Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 28, 2012

The New Super Mario series continues on the 3DS in this new installment, which puts the focus on collecting as many coins as possible.

I'm really on the fence. Your thoughts?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrockNRolla

I've become a lover of my 3DS since I've spent a large amount of time commuting to and from work between Chicago and Wisconsin this summer, and I've been voraciously jumping on a lot of the 3DS's content this summer as a result. (Which there hasn't exactly been a quality dearth of.) But despite my craving for something new these last few weeks, I'm stilling finding myself hesitant to pick up New Super Mario Bros 2.

Mind you, I only played the Wii version briefly, and though it seemed fine, like a typical Mario game, but I'm not sure that New Super Mario Bros 2 will have enough to hold my attention for any real period of time. The "Coin Attack" sort of thing holds no interest for me, but the typical challenge of Mario platforming could be fun if there was enough of it. What do you folks think? Are you picking up New Super Mario Bros 2? Do you think it will be worth the $40?

MstrMnyBgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MstrMnyBgs

I'm in the same boat. I feel I can only play a side scrolling Mario so many times.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

The first one was very good, first Mario side platformer I enjoyed in a long while (not that they released many since the 3D time that wasn't a remake) so I'm saying this will probably be fun.
    Not sure if there's enough platforming and not a big focus on that coin nonsense but if there is I say its probably one of the best choices for a quick level (or a dozen) out there.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

I've never really been into the New Super Mario Brothers games too much, I don't see why they keep making them. Just start Super Mario Bros 4 goddamn it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By Slag

@BrockNRolla said:

Mind you, I only played the Wii version briefly, and though it seemed fine, like a typical Mario game, but I'm not sure that New Super Mario Bros 2 will have enough to hold my attention for any real period of time. The "Coin Attack" sort of thing holds no interest for me, but the typical challenge of Mario platforming could be fun if there was enough of it. What do you folks think? Are you picking up New Super Mario Bros 2? Do you think it will be worth the $40?

If I ever own a 3DS, absolutely. Will NSMB2 be worth 40 bucks? Absolutely, never played a core Mario title that hasn't been worth full price.

FWIW I thought the New Super Mario Bros. Wii is the worst 2d Mario I ever played and I've played them all. I thought the Wii remote was a pretty lousy controller for that game. So maybe your hesitancy is due to that.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

I liked the first one, but I just don't think I can care about the new New Super Mario Bros. Also, the completionist/collector in me hates the idea behind this game - I just know that having so many things to collect will annoy me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

I don't care for the New style, but it's god damn 2D Mario. I can't resist.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By randyf

My body will not allow me to go without buying any new Mario platformer that comes out. I've read some reviews, and most people are complaining that it's more of the same. Yeah, that's probably true, but if I look at it as a glorified giant Mario level pack, I'm in. Just the act of playing a Mario game is fun, even if it's the same type of fun, as long as there are enough new, challenging levels, I'll be happy.

On a side note, Jim Sterling of Destructoid counted Peach getting kidnapped again as a negative and criticized other reviewers that ignore it. I think he's crazy. You're not going into a Mario game for the rich narrative. If Peach getting kidnapped gives me enough context to run from left to right, that's enough for me. If all three Mass Effect games started off with the council getting kidnapped, then you might have something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts are that if this was a sequel to Mario 2, then I would have finally bought a 3DS. That's not the case though. It's yet another of these "New" Mario games that all look identical. Bleh.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By skadave

New Super Mario Brothers never really did it for me. . . and this is coming from a person who loves 2D Platformers.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@RandyF said:

On a side note, Jim Sterling of Destructoid counted Peach getting kidnapped again as a negative and criticized other reviewers that ignore it. I think he's crazy. You're not going into a Mario game for the rich narrative. If Peach getting kidnapped gives me enough context to run from left to right, that's enough for me. If all three Mass Effect games started off with the council getting kidnapped, then you might have something.

This is why nobody pays attention to that idiot Jim Sterling.

I'm not sure if I'll pick it up, it's just more of the same. I might wait for a price reduction or Christmas instead. Actually, Darksiders II is out the same month, so I'll definitely be doing that.

BryanEgbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BryanEgbert

I'm leaning towards picking it up alongside the XL, but the amount of reused assets (even all of the music) is just despicable. As a longtime Nintendo fan, it's a shame, especially since 3D Land was so well done.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By freakin9

I might be more interested if they solved the way too many 1ups problem, than the... well I'm not sure there was a coin "problem" but at least there's more of an incentive to getting them. Really, I don't own a 3ds, but I find myself craving Mario no matter what comes out, and I hate Nintendo for having me in their web for it.

It's weird though, for awhile Nintendo wouldn't make direct sequels like Galaxy 2, and now NSMB2, at least so soon. The long drawn out waiting for the perfect idea process seems to have gone by the wayside.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By TehFlan

I'm not super excited about it, but I'll get it at some point (probably when the fall semester ends). I mean I'm normally all over a Mario game, but it feels like there's been a lot recently, and the gimmick for this one is uninteresting.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

@RandyF said:

My body will not allow me to go without buying any new Mario platformer that comes out. I've read some reviews, and most people are complaining that it's more of the same. Yeah, that's probably true, but if I look at it as a glorified giant Mario level pack, I'm in. Just the act of playing a Mario game is fun, even if it's the same type of fun, as long as there are enough new, challenging levels, I'll be happy.

HA Jim Sterling. Next time he'll be complaining about too much jumping.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By liako21

I'm still gonna pick it up. But i suggest they relax on the mario games for a few years (at least the side scrolling ones). another game very similar to this one is coming out this holiday with the wiiU.

from a business point of view i think they were thinking, "WE NEED MARIO GAMES TO GET US OUT OF THE RED!!!!".....Mario sells.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm thinking about it, but something about it feels a little lazy... I even kinda hate myself for saying that, I usually go nuts for anything Mario involving suits and tails. I wish Luigi's Mansion was coming out before this.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By FreakAche

I like these games a lot, so I think I'll probably pick this up.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I'm ready to play this one but I think come the Wii U version I'll probably be burned out on 2d mario. I'll just play me some rayman.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By kindgineer

You really have to enjoy the "pointless" game-play that Mario delivers. While I still think Nintendo has some of the best level designers in development; other than Super Mario Galaxy, the formula has grown stale. I know we all love Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, but I think it's time for Nintendo to let go of that nostalgia premise and really innovate like they have already done. However, I do understand that although I'm 23, there are plenty of children out there experiencing Super Mario for the first time and maybe that is their goal.

superpapergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By superpapergun

I'm on the fence about it now that the quick look for this game is out. I'll be getting an XL on Sunday and might get this or 3D Land. Choices..

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By AndrewB

@superpapergun said:

I'm on the fence about it now that the quick look for this game is out. I'll be getting an XL on Sunday and might get this or 3D Land. Choices..

If it's between the two, get 3D Land. That's a genuinely unique and fun Mario game that also happens to play better in 3D.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Cirdain

no

mabber36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mabber36

super meat boy is 15 dollars, so why is this game 40?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I just beat the game. Ask me anything!

Opinion: It's okay. Whatevs. I'll sink some time into Coin Rush mode soon and see how I feel.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By and333

I'm reading some comments and i'm gonna have to go against the Mario Lovers cause they don't understand what their doing! Buying these "Retro" but new Mario game leads to creative stagnancy because think this way why improve when you can make more of the same and make the same amount of money as making a new different fresh mario game.

This Mario is just Mario 3 with a Fresh coat of paint! Vote with your dollars people or Nintendo year after year will make the same thing over and over again much like Madden. You gotta remember Nintendo is a Company and Companies want to make money as easily as possible!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I can say one thing: That music seems absolutely horrid -- even though Koji Kondo is listed as Sound Advisor. How the mighty have fallen. I remember that his soundtrack for Lylat Wars was criticized for being too whimsy, but what I heard in the Quicklook takes whimsy too a whole new level. My god …

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Phatmac

I bet if they called this Super Mario Bros 4 people would buy it in an instant.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I think my little brother, who's totally all about Mario and especially the Wii game at the moment, will dig this. People like you, who's probably played a billion mario platformers, will probably be left undesired. Now if they did that "mix the power-ups" thing that Vinny blindly thought with the small mushroom and raccoon leaf in the quick look, then I could see it being interesting.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#31  Edited By Slag

@and333: I would say you have a point if Nintendo wasn't also making totally new innovative Mario IPs like the Mario Galaxy series.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Tireyo

I'm just waiting for Paper Mario 3DS to come out.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rand0mZer00

I am currently in World 4 and I am really enjoying the game. I understand why anyone would have a problem with the game, but once you start playing it and enjoying the levels, all of those criticisms start to go away. Sure, it's the same gameplay that we have all played before, but those other games were all fun to play and so is NSMB 2. In the end, I just wanted to play some Super Mario Bros and enjoy myself, and that is what I am getting with this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.