Neverwinter Pricing Model Still Up In The Air

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The word on the streets is that Cryptic Studios is planning to build Neverwinter as a micro-transaction-funded title. That hasn't been confirmed, and it looks as if Cryptic won't be revealing the game's model for awhile, as it's still evaluating its options.

In a chat with Gamasutra (via Big Download), COO Jack Emmert implied that the studio is still thinking about the pricing model and said that every sort of model--pay-by-the-hour, monthly or weekly subscriptions, and free-to-play, etc.--are still fair game for the MMO developer's non-MMO title. 

"I can guarantee you that we envision this as an online product that will continue to grow over time, that we continue to add content to. So whether it's subscription fee, whether it's free-to-play, whether it's micro-transactions, whether it's pay-by-the-minute [laughs], whether it's some sort of Ponzi scheme that I haven't figured out, I don't know. None of that has been announced," he said.

Neverwinter was announced last week as an online, co-op focused RPG. Details are light, but Cryptic has divulged that the game will revolve around you and four other adventurers in a story inspired by an upcoming Dungeons and Dragons-based trilogy by fantasy author R.A. Salvatore.     
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The word on the streets is that Cryptic Studios is planning to build Neverwinter as a micro-transaction-funded title. That hasn't been confirmed, and it looks as if Cryptic won't be revealing the game's model for awhile, as it's still evaluating its options.

In a chat with Gamasutra (via Big Download), COO Jack Emmert implied that the studio is still thinking about the pricing model and said that every sort of model--pay-by-the-hour, monthly or weekly subscriptions, and free-to-play, etc.--are still fair game for the MMO developer's non-MMO title. 

"I can guarantee you that we envision this as an online product that will continue to grow over time, that we continue to add content to. So whether it's subscription fee, whether it's free-to-play, whether it's micro-transactions, whether it's pay-by-the-minute [laughs], whether it's some sort of Ponzi scheme that I haven't figured out, I don't know. None of that has been announced," he said.

Neverwinter was announced last week as an online, co-op focused RPG. Details are light, but Cryptic has divulged that the game will revolve around you and four other adventurers in a story inspired by an upcoming Dungeons and Dragons-based trilogy by fantasy author R.A. Salvatore.     
#2 Edited by Xolare (1274 posts) -

Did I do it? 

Of Course I did.

#3 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@Xolare: Fail.
#4 Posted by Xolare (1274 posts) -
@RiotBananas said:
" @Xolare: Fail. "
What fail does my post contain? It's about the same as every other "First" post ever.
#5 Posted by Maxynator (159 posts) -
@Xolare: 
Defending is useless, attacking is more rewarding 
that didn't make any sense
#6 Posted by Chris2KLee (2330 posts) -

Yesh, here I thought Cryptic was going to make a game without a fee, just straight box purchase. Still, seeing as I have no idea what the actual game is gonna be, I guess I'll wait and see. If this is gonna be a more straight take on DnD with focus on small party co-op, then I could see them offering a micro-transaction model that involves buying new quest "modules" like in the old days of DnD. Knowing exactly how this game is gonna play is the first thing I wanna know thought.

#7 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3962 posts) -

At first I thought I read a COO response from Jerk Emmact.

I'm truly disgusted with all the money-grubbing going on in the games industry lately.  Pay to play! DLC!  Extra XBL Live fees!  Newer (HIGHER) Used Game Prices!  Just Because!  

It had better last 50 hours or longer or forget it.  

#8 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

The game page says it not out till Q4 of next year, and it was only announced a few days back, the fact we know nothing of the pricing structure is hardly anything to write about.

Also on the game itself I'm less interested because the products Cryptic put out seem to be some what sub par and instead of fixing them it seems they just churn more out, though I don't know how many staff they have, so maybe they're not stretching themselves as thin as all this seems.

#9 Posted by Valru (91 posts) -

Cryptic game = shovelware.

#10 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

they will fuck NWN up :(

#11 Posted by dyong (331 posts) -

Here's a pricing model that's guaranteed to succeed: The one that people are willing to pay for your game.

#12 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

Because making it up as you go along always leads to success.

#13 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

What the fuck?! I gave Cryptic my trust with this game but all I can say to them now is get the fuck away from my game!!!

#14 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I don't buy loot with people money. No.

#15 Posted by infestedandy (266 posts) -

A MMO type subscription for a regular game? Strange but hey, it's Cryptic. All they've done is MMOs so I guess it's not that surprising.

Hopefully they don't go that route...

#16 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" I don't buy loot with people money. No. "
Seriously. This. 

Huge fan of Neverwinter Nights, and I'm anxious to see more of this game. But I'm not doing micro-transactions. Save that shit for the 12 year olds.
#17 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I fail to see why people critisize micro-transactions so heavily, yet are fine with subscription fee's.  Are you aware that "server maintenance" is almost totally a myth, and almost the entirity of the subsciption costs simply go towards the developers profit.

When developers continue to release new content on a very regular basis, I can let it slide..  But I'd still rather pay for the new content as it comes and just be able to play the standard version of the game when I want with no extra costs tacked on.

That being said, the first two Neverwinter games offered multiplayer exactly like they're describing here.  As did Diablo and countless other games.  They can not possibly even contemplate putting an on going charge on this.

#18 Posted by murse2008 (240 posts) -

So what does this news story actually say? That they haven't decided about something yet? I'm sure they haven't decided on all the game play systems, levels, classes, and other content but there is no point in reporting that they haven't decided what those are.

#19 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -
@BradNicholson said:
"...So whether it's subscription fee, whether it's free-to-play, whether it's micro-transactions, whether it's pay-by-the-minute [laughs], whether it's some sort of Ponzi scheme that I haven't figured out, I don't know."
Hmmm... I wonder which one it won't be?

(Hint: I may or may not have bolded it in the quote)
#20 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -

I'm a long time Neverwinter nights and D&D tabletop fan, but after being burnt by Cryptic with Champions (a game I followed for a long time) and how they dealt with their community, I'ma have to take a pass. 

The reason he can't decide which description model to talk about is because they're probably going to go with all of them...

#21 Edited by fisk0 (3862 posts) -
@infestedandy said:

" A MMO type subscription for a regular game? Strange but hey, it's Cryptic. All they've done is MMOs so I guess it's not that surprising.  Hopefully they don't go that route... "

Maybe they do it like the japanese. "We do RPG's. So this tetris style game is obviously also a RPG", so even an offline singleplayer game from Cryptic would require subscription fees, since they do MMOs.

But hey, they could be taking Neverwinter back to it's pay-by-the-minute-and-use-up-your-phone-line roots. It was one of the first MMOs back when AT&T launched it in 1993 or when it was.

And hey, wouldn't forcing the user to constantly be on the phone with an employee of Cryptic or licensed intermediator while playing the game be a fantastic DRM to shove up the loyal customer's license.

#22 Edited by SpaceButler256 (3 posts) -

Problem with Cryptic microtransations is that they are not micro.  For Star Trek Online, which they said would only have relatively cosmetic stuff in their "C-Store" they've started introducing new ships, ships the users asked for, nifty stuff like the Galaxy class from the future in the TNG finale.  The problem is the Cryptic Points you'd need to buy one of these run to somewhere around $20-25!!!   *edit* That galaxy is 2000 Cryptic points, which sells for $25  The other ships they've added so far are 1200.

NOT MICRO

#23 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

cryptic hasn't really wowed me with their games as of late and the matrix which was published by atari and an SOE network MMO(could me wrong about that)? The last two Neverwinter games were system hogs and didn't really stand out to me as OMGosh, AWESOME looking game! This doesn't excite me all that much considering there is already a free to play DnD title out there. 

#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11208 posts) -

Oh cool. I missed this game announcement. I hope it does the genre the justice it's been lacking.

#25 Posted by Dedodido (235 posts) -

So... a developer renowned for making bad games is probably going to expect people to pay a subscription or pay for micro-transactions for a non-MMO game...

When did game development move into loonytown?

#26 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

Combining the fact that Cryptic make soulless and empty games along with the fact I play solo RPGs, not online RPGs, means I am less than enthused for this.

#27 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" I fail to see why people critisize micro-transactions so heavily, yet are fine with subscription fee's.  Are you aware that "server maintenance" is almost totally a myth, and almost the entirity of the subsciption costs simply go towards the developers profit.  When developers continue to release new content on a very regular basis, I can let it slide..  But I'd still rather pay for the new content as it comes and just be able to play the standard version of the game when I want with no extra costs tacked on.  That being said, the first two Neverwinter games offered multiplayer exactly like they're describing here.  As did Diablo and countless other games.  They can not possibly even contemplate putting an on going charge on this. "
Haven't you noticed? Micro-transactions have, more often than not, failed to really satisfy people in the long run. At least, when they're done they way Cryptic Studios has done it.
#28 Posted by crusader8463 (14414 posts) -

This is sad news indeed. I despise how Cryptic feels the need to nickle and dime every god dam game they make.

#29 Posted by Tennmuerti (8010 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:
"

What the fuck?! I gave Cryptic my trust with this game but all I can say to them now is get the fuck away from my game!!!

"
Why would you ever give Cryptic your trust?
They are in business of making shovelware MMO's by exploiting recognisable lisences.
#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@Nettacki said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" I fail to see why people critisize micro-transactions so heavily, yet are fine with subscription fee's.  Are you aware that "server maintenance" is almost totally a myth, and almost the entirity of the subsciption costs simply go towards the developers profit.  When developers continue to release new content on a very regular basis, I can let it slide..  But I'd still rather pay for the new content as it comes and just be able to play the standard version of the game when I want with no extra costs tacked on.  That being said, the first two Neverwinter games offered multiplayer exactly like they're describing here.  As did Diablo and countless other games.  They can not possibly even contemplate putting an on going charge on this. "
Haven't you noticed? Micro-transactions have, more often than not, failed to really satisfy people in the long run. At least, when they're done they way Cryptic Studios has done it. "
Oh, I agree that the way they're normally handled is terrible, especially as it's usually ON TOP of a subscription.
But when done right, there's less to complain about than other methods, in my opinion.
#31 Posted by imayellowfellow (558 posts) -

this was the shittiest press release ever, I cant believe the PR department let this guy say this, not that he intends to use necessarily any of these models but its still something you shouldnt say in a press release, makes the consumers lose faith in ur product and just see it as some desperate grab at the dollars in our wallets

#32 Edited by salarus (3 posts) -

I thought we tried the Hellgate model once before... 

#33 Posted by PenguinDust (12454 posts) -

I don't care about anything Cryptic is doing.  I've been disappointed by too many of their games in the past. 

#34 Posted by Spiral_Stars (456 posts) -

Cryptic is just fucking adorable.

#35 Posted by BrilliantCircle (2 posts) -

I hate when devs add micro-transaction.  Usually all the good stuff are the things you can only buy.

#36 Posted by Nettacki (1317 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Nettacki said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
Haven't you noticed? Micro-transactions have, more often than not, failed to really satisfy people in the long run. At least, when they're done they way Cryptic Studios has done it. "
Oh, I agree that the way they're normally handled is terrible, especially as it's usually ON TOP of a subscription. But when done right, there's less to complain about than other methods, in my opinion. "
True. That is, when done right. Here, it's most likely to go wrong considering the developer's previous track record.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.