Is anyone else excited to finally play as an immortal character?

• 57 results
#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

You know, I wasn't expecting a lot from Neverdead. Before Konami's 2011 press confrence, I thought this just looked like another boring third person action game.

Boy was I wrong.

In Neverdead, not only will you get to play a third person action game with familiar third person controls, but everything is also completely new and original. That's all thanks to the game's immortal character, an immortal character who can't die.

The game stars an immortal character named Bryce, an immortal demon hunter.  The game's story starts over 500 years ago when Bryce loses an epic battle with a demon who curses him with immortality, the inability to die, this was 500 years ago. Not only can Bryce not die, because he is immortal, but the game developers also worked out the game mechanics first, making sure the game worked before developing it. That's how you know being immortal is really going to change the game up.

Bryce also can't die, which means that he can do things most main characters cannot. This is because he is immortal. Since he is immortal, he can't die by losing his head or limbs like most game characters, his immortality giving him the ability to survive these conditions that would kill most main characters.

Not only that, but I am also a fan of Megadeth and standing in graveyards, Neverdead also was developed by teams coming from both Eastern and Western cultures, cultures that share different ideas about immortality, the inability to die.

Did I mention that the main character can't die? In Neverdead, you play as an immortal demon hunter who can't die. I cannot overstate how excited I am to be able to play a game in which the main character is immortal, immortality being the inability to die. This is really going to change up the boring third person action game template that I will enjoy playing more of in Neverdead thanks to having an immortal character. An immortal character who can't die.

Are you guys also excited about finally having a game in which the main character cannot die?

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

I dunno, an honest look says that most Konami games without Kojima aren't that good... 
...but who knows.   

It looks okay.

#3 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

The redundancy of the reveal was pretty grating... but dude, it kind of sold me when I saw the guy flopping around with no arms or legs to pick his limbs back up.  It looks like it could be fun.

#4 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
Not only that, but I am also a fan of Megadeth
Really, that was the most exciting thing about the new trailer for me.  I want to wait a little bit and see some more gameplay before I pass any sort of real judgement on the game.
#5 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2507 posts) -
@xobballox said:
The redundancy of the reveal was pretty grating... but dude, it kind of sold me when I saw the guy flopping around with no arms or legs to pick his limbs back up.  It looks like it could be fun.
Agreed.
If we were playing a drinking game for how many times he said immortal in that reveal, we'd all be hammered & on the floor.

The game itself looks like it has some potential to be pretty good.  It'd be cool if they use the limb-removing mechanics for some light puzzle solving, possibly also for boss battles.  Really, the main character seems cool, and I like his voice actor, can't speak too much for the quality of the rest of the English cast.
Also, Megadeth, fuck yeah.
#6 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I wouldn't say excited but I'm really interested in the immortal concept since death in video games has always been a staple of setting the player back.

#7 Posted by FreakAche (2954 posts) -

Wait, hold on a second. Can the main character die?

#8 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

People seem to forget that you couldn't die in the 2008 Prince of Persia game.

#9 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
People seem to forget that you couldn't die in the 2008 Prince of Persia game.
BUT DID YOUR HEAD FALL OFF?! 

I DIDNT THINK SO!
#10 Posted by GunstarRed (5212 posts) -

Thought the game looked pretty cool. I liked how he pulls his own head off, Im hoping you can throw it at enemies.
#11 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

That band is Megadeth. That is all you need to know.

#12 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -
Planescape. There were a few spots you could permanently die but for the most part you were immortal. 

Interested in this game.
#13 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
No! That's the best part. His head can come off and he won't even die, because he's immortal!
#14 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -

So you could just walk up to the enemy and not worry about being killed?
Seems like you have nothing to lose, but I guess that's what happens when you live for 500+ years.

#15 Posted by Axersia (1615 posts) -
#16 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
@FreakAche said:
No! That's the best part. His head can come off and he won't even die, because he's immortal!
WHAT!? That's supposed to be how you kill immortals! These guys have CLEARLY never seen Highlander.
#17 Posted by NegativeCero (3005 posts) -

Well the last game I can think of that used this immortal thing, Knights Contract, just made it so your dumb A.I. partner was your health. That turned out horribly, though. Maybe this one will be better.

#18 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I'm so sick of my immortal characters that die, its so refreshing to see one that can't.

#19 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2507 posts) -
@NegativeCero said:
Well the last game I can think of that used this immortal thing, Knights Contract, just made it so your dumb A.I. partner was your health. That turned out horribly, though. Maybe this one will be better.
Hopefully there's no health bar.  Hopefully the challenge will come from keeping yourself from getting blasted apart into pieces.

Think about it, whats the difference between dying, and re-loading from your last checkpoint, or getting blown into pieces and having to roll your head around on the ground and pick them back up?
There's still a penalty for both, so there's still a reason to not just run up to enemies and kill em'

That is, if it's done correctly.  I'm still making a whole lot of hopeful assumptions about this game.
#20 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

Megadeth is a pretty cool band, but what about Immortal?

#21 Posted by Roger778 (958 posts) -

I want to see some gameplay first. 

I'm intrigued though, about playing a character who can't die.
#22 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
I saw that he said he Couldn't about..20 times 
#23 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

Planescape Torment sequel: CONFIRMED.

#24 Edited by Rudeboy217 (1769 posts) -

I didn't find anything from the trailer to be very compelling so I will wait until some actual gameplay is shown before deciding.

#25 Posted by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

so long as he is immortal and can't die, I am on board

#26 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

They got me at Megadeth.

#27 Posted by MechaEspio (40 posts) -
#28 Posted by Enigma777 (6074 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
Are you guys also excited about finally having a game in which the main character cannot die?
No, because this is not the first game to have an immortal main character. Heinrich in Knights Contract was also immortal. In a lesser sense, Wolverine in Wolverine Origins was also immortal since he couldn't die, just pass out. 
#29 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

You could use your arm to control people, throw an organ like a grenade, and use your head like a bowling ball in Stubbs the Zombie. 

Oh and fart, but that's not relevant.

#30 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

It would be a fine gameplay mechanic were it not like the main selling point of the game.

#31 Posted by Icemael (6326 posts) -

I guess it could be cool? Mostly it just makes me think of how awesome a Blade of the Immortal game could be. 

@KaosAngel said: 
I dunno, an honest look says that most Konami games without Kojima aren't that good... ...but who knows.    It looks okay.
Most Konami games with Kojima aren't that good, either.
#32 Posted by InuorDie (18 posts) -

Lava calls bullshit on immortals

#33 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
This guy is *gasp* also immortal. As in, he can't even die, ever. 
#34 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

One should not be excited to play a game developed by the guys that made Rogue Warrior, Shellshock 2, and Alien vs Predator. 

#35 Posted by firewrkninja (227 posts) -

so the main character is mortal?

#36 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -
#37 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac
You beat me to it.  
#38 Posted by DystopiaX (5315 posts) -

The part of the trailer where the dude had no legs but was limping around shooting at dudes looked crazy and totally awesome. No idea if I'll pick it up but it sure looks interesting.

#39 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

But, did you see the dude flopping around with no legs still trying to fuck bitches up? LOL, this could be good. Good concept.

#40 Posted by Khadyn (228 posts) -
@xobballox said:
Agree...I think most people will get this for either A: Never Die or B: To constantly say WTF? while laughing their asses off because the game play videos Konami was showing were seriously funny as hell (and also the simple fact the TNT chat comments were freakin hilarious because I don't think anyone saw that coming when it was announced).
#41 Posted by Rafaelfc (1350 posts) -

Maybe I am way too old at this point, buuuut Chakan for the genesis was the first videogame character (at least as far as I remember) to be immortal and the goal of the game was to get him to die.

#42 Posted by Omega (835 posts) -

If I remember correctly Eek the cat in the game Eek! the Cat was immortal. The goal of each level was to get some old lady from point A to point B unmolested. Eek, on the other hand, was allowed to be maimed in a variety of ways and would never die. Game Over would occur if the Granny was hurt. 

It was an interesting idea but I don't remember it being all that good. 

#43 Posted by MisterDunlap (245 posts) -

I've been stoked for this game since an article came out for it in GI a few months back.

#44 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

what about Kirby in epic yarn? 

#45 Edited by elcalavera (344 posts) -

You guys haven't played Planescape Torment.

Edit: (I should've read more than the original post..)

#46 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

So what is it that kil-- err, that.. stops you? what does the player try to avoid if he's, and i quote you, immortal ? 

i demand answers.

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
So what is it that kil-- err, that.. stops you? what does the player try to avoid if he's, and i quote you, immortal ?  i demand answers.
The big question is...Can he die. 
#48 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2507 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

So what is it that kil-- err, that.. stops you? what does the player try to avoid if he's, and i quote you, immortal ? i demand answers.

My guess is enemies would be able to lob your limbs off which would let you fight less effectively, and you'd have to go retrieve them. That's what it looks like from the trailer, anyways.

#49 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

The idea is cool but the execution looks terrible.

#50 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@FreakAche said:

Ah, I think I understand now, but I'm not confident in my understanding of the immortality of the immortal main character of NeverDead, a game in which you play as an immortal demon hunter who can't die, but thanks for trying to clear things up for me anyway, ty and also brad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.