Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter Nights 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 31, 2006

The sequel to Bioware's Dungeons and Dragons PC role playing game of 2002, Neverwinter Nights 2 puts the player in the role of a peasant that must realize his importance in the world through an epic adventure.

RPG Ramblings, or How I Became a Whore

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

Edited By dvaeg

The last few days have been a real struggle for me to stay on course with my gaming.   A few months back I swore I would put an end to my adulterous method of playing games -- I dabble in several at once, fearful of commitment and always believing the grass is greener somewhere else.   I put a few RPGs behind me by focusing with laser-like precision on a single game, muscling my way to the end, irrespective of what else beckoned for me with bedroom eyes.   My blogging started in direct response to my wayward habits, with the hope of it inspiring me towards faithfulness.   It worked for Trine.   It worked for KOTOR2.   It worked for Mass Effect 2.   It is failing me in Neverwinter Nights 2

My first committed relationship.   It didn't last very long though

It's not you, it's me

I can say that with a straight face because it is the truth.   Neverwinter Nights 2 has served me well thus far, despite my bitching from time to time about small issues.   I added a fourth NPC to my party recently, some sort of Sorceress School dropout that claims to be magical savant.   The key part of this event is that I now have more party members than I have space in my party, meaning I will soon need to actually worry about party composition a bit.    The thought of sifting through my options was a bit daunting at the time, so I saved and quit and went back to my mistress to fool around a bit.   Oh Minecraft, how new and shapely you seem.  

Sure she's chunky, and she's best when shared with friends, but I love her.

So there you have it, I'm cheating -- getting a little on the side if you will.   I can't help it.   She gives me choices, let's me do whatever I want to with her.    I can make her into anything I want her to be.   An art program?  Survival horror?  Single quest RPG?   MMO?    She's what I dream about at night, and I return to her time and time again.    My world is a snowy one, and I'm building my castle on an island, perfectly centered in a peninsula facing the ocean.    At night I stand guard at the parapets surrounded by torches, a beacon of light for any other souls in my world (there are none, btw).    In the daylight I punch jumping cows. 

I lied.   I cheated on my mistress too. 

With this comely lady: 
    Sylvanas Windrunner
    Sylvanas Windrunner

I guess it wasn't technically with her, but you get the point.   My Tankadin alt is slowly but surely making his way to 80, having just hit 67 in the Blade's Edge Mountains.   I had completely skipped this zone on my main along with Shadowmoon Valley my first time through Outland.   Chances are I'll head straight to Northrend when I hit 68 though in order to keep my leveling moving along.   My main is ranged DPS, so leveling as a tank is slow, plodding and wildly different by comparison, and being able to fly at 60 completely changes the Outland leveling experience.    Flying is nice, but it's incredibly detached when you compare it to the immersion of foot travel in new environments.    It I wasn't in a hurry to get this alt done this year I'd probably skip flying until Cold Weather became available in about 10 levels.

...In which we see the wisdom of Tim Schafer

One more thing about Neverwinter Nights 2:   I started my questing in the actual city of Neverwinter recently.   The first quest set is something of a moral choice, do you join the city watch in order to make it to the next area or do you join with the local thugs who might be able to sneak you in?   Being a rogue, I thought I might have an easier time making my way though the unsavory path of running jobs for thugs, but the situation quickly got out of hand.   Since my character isn't all that smart or strong or charming, I quickly found myself murdering locals and town watchmen for almost no apparent reason.     The dialog options offered plenty of bluff, charm or intimidate your way through the confrontation, but my character seems incapable of doing anything but stab his way though a solution.  Once I chose to talk to the first thug, I was trapped in that entire quest set, and I ended up murdering close to 20 innocent people before I was sent off on a mission to burn down town watch HQ.

This was incredibly frustrating for me, as I had concocted an entire moral structure around why I did good things sometimes and bad things other times.    In this situation, my morals were useless and I was slave to dialog scripting.    As I stabbed the final good guy in the face and watched him dissolve into a money bag I could loot, the wise words of Tim Shafer rang in my ears:

Games help me understand serial killers better: I want to interact with people I meet, but I don't have the tools, so I shoot them.

While I wanted to deftly handle the verbal wordplay before me, gaining gold and items with minimal loss of life, I ended up stabbing everyone in sight.   Oh well.
    dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By dvaeg

The last few days have been a real struggle for me to stay on course with my gaming.   A few months back I swore I would put an end to my adulterous method of playing games -- I dabble in several at once, fearful of commitment and always believing the grass is greener somewhere else.   I put a few RPGs behind me by focusing with laser-like precision on a single game, muscling my way to the end, irrespective of what else beckoned for me with bedroom eyes.   My blogging started in direct response to my wayward habits, with the hope of it inspiring me towards faithfulness.   It worked for Trine.   It worked for KOTOR2.   It worked for Mass Effect 2.   It is failing me in Neverwinter Nights 2

It's not you, it's me

I can say that with a straight face because it is the truth.   Neverwinter Nights 2 has served me well thus far, despite my bitching from time to time about small issues.   I added a fourth NPC to my party recently, some sort of Sorceress School dropout that claims to be magical savant.   The key part of this event is that I now have more party members than I have space in my party, meaning I will soon need to actually worry about party composition a bit.    The thought of sifting through my options was a bit daunting at the time, so I saved and quit and went back to my mistress to fool around a bit.   Oh Minecraft, how new and shapely you seem.  

So there you have it, I'm cheating -- getting a little on the side if you will.   I can't help it.   She gives me choices, let's me do whatever I want to with her.    I can make her into anything I want her to be.   An art program?  Survival horror?  Single quest RPG?   MMO?    She's what I dream about at night, and I return to her time and time again.    My world is a snowy one, and I'm building my castle on an island, perfectly centered in a peninsula facing the ocean.    At night I stand guard at the parapets surrounded by torches, a beacon of light for any other souls in my world (there are none, btw).    In the daylight I punch jumping cows. 

I lied.   I cheated on my mistress too. 

With this comely lady: 
    Sylvanas Windrunner
    Sylvanas Windrunner

I guess it wasn't technically with her, but you get the point.   My Tankadin alt is slowly but surely making his way to 80, having just hit 67 in the Blade's Edge Mountains.   I had completely skipped this zone on my main along with Shadowmoon Valley my first time through Outland.   Chances are I'll head straight to Northrend when I hit 68 though in order to keep my leveling moving along.   My main is ranged DPS, so leveling as a tank is slow, plodding and wildly different by comparison, and being able to fly at 60 completely changes the Outland leveling experience.    Flying is nice, but it's incredibly detached when you compare it to the immersion of foot travel in new environments.    It I wasn't in a hurry to get this alt done this year I'd probably skip flying until Cold Weather became available in about 10 levels.

...In which we see the wisdom of Tim Schafer

One more thing about Neverwinter Nights 2:   I started my questing in the actual city of Neverwinter recently.   The first quest set is something of a moral choice, do you join the city watch in order to make it to the next area or do you join with the local thugs who might be able to sneak you in?   Being a rogue, I thought I might have an easier time making my way though the unsavory path of running jobs for thugs, but the situation quickly got out of hand.   Since my character isn't all that smart or strong or charming, I quickly found myself murdering locals and town watchmen for almost no apparent reason.     The dialog options offered plenty of bluff, charm or intimidate your way through the confrontation, but my character seems incapable of doing anything but stab his way though a solution.  Once I chose to talk to the first thug, I was trapped in that entire quest set, and I ended up murdering close to 20 innocent people before I was sent off on a mission to burn down town watch HQ.

This was incredibly frustrating for me, as I had concocted an entire moral structure around why I did good things sometimes and bad things other times.    In this situation, my morals were useless and I was slave to dialog scripting.    As I stabbed the final good guy in the face and watched him dissolve into a money bag I could loot, the wise words of Tim Shafer rang in my ears:

Games help me understand serial killers better: I want to interact with people I meet, but I don't have the tools, so I shoot them.

While I wanted to deftly handle the verbal wordplay before me, gaining gold and items with minimal loss of life, I ended up stabbing everyone in sight.   Oh well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.