Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 20, 2013

A free-to-play MMORPG inspired by R.A. Salvatore's Neverwinter Saga book trilogy.

Does this game actually have Dungeons and Dragons ruleset?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Like the infinity engine games? Alignment, XP, Armor Class, THAC0, Multi/Dual Class, All those spells? I don't know how much has actually changed in D&D since those games came out.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By butano

Kind of? It's based off of 4th Edition, which was more combat heavy than the other editions, but the game itself is more Diablo-like than its predecessors.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Like the infinity engine games? Alignment, XP, Armor Class, THAC0, Multi/Dual Class, All those spells? I don't know how much has actually changed in D&D since those games came out.

There's been 2 whole revisions since the stuff like Baldurs Gate, which was based on AD&D2 rules. (Neverwinter Nights was based on D&D3e for the record) So yeah, to my knowledge this is based on the 4e rules. And probably the last gasp of 4th edition as D&D Next (what they are calling 5th edition) is currently being playtested.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By forkboy

There's been 2 whole revisions since the stuff like Baldurs Gate, which was based on AD&D2 rules. (Neverwinter Nights was based on D&D3e for the record) So yeah, to my knowledge this is based on the 4e rules. And probably the last gasp of 4th edition as D&D Next (what they are calling 5th edition) is currently being playtested.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

It's "based" on 4e...but very loosely.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Very loosely based on 4e, so there are feats and skills, no Vancian magic. Encounter skills means they have cooldown, Dailies need a full meter to be used. The existing classes are based on classes in the first Player's Handbook. No Alignment, no THAC0, no multiclassing either.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MezZa

Its based on a version of DnD. It is not like infinity engine games though. 4e moved more in a combat heavy direction and its systems are much more fit for an mmo style of play than the previous editions would be. If you like combat and things being more simplified then you might like it. I played the game a bit just to see what it was like and it reminded me more of diablo than any previous Dungeons and Dragons games like Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.