Download Speeds?

#1 Posted by tyxja (281 posts) -

I heard this game is around 370 mb, and it's about 1/3 of the way downloaded after about 40 minutes.

So, speed of smell basically. Anybody faring better?

#2 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Was done in like 15 minutes for me.

#3 Posted by VirtuaXav (450 posts) -

Just out of interest, why did you two download the game?

Over here (in Australia) you can find the game for about $15 cheaper in stores so there's no way I'll be downloading it.

#4 Posted by tyxja (281 posts) -

Well, it's the first of it's kind from Nintendo, and I like the idea of just having the newest Mario title built right into my 3DS so I can still have another game cartridge in there.

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Whatever man this game marks the first coloured box, its yellow!

#6 Posted by kindisaurus (2794 posts) -

Well, at least Nintendo is putting their foot forward and going digital. Only another generation until they reach better speeds!

Joking aside, my download speed is chugging as well. It's possible that everyone is downloading it, but I feel like the majority of 3DS owners probably don't really browse the digital market and instead purchase it retail. I could be wrong, however.

#7 Posted by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

I really wish these digital downloads of retail games cost like 5 or 10% less. Sure it doesn't seem like much, but a lot of time, you pay for the packaging and with digital downloads, you don't get that. Just my rant. Maybe some day my dream will come true.

#8 Posted by tyxja (281 posts) -

I didn't know the box was yellow until I pumped 40 bucks into my 3DS a few weeks ago! D: So it was too late, I'm afraid.

#9 Posted by 49th (2813 posts) -

Only Nintendo could price the download more expensive than the boxed game.

#10 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

@49th: If you want those bonus coins, you have to be willing to pay more coins.

#11 Edited by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

@Hizang said:

The copy I got was regular old white. :( I live in the US.

#12 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@JJOR64 said:

@Hizang said:

Check it son!
#13 Posted by believer258 (12089 posts) -

@cbarnes86 said:

I really wish these digital downloads of retail games cost like 5 or 10% less. Sure it doesn't seem like much, but a lot of time, you pay for the packaging and with digital downloads, you don't get that. Just my rant. Maybe some day my dream will come true.

Steam? Games on there go on sale all the time.

#14 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

@VirtuaXav: I hate physical stuff. I'd get the digital even if it cost twice as much!

#15 Posted by VirtuaXav (450 posts) -

@yoshimitz707: Yea I totally get that, especially for a portable console. I just wish they'd make the prices a bit more competitive, then I'd be all over the downloadable stuff.

#16 Edited by Linkster7 (1043 posts) -

@Hizang said:

Check it son!

@JJOR64 said:

@Hizang said:

Goddamn it, I just bought it on the eshop. That yellow case looks sweet!

But rather be able to play it without the cartridge anyway.

OT: It looks about 70% done and it's been going for maybe 4-5 minutes.

#17 Posted by DoctorTran (1570 posts) -

I wanted to download it but then decided to just buy a hard copy. That way my wife could play it on her own 3DS if she felt like it.

#18 Posted by Slaegar (737 posts) -

Took maybe 20 minutes for me. I was timing it but forgot to check the timer immediately after. Not exactly full speed of my internet but not a terrible speed. If it took 15 minutes it would be downloading at roughly 400 KB/s or 3.2Mb/s. This was in the afternoon of the day it was released.

I'm hoping the 3DS gets a good library of downloadable games like the PSP since the 3DS has replaced my PSP for portable games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.