Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

Nintendo's "New 3DS" adds some additional control functionality and horsepower, allowing for some games that can only run on the new hardware, not on Nintendo's original 3DS.

Question about bundles with digital games

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For those that have bought a 3DS bundled with a digital game before - how does that work? If I swap out the SD card, will I be able to re-download the game? I normally wouldn't have to ask, but with Nintendo you never know.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

My question is simillar: if I buy the Majora's Mask bundle, and I port over all the stuff from my current 3DS to that new one with their System Transfer tool (or whatever it's called), will I keep Majora's Mask or will it be gone?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi
    @snail said:

My question is simillar: if I buy the Majora's Mask bundle, and I port over all the stuff from my current 3DS to that new one with their System Transfer tool (or whatever it's called), will I keep Majora's Mask or will it be gone?

The Majora's Mask 3DS doesn't come with Majora's Mask.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@corevi said:
    @snail said:

Uhh... odd. The Ocarina of Time 3DS came with Ocarina of Time didn't it? Anyway, my question still stands - suppose I buy a bundle that actually comes with a game, what happens in the situation I described?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@snail said:

Uhh... odd. The Ocarina of Time 3DS came with Ocarina of Time didn't it? Anyway, my question still stands - suppose I buy a bundle that actually comes with a game, what happens in the situation I described?

No clue, just felt I should inform you of that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sometimes the game comes preinstalled, other times I think they give you a code? If it's preinstalled, it means the license is already tied to that 3DS' serial number, so I think it would basically be a separate account from your old 3DS. You'd probably have to contact Nintendo support about somehow combining the preinstalled game license with your existing purchases.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

See, this junk right here is why I don't like Nintendo's 3DS bundles. Put the friggin' cartridge in there, stop being so stingy!

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@snail said:

@corevi said:
    @snail said:

Just wanted to point out that this isn't anything new. The Smash Bros. 3DS XLs didn't have Smash Bros. It seems they do this for their bigger releases, not including the game with the 3DS. If you notice, it's the same price as the regular N3DS.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yukoasho: Yeah, I'd much prefer it that bundles just give you a physical copy, because A) no messiness with combining it with your existing account, and B) you can lend it to people or whatever.

But now that just about every major game is available digitally on all the consoles and handhelds, I expect most bundles will give you the game digitally whenever possible.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yukoasho said:

See, this junk right here is why I don't like Nintendo's 3DS bundles. Put the friggin' cartridge in there, stop being so stingy!

I don't mind getting bundles with digital games, my issue is with Nintendo's crazy policy of linking purchases to hardware instead of account. I'm hesitating on buying a New 3DS bundle because it's unclear what will happen if I upgrade the memory card and transfer my stuff from my current 3DS.

CrimsonHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to clarify, only the US version does not have MM pre-installed. The UK version does have the game pre-installed.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The US version of the Monster Hunter 4 bundle does come with MH4 installed,though.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@yukoasho: Yeah, I'd much prefer it that bundles just give you a physical copy, because A) no messiness with combining it with your existing account, and B) you can lend it to people or whatever.

But now that just about every major game is available digitally on all the consoles and handhelds, I expect most bundles will give you the game digitally whenever possible.

Well, I guess it's as good a way as any to get you to buy the "bundle" game again in a format for ownership rights...

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I bought the 2DS/Pokemon X bundle for my fiancee last year. The game came preinstalled on the 2DS, but I wanted to transfer it to my 3DS since the 2DS was basically going to be an Animal Crossing machine. Unfortunately, Nintendo would not let me transfer the game to another account.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

So this how pre-installed games work. Their license is tied to the system so you'll need to do a system transfer to move the license over, otherwise you wont be able to redownload the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.