Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

Nintendo's "New 3DS" adds some additional control functionality and horsepower, allowing for some games that can only run on the new hardware, not on Nintendo's original 3DS.

No AC Adapter included with the US New 3DS, either

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

About a week ago, someone from Australia wrote into the Bombcast saying that the New 3DS won't come with an AC Adapter in their territory. With the New 3DS officially announced for release in the US next month, a report from IGN says that the New 3DS won't come with an AC Adapter in the box. This was apparently a cost-cutting measure so they would not have to charge a higher cost to people who might already have a compatible charger; the New 3DS is compatible with the AC Adapters that came with the DSi, 3DS, and 2DS lines (including the XL models).

What do you all think? Is this a sleazy, greedy maneuver that boils your blood, or do you already own a compatible power cable and not really care?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I got about two chargers as it is but I really can't see how much money is saved by excluding AC Adapter. So it does seem like a bit of a fuck you especially if they mark it up to $10 to $15.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It seems like a shitty move as whenever I get a 3DS I'll have to get a charger with it, and if I didn't know better I'd probably not get it. Sadly the last Nintendo charger I have is a DS Lite one, the last one made before the first compatible one (the DSi one).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think it's pretty ridiculous. I had been thinking about getting one, but now I don't think I will, just on principle alone!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the benefit of the thing in the first place? Meaning the "new" 3ds? I don't see the ac adapter thing as an issue. If you have been buying nintendo hand helds for the last few years I can't imagine you not already having a compatible adapter. Hell I probably have 3 of them.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@karkarov said:

What is the benefit of the thing in the first place? Meaning the "new" 3ds? I don't see the ac adapter thing as an issue. If you have been buying nintendo hand helds for the last few years I can't imagine you not already having a compatible adapter. Hell I probably have 3 of them.

Lots of people trade up (at Gamestop or other retailers) when new versions of the handhelds come out, meaning that they no longer have the charger that came with it.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think this is really stupid. As someone who doesn't already have an adapter, as I don't own any DS model. And as someone who was planning on buying this model. I no longer will be. And I wont be buying an older model either. As those wont play the newer games to come out most likely. Like Xeno and others that are specific to that hardware.

I guess I'll be waiting to buy one for another couple years when this thing drops to the $150 range. And I can pick up a used adapter for $5.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I don't really think it matters if a lot of people "already" have them or not. An essential part of the system should be included in the box.

The_def_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's bullshit. I mean just because they have done it overseas and gotten away with it doesn't mean it's ok. What's next? They plan to get away with selling Wii U's with no power supply either? I was looking into getting a new 3DS but because of this practice I'm not going to buy. Simply because it's a shitty thing to do. If it's about them saving money fuck that. I would have paid the difference but would want it to come in the box. It's not about money for me it's the principle of the thing and don't want this practice to become common. I mean it would suck for a parent who buys their kid their first 3DS and didn't forgot to get them a power supply. WTF Nintendo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.