Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter Nights 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 31, 2006

The sequel to Bioware's Dungeons and Dragons PC role playing game of 2002, Neverwinter Nights 2 puts the player in the role of a peasant that must realize his importance in the world through an epic adventure.

Rolling through NWN2 (03): And you thought it was over so soon?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Edited By ArbitraryWater
    The most Dwarfiest Dwarf in all the land
    Yeah? Who would've thought I'd still be doing these? I'm sorry it's taken me almost a week to get anywhere, but a long weekend and a misguided attempt to finish Resident Evil 5 on Professional (I'm on chapter 6-1, so I'm in the home stretch) are enough for anyone to not play an RPG that hasn't especially drawn them in yet. I wrote a list about my worst impulse buys, if you're interested. But hey, here I am. Here to tell you about the continuing adventures of Fire Dude the Swashbuckler through the world of Faerun and the weird glitches he encounters therein. 

So, we left off with me being at some fort, where I was tasked with doing some sidequests. Doing these sidequests, which included "Kill some bandits" and "Kill some undead" has gotten my party up to a level where they can consistently kill things as long as they aren't ravaged by disease or fighting undead. Basically, I already have to give a tentative non-recommendation to making your main character a swashbucker, as undead happen to have damage reduction from the items that class is proficient in (light weapons. I'm rocking a +1 Rapier and a +1 Kukri in an attempt to crit dudes all the time. Which works poorly since Undead are immune to crits) and I am to understand that there are a lot of undead in the Original Campaign. Khelgar on the other hand, has proven his stereotypical Dwarf self (seriously. He and Oghren from Dragon Age should have a "Who is more of a stereotypical Dwarf" contest) to be well worth using in combat, mostly due to the fact that he has 18 strength and constitution as well as great cleave. 

So anyways, after doing all that fort nonsense, I set out for Highcliff and on the way I encountered Elanee, a druid who is good and caring. Obviously, I've started losing influence from her pretty fast with my violent and selfish ways (Unsurprisingly, Neeshka and Khelgar seem to be into one or the other of those things) and the only class I think is more dumb than Druids are Monks. If I encounter an actual honest to goodness Cleric, I will be dumping her and her nature loving self ASAP. It's not like healing is especially vital when you can rest practically anywhere. There was corruption in the grove, Elanee may be the only druid left (hooray!) and we finally got to Highcliff, where yet another obstacle got in our way. This time, the Lizardmen are sinking all the ships. Thus, after agreeing to do some sidequests in the same areas as where the main quest is, I went to a farm where a lady named Shandra is, only to watch said Lizardmen burn down her farm. Because she is voiced, I have a suspicion that I haven't seen the last of her.  That's around where I stopped for today, realizing that I will probably just be doing some more dude killing for a while.

So, so far I still don't know who the villain is other than a vague reference to "The King of Shadows" and the plot has yet to advance in any reasonable manner for the past 3 hours. Yep. Nonetheless, I can't say I hate this game. The dialog isn't totally amazing, but there's a nice party dynamic to my choices (basically, they all hate each other) that will no doubt go away once I get more party members and therefore more variables that they don't want to pay the writers for. The combat is alright, but not especially complex so far. Spellcasting AI unsurprisingly sucks, as Elanee dumps all her offensive spells on the first thing that moves. I guess I'll have to turn it off and play the game Infinity Engine style, even if the camera is still kind of ass. And with that, I think I'm done.  See you eventually?
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    Yeah? Who would've thought I'd still be doing these? I'm sorry it's taken me almost a week to get anywhere, but a long weekend and a misguided attempt to finish Resident Evil 5 on Professional (I'm on chapter 6-1, so I'm in the home stretch) are enough for anyone to not play an RPG that hasn't especially drawn them in yet. I wrote a list about my worst impulse buys, if you're interested. But hey, here I am. Here to tell you about the continuing adventures of Fire Dude the Swashbuckler through the world of Faerun and the weird glitches he encounters therein. 

So, we left off with me being at some fort, where I was tasked with doing some sidequests. Doing these sidequests, which included "Kill some bandits" and "Kill some undead" has gotten my party up to a level where they can consistently kill things as long as they aren't ravaged by disease or fighting undead. Basically, I already have to give a tentative non-recommendation to making your main character a swashbucker, as undead happen to have damage reduction from the items that class is proficient in (light weapons. I'm rocking a +1 Rapier and a +1 Kukri in an attempt to crit dudes all the time. Which works poorly since Undead are immune to crits) and I am to understand that there are a lot of undead in the Original Campaign. Khelgar on the other hand, has proven his stereotypical Dwarf self (seriously. He and Oghren from Dragon Age should have a "Who is more of a stereotypical Dwarf" contest) to be well worth using in combat, mostly due to the fact that he has 18 strength and constitution as well as great cleave. 

So anyways, after doing all that fort nonsense, I set out for Highcliff and on the way I encountered Elanee, a druid who is good and caring. Obviously, I've started losing influence from her pretty fast with my violent and selfish ways (Unsurprisingly, Neeshka and Khelgar seem to be into one or the other of those things) and the only class I think is more dumb than Druids are Monks. If I encounter an actual honest to goodness Cleric, I will be dumping her and her nature loving self ASAP. It's not like healing is especially vital when you can rest practically anywhere. There was corruption in the grove, Elanee may be the only druid left (hooray!) and we finally got to Highcliff, where yet another obstacle got in our way. This time, the Lizardmen are sinking all the ships. Thus, after agreeing to do some sidequests in the same areas as where the main quest is, I went to a farm where a lady named Shandra is, only to watch said Lizardmen burn down her farm. Because she is voiced, I have a suspicion that I haven't seen the last of her.  That's around where I stopped for today, realizing that I will probably just be doing some more dude killing for a while.

So, so far I still don't know who the villain is other than a vague reference to "The King of Shadows" and the plot has yet to advance in any reasonable manner for the past 3 hours. Yep. Nonetheless, I can't say I hate this game. The dialog isn't totally amazing, but there's a nice party dynamic to my choices (basically, they all hate each other) that will no doubt go away once I get more party members and therefore more variables that they don't want to pay the writers for. The combat is alright, but not especially complex so far. Spellcasting AI unsurprisingly sucks, as Elanee dumps all her offensive spells on the first thing that moves. I guess I'll have to turn it off and play the game Infinity Engine style, even if the camera is still kind of ass. And with that, I think I'm done.  See you eventually?
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The Blacklake quest line still awaits, almost 10 hours of senseless, unavoidable quest padding. Do you plan to play the expansions as well, or just the original campaign?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @owl_of_minerva:  Uh oh. I read your comment about it on my previous blog, but didn't reply because I didn't want any unnecessary bumpage. Considering everyone and their dog has been telling me that Mask of the Betrayer is way better than the original campaign, I guess I probably will.  Storm of Zehir however, I'm more ambivalent on. It's supposed to be an Icewind Dale type campaign, which I don't think would work well with this game's troublesome camera. The presence of subraces and prestige classes however, does at the very least give it a mechanical edge over Icewind Dale 2 which I don't think implements the 3rd edition ruleset extremely well (which is part of why I went to Temple of Elemental Evil in the first place, and now I'm here doing this ill-advised blog series instead of there hacking and slashing)

Of course, it immediately depends on if I finish this campaign first, and I probably have another 20-30 hours left, not to mention Dragon Age 2 comes out in 2 weeks which would be the thing to distract me if I were to be distracted and not finish the game. We'll see. Considering I almost aborted this blog series once, it wouldn't be hard for a temporary hiatus to turn into a permanent one. I can sure as hell tell you that I'm more interested in Dragon Age 2 than this game, considering everything its shown me so far.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I would like to see more screenshots in a blog like this. I don't know, I would feel more in touch with what you're saying.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By jorbear

You've still got a long way to go. You haven't even gotten to Neverwinter yet and the craziest inter-planar-species-relations-politics-thing hasn't happened yet. 
    Trust me, its going to be a while.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Claude:  If I figure out how to do that in game, I will probably include screenshots. If not, you can only be guaranteed something tangentially connected to something I said in the blog at some point. I'm not going to scrounge through the game's wiki page looking for pictures to match what I'm doing.

@jorbear: Yep. I know. Counting the restart, I think I've played around... 5-6 hours of the game? I'm not very far at all. Which is why I'm at (03) and not like... (20). It's not something I can sit down and marathon through the same way I could for IWD or TOEE. I'm hoping to at least get through act 1 before Dragon Age 2 comes out and ruins my chances of getting anywhere in this game during the month of March.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude
    @ArbitraryWater:  That shit don't work with a keyboard screen capture? If so, that's a bummer. I still appreciate you playing these games. History is important to me and knowing you guys are out there makes me very happy.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By yinstarrunner

Wait, what's your problem with monks?  Is it just the concept of the class that you don't like, or the mechanics?  Because I can tell you that I turned Khelgar into a monk at the first opportunity and immediately liked him about 10x better than before, enough to warrant carrying him around in my party for the rest of the game.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Raven10

I played the Dragon Age 2 demo for both 360 and PC (I didn't feel like waiting three days for slow ass PSN) and the 360 version was pretty much an exercise in mashing A over and over and occasionally healing or using a special attack. Not too compelling. The PC version basically involved clicking on an enemy, watching Hawke kill it, clicking on the next enemy and repeating, again occasionally pausing to use a skill or potion. Also, the Directx10-11 stuff wasn't very well optimized at all. Most of it you couldn't even turn on, and the one big thing you could turn on (a feature that improves self-shadowing) halved my framerate. Not too impressed.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Tordah
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @yinstarrunner:  It's partially a conceptual thing, being that I find the general concept behind monks to be kind of dumb in a fantasy setting (or really, any setting. I haven't seen enough Kung-Fu movies I guess). I also don't like the mechanics of the class: D8 hit dice, can't wear armor, needs 4 out of the 6 stats to be useful, doesn't use weapons, etc etc. My monk in Temple of Elemental Evil pulled his weight, but I don't think he offered anything that another martial class couldn't do better. 

@Raven10: Yeah sure. But If you assume a demo meant for joe shmoe on Xbox Live is indicative of how strategic the final game will be, than I can't help you.

@Tordah: Hmmmm.... I might have to try that out. Thanks!
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By endaround

The three NPCs  you have right now all have associated quests.  From what I can tell only one more NPC has any  (save for some one-off you must use this character parts).  I just started into CH 2 after 38 hours. 

EDIT:And no clerics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.