Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neverwinter

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 20, 2013

A free-to-play MMORPG inspired by R.A. Salvatore's Neverwinter Saga book trilogy.

Neverwinter Launched - Watcha Think?

• 60 results
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Silver-Streak
    @jakob187 said:

@eujin: That's what pisses me off about the game from what I played in the closed beta. I picked a Devoted Cleric, and I was AUTO ATTACKING for 23-30 damage on a regular basis. IT'S A CLERIC! At level 1, about the only chance that a Cleric has of hitting for that much on an auto attack is by using a 1-handed warhammer with a shield, then hitting a nat 20 roll for crit threat, breaking AC after, and then hitting a full 8 on their damage roll for the x3 crit + strength modifier (which is probably about a +1 or +2)...and even then, they would probably need to take Power Attack (which would be a little dumb for a Cleric) and trade off at least 3 attack bonus in order to get up to a possible...29?

So DDO is based off 3.5 edition (Eberron specifically) which is fine. I enjoyed DDO as well for quite some time, even if having a Warforged Monk is silly without a 32 point build.

For clarification for all: you mentioned auto-attacking, which has never existed in NW, except perhaps alpha. You could maybe hold down the at-will 1 button, but you still have to manually target.

You're also going off D&D 3rd edition math. In addition, the Devoted Cleric preferred build in 4E/class in NW uses a Holy Symbol as a regular implement instead of a mace. In 4th Edition, Holy Symbols counted as magic items, and added 1d6 to your attack rolls at level 1, then 2d6 at level 3, 3d6 at level 6, etc. And that's only if you have a standard Holy Symbol, rather than a +1/+2/special holy symbol.

I don't have a cleric in any of my 3 character slots, but for some comparison math: My Control Wizard is level 6, and has Magic Missile as an at will power. Without his Magic Orb equipped, it does 5-15 damage. In the D&D 4e PHB, at level 1 Magic missile does 2d4+Intelligence Modifier, which for me right now is +4, so a non-crit max damage would be 12, so it's not that far off.

The biggest difference is due to the fact that we're picking up magical implements and weapons from near the start. It's explained somewhat lore wise from the fact that Neverwinter was one of the largest cities on this part of the continent, had a huge foundation of magical craftsman and vaults from before their recent massive destruction of the city happened. So trinkets are everywhere.

Because of this, my +1 magic orb takes that 5-15 damage and makes it 24-40, and in the PHB, it would have made my Magic Missile go from 2d4+Int mod to 2d4+Int mod+2d6, which at max damage would be 24. A bigger disparity, sure, but still not that huge of a difference.

This might clear up some of your concerns about the numbers. While they are slightly inflated, they're not really that much inflated over base 4th Edition. 4th edition was designed for the players to be paragons of these archetypes rather than struggling(or doomed, if you're dealing with 2nd edition) adventurers. One of the main things WOTC wanted was for players to feel decently capable at level 1 rather than having to wait for level 10.

Again, I'm not writing this wall of text in attempt to dissuade you from your feelings on it, it's perfectly fine. I just wanted to bring some clarity to how it compares to its source material, which is the current edition of D&D. With that in mind, it's decently close.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While I haven't played too much of the game, the thing that has made the most of an impression on me is how bad the environment is designed. I can't think of a single specific area I could name or that had any form of unique design, it's just all a big bunch of mush. Also, I don't know why modern MMOs do this, but throwing you into a major city right off the gate is just terrible. It's the most chaotic place to be with just way too many distractions, which is the last thing I need when I'm just starting a game and trying to figure out how things work. I get that it's great for people with experience to have access to everything right away, but as a new player it makes it way harder to actually get into the game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Got drawn back in again for a session. It's really odd how little touches like rag doll effects make the combat so very satisfying, at least in short bursts. Enjoyable, but magnitudes too shallow in the longrun.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#55  Edited By Seppli

@tarsier said:

dont forget your hero of the north founders pack !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixDvaAW3FI8

I sometimes wonder who's willing to drop 250$ on a F2P game. Then again, it seems like that's where the new breed of F2P games is going towards. Selling access to Beta to the core audience. Guess DOTA 2 must have sold well over a million copies, and it's something that's supposed to be free2play eventually.

I'd love to see the numbers on those founder pack sales. Only seen one dude displaying the Founder's title so far.

Crazy enthusiasts man. I guess if it's a game I care about, I too would be crazy enough to pay mucho moolah to play the unfinished product. Let's say I could pay 200$ to play BF4 now, all the way to release - I don't know if I could withstand. Guess the industry has wizend up to that fact, at least the part that caters to the free2play market.

Scary.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Does anyone else think the game looks really rough? I mean graphics-wise I haven't played enough to form an opinion on the content yet. Maybe it's because its still in beta but the characters just don't look that good to me.

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eujin said:
    @jakob187 said:

@eujin: That's what pisses me off about the game from what I played in the closed beta. I picked a Devoted Cleric, and I was AUTO ATTACKING for 23-30 damage on a regular basis. IT'S A CLERIC! At level 1, about the only chance that a Cleric has of hitting for that much on an auto attack is by using a 1-handed warhammer with a shield, then hitting a nat 20 roll for crit threat, breaking AC after, and then hitting a full 8 on their damage roll for the x3 crit + strength modifier (which is probably about a +1 or +2)...and even then, they would probably need to take Power Attack (which would be a little dumb for a Cleric) and trade off at least 3 attack bonus in order to get up to a possible...29?

So DDO is based off 3.5 edition (Eberron specifically) which is fine. I enjoyed DDO as well for quite some time, even if having a Warforged Monk is silly without a 32 point build.

For clarification for all: you mentioned auto-attacking, which has never existed in NW, except perhaps alpha. You could maybe hold down the at-will 1 button, but you still have to manually target.

You're also going off D&D 3rd edition math. In addition, the Devoted Cleric preferred build in 4E/class in NW uses a Holy Symbol as a regular implement instead of a mace. In 4th Edition, Holy Symbols counted as magic items, and added 1d6 to your attack rolls at level 1, then 2d6 at level 3, 3d6 at level 6, etc. And that's only if you have a standard Holy Symbol, rather than a +1/+2/special holy symbol.

I don't have a cleric in any of my 3 character slots, but for some comparison math: My Control Wizard is level 6, and has Magic Missile as an at will power. Without his Magic Orb equipped, it does 5-15 damage. In the D&D 4e PHB, at level 1 Magic missile does 2d4+Intelligence Modifier, which for me right now is +4, so a non-crit max damage would be 12, so it's not that far off.

The biggest difference is due to the fact that we're picking up magical implements and weapons from near the start. It's explained somewhat lore wise from the fact that Neverwinter was one of the largest cities on this part of the continent, had a huge foundation of magical craftsman and vaults from before their recent massive destruction of the city happened. So trinkets are everywhere.

Because of this, my +1 magic orb takes that 5-15 damage and makes it 24-40, and in the PHB, it would have made my Magic Missile go from 2d4+Int mod to 2d4+Int mod+2d6, which at max damage would be 24. A bigger disparity, sure, but still not that huge of a difference.

This might clear up some of your concerns about the numbers. While they are slightly inflated, they're not really that much inflated over base 4th Edition. 4th edition was designed for the players to be paragons of these archetypes rather than struggling(or doomed, if you're dealing with 2nd edition) adventurers. One of the main things WOTC wanted was for players to feel decently capable at level 1 rather than having to wait for level 10.

Again, I'm not writing this wall of text in attempt to dissuade you from your feelings on it, it's perfectly fine. I just wanted to bring some clarity to how it compares to its source material, which is the current edition of D&D. With that in mind, it's decently close.

This is true, but the numbers matching up to 4th edition in any way is likely just coincidence. The game is built around leveling to 60 with pretty big increases in damage and hp for monsters and players every few levels. By 20 your going to be dealing 2k+ damage in a few seconds and will easily have that many HP. The only thing this game keeps from 4th edition is the names of powers and abilities, many of which have nothing to do with their tabletop counterparts.

So far I'm having a blast in the game, but it seems like it's going to get stale fast. Their astral diamond economy seems crazy hard to keep up with without getting super lucky in the auction house or spending a bunch of money in the store ($30+ for a +3 mount that requires around 3mil diamonds to get all of the training for!). Frankly gold seems totally worthless after level 20 and earning diamonds in the quantities needed for anything past low level consumables is fucking nuts.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@triple07: Yeah, even for an MMO it's pretty damn ugly.

It's definitely enjoyable enough in short bursts, but there really doesn't seem to be enough to the gameplay to keep me hooked, it's all just running through corridors and killing things. I'm pretty disappointed with the customisation levels too. One of the things I really loved about Star Trek Online was the sheer level of customisation, you got to make your character, your crew, design the uniforms, the ship and even space stations if you get into the guild stuff.. Here you just select a pre-set companion and can pay for different skins to put over them. I was really hoping for a bit more.

hawkinsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Neverwinter through level 10 as a guardian fighter, but I don't think it is good enough. Probably not enough time to give a very accurate judgment of the game, but I'm fairly confident it wouldn't hold my interest over other game choice, e.g., WoW. I wonder how many of the people I see on their spider mounts are regretting that $200 investment now. If they aren't trying to convince themselves that it was still worth it, I would bet most are not happy with the decision.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Darji

Strangely I really like this mmo. What I really like is that there is a lot to explore in these dungeons/instances . Often you find altars or even secret passages hat needed to be open through some small puzzle., Also I really like the que feature for skirmish and Dungeon runs. It makes it so much less stressful o search for a party who always tries to go in to a dungeon with the perfect setup.

Note I am only level 22 but so far I am enjoying this game^^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.