Konami Announces NeverDead

• 61 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

One of the men behind a myriad of Metal Gear Solid titles and the studio behind Rogue Warrior and Shellshock 2: Blood Trails are teaming up to create a new IP set to be published by Konami. The game, NeverDead, which was announced earlier at Konami's E3 media briefing, appears to be a Devil May Cry-esque experience that will have you shooting and slicing demons in an infested present-day environment. 

The hook is that the lead character can't die--Rebellion and Shinta Nojiri are implementing something of a reverse Dead Space mechanic where the protagonist can reassemble his dismembered body parts after having been disassembled. Sounds delightful, right?

NeverDead is set to hit the Xbox 360 and PS3 at an unannounced time.       

Image via Kotaku.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

One of the men behind a myriad of Metal Gear Solid titles and the studio behind Rogue Warrior and Shellshock 2: Blood Trails are teaming up to create a new IP set to be published by Konami. The game, NeverDead, which was announced earlier at Konami's E3 media briefing, appears to be a Devil May Cry-esque experience that will have you shooting and slicing demons in an infested present-day environment. 

The hook is that the lead character can't die--Rebellion and Shinta Nojiri are implementing something of a reverse Dead Space mechanic where the protagonist can reassemble his dismembered body parts after having been disassembled. Sounds delightful, right?

NeverDead is set to hit the Xbox 360 and PS3 at an unannounced time.       

Image via Kotaku.
#2 Posted by I_love_Eva_Braun (481 posts) -

cool

#3 Posted by Gutlieb (87 posts) -

nice

#4 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

Never Dead huh?

#5 Posted by Buckwyld (32 posts) -

What if my head explodes?

#6 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3134 posts) -

This will be great if it lets me finish off an enemy and then crawl half a mile to recover my lower torso from when I whiffed a dodge earlier in the fight.

#7 Posted by Waffles13 (611 posts) -

Strategic Memberment?

#8 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

at least the premise is original, I want to see some gameplay of this (in non cinematic trailer form that is)

#9 Posted by XenoNick (1483 posts) -

Looks intresting

#10 Posted by bcjohnnie (442 posts) -
@Waffles13 said:
" Strategic Memberment? "
That's the name of my band's new album... the cover is... a bit explicit
#11 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

This is something I have wanted in a game for a while: the ability to lose body parts and it affect how you play! 

In the trailer, it showed various things like him having to hop on one leg, or spin the lower half of his torso in circles similar to Bayonetta. Your animation and how you play changes. Should be cool!

#12 Posted by RageKage14 (69 posts) -

Sounds interesting...

#13 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

''Studio behind Rogue Warrior''

...... fantastic..

#14 Posted by ianjmills (24 posts) -

cool

#15 Posted by TheRadioByeBye (12 posts) -

There's certainly some interesting ideas going on this game, so it really is a shame that it's not in the hands of a more competent studio.

#16 Posted by zi11ion (6 posts) -

So... could this game also be called "No Fail State"?

#17 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

more bad mouthed ryhmes is always a good thing

#18 Posted by Yummylee (22587 posts) -

Well I already appreciate it for its attempt at innovation.

#19 Posted by CornBREDX (6080 posts) -

So then whats the conflict if you cant die? 

Interesting Idea, i'll look out for it. Just kinda weird to throw that out there. "Ya, the player character never dies..."
#20 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4610 posts) -

Hopefully your limbs reassemble on their own, and don't get stuck in the environment. Otherwise the whole game is gonna be "Where the FUCK is my FUCKING LEG GOD FUCKING DAMMIT"

#21 Posted by DrLove (361 posts) -

looks really interesting, hopefully it will produce.

#22 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6407 posts) -

I think the idea is solid, and if the gameplay is halfway decent, I'll be stoked.
#23 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

Rock and roll, mutherfucker. Rock and roll.

#24 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

"Rebellion Entertainment's next great title." ...is that sarcasm?

I never died in Bioshock so i can't really call it innovating til i see what they do with things mechanically.  

Looks like an interesting idea but if there isn't a sequence where ya have to cut off yer own arm and then have it crawl to a place you can't get to to open a gate you need to get through, i'd call it a wasted opportunity.

#25 Posted by PasteyMF (6 posts) -

What's this I hear about Konami's conference being the ultimate in wacky hijinx? You guys should sound off about it on the Bombcast.

#26 Posted by Gravatix (31 posts) -

Rebellion eh? Rogue Warrior/AVP Rebellion.  Hmmmm... not so sure about this but maybe there will be sweet rhymes busted during the credits!!

#27 Posted by Suigyoken (188 posts) -

As long as Rebellion isn't pushed for a date then it might be okay?...

#28 Posted by Parabole (216 posts) -

Sounds a lot like Wolverine: Origins and Splatterhouse, but even then Wolverine could only take so much damage until he couldn't regenerate again. Also, Splatterhouse has rick clubbing enemies with his severed arm! Just thought that was cool.

#29 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Wait... Didn't Rebellion go bankrupt?

#30 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

-new action game like devil may cry- 
awesome! 
-makers of rogue warrior and shellshock 2- 
pass...

#31 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

This is a really cool idea, I just hope rebellion can execute it.

#32 Posted by neochadnezzar (27 posts) -

Looks kind of cool, color me cautiously optimistic.

#33 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -
@ChickenPants said:
" ''Studio behind Rogue Warrior''  ...... fantastic.. "
Exactly!  What's not to like?  Golden.
#34 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
#35 Posted by shades846 (158 posts) -

looks again very grey the colour of choice of the modern game

#36 Posted by Toxin066 (3330 posts) -

The trailer for this game on the Konami press conference was pretty sweet.

#37 Posted by CaptainFish (454 posts) -

Dude, Rogue Warrior and Shellshock are two baaad games. (I played shellshock recently as well). I can't say I like the pedigree. Shellshock did do a fairly good Vietnam atmosphere, but the zombie stuff was kinda stupid. Also, you were overrun by vietcong more often than zombies. Good luck I guess.

#38 Posted by notjw (12 posts) -

damn, thats pretty sick

#39 Posted by schames007 (9 posts) -

Looks pretty cool!

#40 Posted by LeonsHell (55 posts) -
@ChickenPants: Don't forget Shellshock 2, now that was a bad game.
#41 Posted by ShawnS (166 posts) -

I like the concept but so far the dismemberment/undying stuff reminds me a little too much of Soldier of Fortune or any other really old ragdoll game, especially after seeing the ridiculously complex cuts in MGS Rising and even Zelda.

#42 Posted by RobertOrri (1159 posts) -

The game's protagonist reminds me of Beetlejuice - in a bad way.

#43 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Never Played

#44 Posted by ErisRon (98 posts) -

Reassemble dismembered parts? Seems also influenced by Blood Will Tell aside from the other games you mentioned.

#45 Edited by MeatSim (10946 posts) -

Reassembling dismembered body parts? okay I am on board.

#46 Posted by AdMordem (467 posts) -

hmmmmmmmm

#47 Posted by Changgo (127 posts) -

Interested in hearing more

#48 Posted by aztecjester (27 posts) -

need more info on this title.
the reassembling of your own body parts sounds interesting though

#49 Edited by Brodehouse (10138 posts) -

If you told me an independent studio could make Shellshock, Rogue Warrior and AvP2010 consecutively, and not have to close, I'd call you a liar.

That first AvP was pretty awesome.  And since then... what the hell have they been doing?

#50 Posted by The_Weez (7 posts) -

Wait, it's from the studio that brought us such critically-acclaimed titles as "Rogue Warrior" and "Shellshock 2: Blood Trails"??

Ugh... I think I'll wait to see the reviews before I generate any interest in this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.