@Chaser324 said:

@haha_dead said:

Jeff used the dreaded b-word

Bitch?

Bush?

Ballsack

Bamboozled?

Bozo? Balzac? Basutoland? Botticelli?

It did look kinda boring, I would like to see something a bit more - different - with the Mario games, especially the 2D ones. I want them to go crazy both with the mechanics and the visuals!

#53 Posted by Humanity (9056 posts) -

@haha_dead: I think he is being overly generous by not outright condemning it for being a very similar rehash of previous installments. With the caveat that new players will find a lot to like, everyone else who has played previous iterations of this franchise are presented with basically the same product. You can collect a million coins in this one, but it's still the same SMB we have all played since we were children. At a certain point I think everyone would have enough, and I personally consider it detrimental to the overall quality of games Nintendo puts out to praise this mentality of "our fans will just eat this up regardless of changes." They can do so much more, they can introduce a slew of new capabilities and items. Kirby manages to evolve from game to game, and while sometimes hit and miss at least we see something different. I'm sure the plunger bro's can finally embark on some new quest where we can all say WOW that was awesome instead of reliving the same scenarios over and over.

#54 Posted by haha_dead (14 posts) -

rather than taking a broad position on Nintendo's approach to fan service (easy to do as a hardcore gamer that plays everything - that includes me) it feels way more relevant and useful to come at it from the point of view of some guy who owns a 3DS, and wants something to play on it. NSMB2 is an obvious recommend. There aren't that many great games yet. I still think that some games show their greatness in a single breeze through, and others show their nuances only with repeated play, delving into the collectibles, etc. and suspect Jeff didn't experience this game that way - playing the same level a bunch of times trying to find that elusive third medallion, experiencing the payoff when he got it, etc. That was my point; not splitting hairs about the basic quality.

#55 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@Guided_By_Tigers

@Chaser324 said:

@haha_dead said:

Bitch?

Bush?

Ballsack

Bamboozled?

Bozo? Balzac? Basutoland? Botticelli?

Best? Finding out what b-word this is is the only thing I care about now. Please tell me OP.

#56 Posted by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

I believe the b word wasn't "boring" as is being wildly assumed, but boring's second cousin from another marriage "bland".

#57 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

It's a fine game, but having played the other 2 NSMB games really puts a damper on it because it is pretty much more of the same. 3D Land being less than a year behind us hurts it even more I think. That game was awesome.

#58 Posted by DeF (4861 posts) -

@Jolt92 said:

NSMB is a bit tired to me, the artstyle is really fucking boring.

!!!!!! THIS they really really really need to fix. I think that bugs a lot more people than they realize. What's the first thing everyone points out about Rayman Origins/Legends? Right, how gorgeous it looks. New Super Mario Bros games on the other hand? Simple, bland, 3D models on very clean, safe and uninspired-looking 2D backgrounds. This is where they need to change things up a lot! I believe a fresh coat of paint would've fooled a lot of reviewers into liking this way more than they do as it is since the fact that it plays very similar to the other NSMB games is highlighted by the game looking identical.

At least with NSMB.U, they apparently got their A-team working on it and the hand-drawn-looking backgrounds spice things up a lot compared to its handheld sibling.

#59 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I've spent a while with it, I agree with some of the things that he said, but I wouldn't call this game boring. Sure its very similar to the past games, but right now my 3DS doesn't have to much else going on so why not.

#60 Posted by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

My mind has become set to skip this one and your post did nothing to convince me otherwise. Cool that you're having fun though.

#61 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

I agree with Jeff. I'm all for 2D style games, but they need more of a hook than "EVERYTHING EXPLODES INTO COINS NOW!" Frankly, the whole coin collecting thing has always been the least interesting part of Mario games for me. It really just distracts from the much more appealing platforming. The challenge of reaching some areas (for power ups or big coins or whatever) is a much more interesting angle. It is all about the wall kicks. Of course I'm someone that loved Galaxy and thought Galaxy 2 was boring because it was too similar.

#62 Posted by Crocio (542 posts) -

Baggering

#63 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

You don't seem to have disagreed with Jeff at all, you're just more willing to play the same game again.

#64 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

I found New Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. Wii to be boring as well. So, I'm pretty sure this game is going to be no different. I guess the thing for me is that these games simply seem like they are just adding new levels to the old retro style games. Which actually seems awesome in theory, but when I go to play these games I find myself realizing I'd rather just go back and play Super Mario Bros. 3 or World again if I'm going to play this style of game.

On the other hand though, I really like what they did with Super Mario 3D Land. A new take on the same Mario platforming that makes the game different and enjoyable. Similarly, I'd love to see them try to take some risks with a normal side scrolling Mario platformer, but I doubt that's something Nintendo is going to do.

#65 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

The thing is, it's going to be compared to 3D Land and that game was spectacular. This game may be good but 3D Land set a really high bar for all future 3DS Mario games.

#66 Posted by AndrewB (7588 posts) -

I think it's more like this:

You might not remember each iteration of Mario from the NES through the early days of the Wii being substantially different, but they were. Then suddenly we got Mario Galaxy, which was so good and had so many ideas left over that we got a sequel. That wasn't too bad. Then we saw New Super Mario Bros, another one of those for the Wii, and then another one for the 3DS. That's a lot of iteration. Granted, this new one tries to do something different with the whole gold coins thing, but personally that whole concept and the concept of the new powerups is more of a turnoff than a good thing. So it tired and it failed.... for me, at least.

I'm not done with Mario games, but I'm done with Mario games of this style.

#67 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It amazes me that anyone wants to play more Mario. I got burned out halfway through Mario 64 and haven't craved anymore since.

You guys are crazy. Video games!

#68 Posted by RuthLoose (807 posts) -
#69 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

brownies? mmmmmmm

#70 Posted by liako21 (520 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I dunno what they have to do to make Mario fun again but...

Super Mario 3D Land?

#71 Posted by Dalai (7017 posts) -

It does look Bieber.

#72 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3857 posts) -

@liako21 said:

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I dunno what they have to do to make Mario fun again but...

Super Mario 3D Land?

I do like that game. I was more talking about 2D mario.

#73 Edited by freakin9 (1113 posts) -

I thought I was done with Mario after Galaxy (Yes I'm "That" one guy that didn't care for Galaxy) but the dude got me back in subsequent games(no I didn't bother with Galaxy 2). I still haven't decided on getting this... since I don't actually own a 3ds, though I did have one briefly to play "Land".

It's also interesting how people are really getting on Mario for the childishness now, when I thought Galaxy was the "too far" point.

#74 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@freakin9: Childishness? Whatever that means, it is not the problem I've been having with this game.

#75 Posted by Tebbit (4461 posts) -

I'll tell you one thing: I'm sick as hell of that stupid "bah ba, ba ba ba da" music. IT SUCKS SO BAD BUT THEY KEEP PUTTING IT BACK IN.

On topic, I think OP has made a valid and cohesive argument, just because it doesn't align with Jeff's review (or you don't agree with it) doesn't mean it is an incorrect opinion. I haven't played the game, but I haven't been at all enthused with how the game looks just like New Super Mario Bros 1 - which did not drag me in at all. I'd almost be ready for another Super Mario Galaxy actually. Because they were effin' amazing.

#76 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

Sorry, but the argument "the reason you didn't have fun is because you played it wrong" has never sat well with me. If a game doesn't entice people into doing something, which none of the Mario games have managed to do for me with the three coins per level gimmick, you can't really call people out for not doing it. There isn't much reason to collect the three coins per level aside from "just because". Not to mention it kind of brings to pacing to a complete stop, because it forces you to go slower and check absolutely everywhere. Also, the three coins per level isn't new to this game. It's becoming as standard in a Mario game as jumping.

#77 Posted by ToTheNines (712 posts) -

Not the b-word!?!

#78 Posted by haha_dead (14 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix: Not that I think he played it 'wrong', I just think some of the game's strengths come to light when you play some of the levels a few times. There are dozens of little things that Mario games do right, just in terms of rhythm, that very few other platformers manage to do. Yet I also fully appreciate it's not going to be everyone's jam.

#79 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@haha_dead said:

@FlarePhoenix: Not that I think he played it 'wrong', I just think some of the game's strengths come to light when you play some of the levels a few times. There are dozens of little things that Mario games do right, just in terms of rhythm, that very few other platformers manage to do. Yet I also fully appreciate it's not going to be everyone's jam.

Possibly, but that still doesn't change the fact this game doesn't really offer anything substantial. It's a competent Mario game, but we've seen the same thing done time and time again. I'm sorry, but "we'll make the player have to get lots and lots and coins" seems like the kind of idea someone came up with at the last minute after a few cases of beer. It's a fine game, but it's not a groundbreaking title. I can completely understand how someone would find it boring.

#80 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

MORTAL KOMBAT VITA 5/5!

#81 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4969 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Sackmanjones said:

@Guided_By_Tigers

@Chaser324 said:

@haha_dead said:

Bitch?

Bush?

Ballsack

Bamboozled?

Brandenburg

#82 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

I beat the main game, now I'm going back through collecting medallions. I don't know if I'm going to finish doing that or not. There's fun to be had...but it is getting pretty boring. And I've only had it for a couple days...

#83 Posted by toastface (106 posts) -

From what I've seen, I am struggling to justify spending $60 - $70 (AU) on this game. I would wait until it comes down in price, but Nintendo games just don't. Super Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time are still $60.

#84 Posted by BasketSnake (1194 posts) -

The last 2D mario I played all the way through was new super mario on DS. I don't own a wii and I barely tried galaxy 1 and 2 and new mario bros on wii so for me it's going to be great. 30 hours and 100% on mario 3d land and I sometimes jump back into it and replay a few levels just because it's so damn good. I think so anyways.

#85 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@BasketSnake: Super Mario 3D Land is great. This game though, it's basically New Super Mario Bros. again. It doesn't feel "new" at all. It might feel a bit fresher to someone who never played New Wii, but don't go into it expecting a unique experience like 3D Land offered.

#86 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@toastface said:

From what I've seen, I am struggling to justify spending $60 - $70 (AU) on this game. I would wait until it comes down in price, but Nintendo games just don't. Super Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time are still $60.

If you're in Australia, DungeonCrawl on eBay has got it for about $53.

#87 Posted by DoctorTran (1556 posts) -
@Guided_By_Tigers

@Chaser324 said:

@haha_dead said:

Bitch?

Bush?

Beyonce?
#88 Edited by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

The one thing that threw me off was when he said you couldn't be giant Mario. I just started playing and in world 1-2, there is a pipe you can shoot fireballs into and it gives you a giant mushroom.

I would cut Jeff some slack considering he has to blast through games one after another and I am sure the formula is just tedious to him.

#89 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: As far as I can tell, they only come from those fireball pipes. So someone who doesn't care for the coin-collecting thing is likely to miss it completely.

#90 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@LordAndrew: I didn't think I was going to coin collect either until I found a trick to getting the coin power ups.

#91 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

To me, NSMB 2 was not boring but it was uninspired. For someone that didn't play the DS or Wii game(s), this could be an interesting game. In my case, having played both, this was just more mario 2d platforming.

Maybe they should have waited a year and try to include more interesting stuff in the game. In no way is this a bad game just a sequel that does not do much differently. Id still give it an 8 out of 10.

When you think about annual sports franchises (nfl, nhl, tiger woods, etc.); those games I would never consider buying new every year ! New Super Mario Bros 2 is far from that.

#92 Posted by joeshabadoo (251 posts) -

This game is completely vindicated by the streetpass coin rush challenge mode, but that does present the problem/caveat of many 3DS games: they are freaking awesome if you live in a major metropolitan area, streetpassin like a boss. These stages are uniquely designed to force people to use the limited time intelligently during coin rush mode to gather as many as possible. And high-level players can choose to save a Coin Rush record with the more interesting and devious stages involved. Stages without coin spam exploits and flagpoles that are tough to fully mount. Getting that gold crown and beating someone's CR record gets so addictive.

Also some of the later stages are quite fun, and there are some insanely tough hidden exits in the game

F the haters. Quality game. That said, NSMB U will be superior

#93 Posted by jmood88 (394 posts) -

I'm surprised that it has taken this long for so many people to criticize the way Nintendo rehashes Mario & Friends.

#94 Posted by joeshabadoo (251 posts) -

Uh people have been criticizing that very thing for many years now. But it's not like they annualize him, or don't come with at least a few fresh elements for each outing

#95 Posted by robcat09 (48 posts) -

Having a blast with this game. The level design is very creative. I constantly have a smile on my face while playing. There are clever little touches everywhere that keep things entertaining. The way people make it sound, I almost didn't bother with it, but I'm glad I did. Very solid level design, especially when hunting down all three stars. 3D graphics are beautiful, too.

#96 Posted by TooWalrus (13169 posts) -

I bought this right when it came out. Still haven't been able to bring myself to finish it. It's just so god damn... Yeah. Boring. I don't even know what "Very solid level design" means in this context. It's just no fun to play.

#97 Posted by robcat09 (48 posts) -

It is extremely fun to play. I wonder what is making you miss the 'fun'. Maybe the game is a rehash of the Wii game, and because I have not played that it all seems fresh and new to me. There are things happening that I personally have never seen before in a Mario game. The haunted houses in particular have had unpredictable platform behaviors I found amusing. I like when I can spot an out of the way area, and go exploring there, and always being rewarded for my efforts with a star or power-up. I think it is very fun when the entire level seems to erupt into a sea of coins because you triggered something, and then it's a mad dash to try to grab as many as possible without killing yourself. Every level has some element that I found clever. So, 'solid level design' means that the game is constantly keeping me on my toes, making me want to explore, and rewarding me when I do so. Each World has had a very different feel, both graphically and with enemy variety. Trying to figure out how to unlock the hidden worlds is fun. I found a 'rainbow' world and don't even know what that is! Seems to be filled with a lot of surprising aspects that, again, if other games prior already had these things, I could see why it would not be as exciting. Still, the levels are not EXACTLY the same as any other game so there is still challenge in discovering these things for yourself. The 3D is gorgeous.

#98 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Yeah...the whole 3DS is b-word if you ask me. I sold mine after about 3 weeks with Mario 3D Land and FF:Theatrhythm, early word was that this Mario game was not that great, there weren't any worthwhile RPGs on the horizon so I saw no point in having it.

#99 Posted by GunstarRed (5120 posts) -

@aquamarin: Your'e right, it's the most boring console. I think the buttons are too round and the screens are too rectangular. The whole thing is mega boring.

#100 Posted by JonathanAshleyMoore (283 posts) -

@TruthTellah: Bragadocious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.