BAH BAH

• 59 results
#51 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#52 Posted by SomethingClever (419 posts) -

I don't feel incredibly passionate about it, but I do play this newest game with the volume off. I'm missing out on all of the sound design because without even realizing it the incessant bah's turned me off completely. That really is a shame. I didn't realize it actually mattered that much to me but it must.

#53 Posted by vikingdeath1 (953 posts) -

@Jack268: WAIT WHAT?!??!

"explosion"

(mind Blown)

#54 Posted by FreakAche (2953 posts) -

I still don't understand why people get so upset about this. It seems that just because Jeff complained about the "BAH" on the podcast, now everyone feels the need to retroactively decide to hate it.

#55 Posted by Sjupp (1910 posts) -

It's "Wah wah" get it right, jeez.

#56 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: This is my daily reminder that I hate you.

#57 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

@FreakAche said:

I still don't understand why people get so upset about this. It seems that just because Jeff complained about the "BAH" on the podcast, now everyone feels the need to retroactively decide to hate it.

Jeff started the conversation, but not the hate. I liked the original NSMB theme, and still do. However, it didn't take me long to notice the bahs, and I immediately disliked them. It never ruined the music for me, though. Now, we have a soundtrack in which some songs use this annoying sound exclusively. Furthermore, Overworld and Athletic are the same song, which is taken directly from the original game. At least they could give us a new song!

I really like the OP. I have to agree that game music has always been important to me. Music can shape our perception of a game. I think an excellent example from my childhood is the original Metal Gear Solid.

I can't begin to describe to you how nostalgic the alert theme is for me. It's perfect. It defines the tension, the excitement, and the emotion of playing as Solid Snake. Had the music been ugly or silly, I honestly don't think I would have enjoyed the game as much. Just imagine some key notes in that song being replaced by a dramatic Mario "bah." No, just no. That's silly, but just imagine the original SMB song, the one we all love, with that sound. It wouldn't be as timeless.

#58 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

Wow. I thought Jeff was overreacting. I think he has a right to be outraged now...

#59 Posted by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

Good article. Not just on the "bah" issue but the stagnation of the Mario franchise that we seem to be in. Hopefully the creative gears at Nintendo can get this going. I have no doubt in them.

Good article.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.