What happens when you get 1,000,000 coins (SPOILERS).

#1 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

So the first person to get a million coins put the video of what happens once you accomplish this. You would think that it would be a huge deal to accomplish something like this but...well...just watch the video...(skip to about 5:15 if you don't want to watch him collect the remaining coins).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dze00JTqkVU

So you get Mario and Luigi saying "Congrats!" and a new title screen. Is this what you would expect or want to happen after completing a huge achievement like this? Personally I think it is underwhelming but I haven't been impressed by any of the "New" Super Mario games for a while.

#2 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

It's Beedle all over again.

#3 Posted by Heltom92 (706 posts) -

I was thinking about getting this game, haven't played my 3DS in a while and was looking for something to get back into it.

This game just seems pretty boring though, and collecting a million coins does not sounds like fun.

#4 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

Well , that's not very rewarding .

#5 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

Really, what do you expect from a Mario game? FMV of Reggie congratulating you?

Actually, that's a great idea.

#6 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

@ThePickle: New mode or levels would be nice.

#7 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

I LOVE GOLD

#8 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

That would be great!

#9 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Not even a new level or a new character to play as? that's pretty lame.

#10 Posted by CornBREDX (4836 posts) -

Wow... that's really disappointing. You'd think at least it'd unlock one level full of nothing but coins or something crazy. 
Nintendo is behind the times, well... In this case anyway.

#11 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

@Binman88 said:

@ThePickle: New mode or levels would be nice.

The amount of people who will get the million coins is probably small. Too small to justify putting in an extra mode or levels I imagine.

#12 Posted by believer258 (11677 posts) -

I can't place my finger on it but after seeing the Quick Look this game just seems boring.

Anyway, I didn't expect anything special. I was thinking about this as I watched the Quick Look, and then I thought I wouldn't be surprised if the game just said "Good job!" and nothing else.

#13 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

@ThePickle: Like someone mentioned above, maybe a new character or outfit or something. Anything!

#14 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

Two games are on sale in the 3DS shop this weekend... This is the one I'm skipping, they need to stop with the whole new Newer NEWEST Super Mario Bros series for a bit. Change back to 3D? This 1,000,000 coin thing seemed like a good incentive but what's the point if the reward is just going to disappoint? Why not at least put a special level full of all the costumes and infinite coins or something? Or a new character? Or a teaser for the next entry? Something! Hell subscribing for GiantBomb premium already has a cooler thing that pops up once you're done renewing (or first time subscriber).

#15 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Shame, I kind of wanted them to collect all the money and have Wario and Waluigi show up and beat them the fuck up before leaving with their cash!
Setting the tone for a new game!

#16 Posted by jacksonroye (68 posts) -

That's extremely disappointing. I mean, I know it's Nintendo, but you'd think they'd do something for you!

#17 Posted by papercut (3451 posts) -

You should unlock Golden Pimp Mario.

#18 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

It's like the opposite of Diablo. Longest time to least meaningful reward.

#19 Posted by crazyflashfan11 (2 posts) -

That dosent really seem correct on Nintendo's part. Although there games are fantastical.

#20 Edited by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

Edit - Someone beat me to the joke.

#21 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

The hell were some of you expecting a handjob?

#22 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Lunar_Aura The princess giving Mario and Luigi a handy would actually be a really satisfying climax for a Mario game...

Anyway, this just reaffirms my belief that Nintendo just don't give a shit at all anymore
#23 Edited by pyromagnestir (4252 posts) -

Man, I was really hoping that for 1 million coins Princess Peach would give me a piece of her cake, if ya know what I'm saying.

#24 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

That pretty much sums it up my view on this game. It feels lazy.

#25 Posted by freakin9 (1102 posts) -

Maybe Nintendo is trying to not make people feel BAD about not feeling like collecting the Million coins? I know there must be ways to get the million kinda easily, but it doesn't seem like a horrible decision to make the reward... terrible... in that sense.

#26 Posted by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

Maybe Nintendo is trying to not make people feel BAD about not feeling like collecting the Million coins? I know there must be ways to get the million kinda easily, but it doesn't seem like a horrible decision to make the reward... terrible... in that sense.

Maybe...

Maybe we're the monsters.

#27 Posted by Trilogy (2645 posts) -

@freakin9 said:

That's some fucked up logic, my friend.

#28 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

This reminds me of that level in Spyro 3, I think you could only unlock it after getting all the gems. The level was just FILLED WITH GEMS. This is very underwhelming in comparison.

#29 Posted by ImHungry (376 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

I really want that FMV of Reggie now.

#30 Posted by Stackboy (483 posts) -

Nintendo.

#31 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2461 posts) -

Wasn't this always the case with modern Mario games though? On the N64 it was a bunch of extra lifes and a graphical effect for the tripple jump, in Yoshi's Island it was pointless stars on the level select screen and so on.

#32 Posted by jacksonroye (68 posts) -

You get to play through the whole game again as a toilet?

#33 Posted by Brad (2881 posts) -

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 3DS needs game-level unlockable hats for your StreetPass Mii. This would have been the ultimate hard-to-get hat.

Staff
#34 Posted by Demoskinos (14579 posts) -

@Brad said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 3DS needs game-level unlockable hats for your StreetPass Mii. This would have been the ultimate hard-to-get hat.

Speaking of unlockable wardrobes I wish more 360 games would use Avatar Awards. I wore that damn Johnny Gat head from Saints Row 3 for most of the year.

#35 Posted by coakroach (2488 posts) -

Nintendo!

#36 Posted by Rincewind (247 posts) -

What will Mario spend a million coins on though? Follow the money

#37 Posted by adoggz (2046 posts) -

If you collect a million coins in a Mario game than you should get to play as those coins.

#38 Posted by AndrewB (7511 posts) -

I was hoping it would unlock a mode where you play as Wario stealing the million coins back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.