, so if the story is fun than all I ask is that the gameplay is passable.

#11 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Saw a walkthrough of it on youtube. 

Seems like a crossbreed of shadows of the damned (in terms of it's b level quality) and Hellboy (in terms of tone) 

Seems enjoyable and i'm Interested in buying it but not at full price

Also they say that the swordplay involves moving the Right stick rather than a button press which seems kinda crummy

#12 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

I'm playing it right now on hardcore and I think my only major issue with it is you have to babysit your partner. It doesn't help that every time she goes down she lets out one of those loud female shrieks with a bad static radio effect. Gets quite annoying after a while with headphones on. The limb thing at first is kind of cool, it may end up being a nuisance later on but as it stands right now I think it's pretty awesome rolling around as a head with two arms attached firing guns.

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9728 posts) -

@Napalm:

Have you died yet?

#14 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

This game opens strongly, but now it's all beginning to feel like more of a choir than anything else.

@JasonR86 said:

@Napalm:

Have you died yet?

Yes.

@WilltheMagicAsian: Fuck that, man. I started it on normal.

#15 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

@Napalm: I don't think I'm going to have it in me for a second playthrough, so I'm trying to maximize the amount of achievements I'll get.

Edit: Kind of regretting this decision.

#16 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian: I'm already not enjoying the game as much I was. They keep introducing these enemies that can't be killed with your guns, but the second you get close to use the sword, they just fucking auto-dismember you and then you have to take like, thirty seconds picking up all of your limbs and to get away before they hit you again, and you end up getting caught in an endless cycle of not being able to escape because they keep hammering you.

#17 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

@Napalm: Yeah, it's starting to annoy me too. This game may actually ruin Michelle Ruff for me with these screams.

#18 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian: Have you gotten to the train section yet?

#19 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

This has been a game I've been interested in for awhile now. It's not one of those games that I want to buy at full price though and since we no longer have any rental stores around (Blockbuster abandoned Canada as far as I can tell) I'll be waiting for a price drop.

I like that you compare it to PS2 games though. Good memories.

Also, side note, triple-a does not indicate quality. It's more about how much money a studio puts into marketing. I assume you meant it as quality cause this game has had no marketing that I can tell. I forgot it was even coming out until a few weeks ago.

#20 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@SuperWristBands: I'm starting to come around on Alex's opinion. I haven't run into any game-breaking bugs, but goddamn. Goddamn it.

#21 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

@Napalm: Not yet, I'm currently fighting what I assume is the first boss while the game is reminding me every minute that it has a "shiny rear end" and that it's its weak point.

#22 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian: I've only fought two bosses I think so far, and I can't even remember which one you're talking about. I think it's the museum boss?

#23 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

@Napalm: It's Sword Pig, at least that's what the game says. It has like two sets of legs, a furry tail and glows blue.

Edit: Okay, fuck these nests, fuck them hard.

Edit2: I just noticed they had explosive balls on them, I was just making this harder on myself.

Edit3: For shits and giggles I went to check out the multiplayer and there's not one active lobby.

#24 Posted by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

I hear that you'll be seeing a lot of the same bosses in this game...

#25 Posted by awesomeusername (4218 posts) -

It seems like you guys are starting to get annoyed by it. That's because it's impossible to have fun playing a game from Rebellion!

#26 Posted by CaptainCody (1521 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

It looks ok, and after seeing this:

It definitely looks like the kind of game that can make me chuckle. But even still, it's nothing I'd ever want to throw full-price at; too many other games coming out that I'm much more interested in March alone, so I'll only buy it if I ever spot it for like a tenner.

That bed tech. Jab at it as much as you want, but this game looks pretty fucking good.

#27 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

I recorded some audio from my game to so you guys can hear your partner's down screams.

Edit: I guess you can't use the audio tag when you post HTML?

Well it's here.

#28 Posted by Panpipe (477 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

I recorded some audio from my game to so you guys can hear your partner's down screams.

Edit: I guess you can't use the audio tag when you post HTML?

Well it's here.

HA! Made me burst out laughing.

Reminds me of the sound design from Metal Gear. That music in the background and the effects put on the voices.

#29 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

@Abyssfull: So lemme get this straight: he brushed his teeth with no toothpaste, shit his pants, then took a shower with his clothes on. This guy knows what's up.

#30 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@CaptainCody: It's questionable.
#31 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

Just finished the game, aaaaand the final two boss fights are terrible, the game picks up the pace towards the end with some good action scenes though. Overall it's probably a 3/5, pretty good ideas, not the best execution.

#32 Posted by LEGOslayer (10 posts) -

I still want this game even with the apparent frustrations. I love when games try something new. Even if the games overall aren't that great I always have fun trying out new concepts. One of the reviews I saw(I think it was IGN's) said that this game was this year's Fracture/Timeshift/Dark Void which isn't a bad thing in my book.

#33 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@JacDG said:

Just finished the game, aaaaand the final two boss fights are terrible, the game picks up the pace towards the end with some good action scenes though. Overall it's probably a 3/5, pretty good ideas, not the best execution.

How many hours did it take you?

I'm at the train station now, attempting to fight my way in the dark. I'm ready to take back everything I said about this game. It isn't much fun right now.

#34 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

Still liking this game?  Looks kinda fun and weird enough I might pick it up.

#35 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@JacDG said:

How many hours did it take you?

I'm at the train station now, attempting to fight my way in the dark. I'm ready to take back everything I said about this game. It isn't much fun right now.

About 10 I would assume, I'd say you are about half way right now, I was frustrated around that part as well, arguably the worst section of the game, but there are some pretty neat action sequences later on, which made it worth seeing through for me, even though I hated the last few boss fight.

@mfpantst said:

Still liking this game? Looks kinda fun and weird enough I might pick it up.

Don't pay full price,

#36 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

I'm truly surprised with all the reactions here considering it hasn't had exactly a good reception. But I know reviews are interesting an I'm glad people seem to enjoy it, it seems like a very weird/interesting game

#37 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@JacDG: Cool, I wont! :)
#38 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@JacDG: Yeah, now I'm fighting on a bridge with a bunch of crazy shit going on. The game has definitely picked up a bit. I enjoy this game way more when it's just Bryce fighting these smaller guys, and not having to deal with extraneous elements or circumstances.

@mfpantst said:

Still liking this game? Looks kinda fun and weird enough I might pick it up.

The game is needlessly frustrating in spots, but when it picks up, it gets way more fun.

#39 Posted by GaZZuM (445 posts) -

@LEGOslayer said:

I still want this game even with the apparent frustrations. I love when games try something new. Even if the games overall aren't that great I always have fun trying out new concepts. One of the reviews I saw(I think it was IGN's) said that this game was this year's Fracture/Timeshift/Dark Void which isn't a bad thing in my book.

There aren't really any new concepts there though. You can still die, and when you're vulnerable you still have to evade enmies until your "health" recharges (ie. until you can spawn your limbs back). They've tried to make it look like an original concept, but that just makes it all the more frustrating when you realise it's just re-skinned game concepts you've already seen a million times.

#40 Posted by Forever_Malone (5 posts) -

I loved when Byrce drank a beer from the fridge and then put the empty bottle back in the fridge.

I wished the guns had more usefulness. They aren't as bad as the first Transformers Movie game where the guns did nada but I'm almost exclusively using the sword (I found a new sword too! Upgrades!)

#41 Posted by Ares42 (2797 posts) -

About halfway through the game and so far I'm not really seeing the bad. Sure the game is by no means a GOTY contender or anything, but I've yet to run into anything that really frustrated me or didn't work well. I'm sure it has a lot to do with expectations, but so far the game just seems like a "not great" game, or rather to use Jeffs word "I definitely don't hate it" :P Compared to something like say Space Marine from last year I just don't see a big quality difference.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.