I am actually having a lot of fun with this game.

#1 Posted by big_jon (5788 posts) -

I just got a Wii U and along side Zelda Windwaker HD which was packed in I got Super Mario Bros U with it, I saw it for 30$ at costco so I grabbed it before I got the console. That said, I am actually really enjoying both games and as someone who beat Mario bros Wii once and has not really had contact with these games for a fair bit of time I am really enjoying myself with Mario Bros U more than I expected based on the response to it.

I wonder if any of you guys feel similarly? I mean there is no arguing that Nintendo have put out too many of these games too fast, but if you avoided half of them I personally think this one is a fun experience.

Now I am just jonesing for Mario 3D World and DKC Tropical freeze!

#2 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1092 posts) -

Yeah I enjoyed the hell out of Mario Wii U as well. I haven't played a Mario game since N64 so I guess it was bound to be good lol. From what I hear though is that if you passed on the Wii version then this one is fantastic.

#3 Posted by Mideon (7 posts) -

When I inevitably buy a WiiU, I will almost certainly play this. I've beaten all of them so far, and I love them. Getting all the Star Coins in MarioWii was vicious, Coin Rush and DLC was a good diversion in Mario2, and the original was original. I actually especially look forward to the Luigi add-on.

That said, I'm damn sure gonna play SM3DW first.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12123 posts) -

I'm sure NSMB U is fine. It's just a victim of being the 4th New Super Mario bros game using that exact aesthetic and gameplay style.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

Mario Bros. games are fun. Rarely are they better than the games that preceded them, but that doesn't make them bad games.

#6 Posted by TheKing (844 posts) -

I thought that game was a ton of fun.

#7 Edited by Aegon (5840 posts) -

Well I've avoided pretty much all of them, so I think it'd be safe for me to acquire a copy and enjoy it with the purchase of a Wii U.

#8 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

NSMBU is a great Mario game. I never touched much of the previous NSMB games, so I haven't had the chance to become burned out on them, but I think it's fun.

And New Super Luigi U is basically NSMB Hard Mode.

#9 Edited by Brendan (8155 posts) -

Isnt there just 1 NSMB per platform? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was one for the DS, Wii, 3DS, and WiiU. Thats still four games, but I think its cool that they make a new game each time with new levels rather than rerelease the same content for every new platform. One per platform seems acceptable to me.

#10 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

Ehh, maybe if I never touched the past NSMB games then I would care about the Wii U version, but not enough to pay $300 to play it.

#11 Posted by Hunter5024 (5968 posts) -

I really enjoyed playing through it with my friends, though we all unanimously agreed that NSMB Wii was a superior game. I think a lot of the negativity just had to do with NSMB2 coming out only a couple months before hand, causing people to be weary of the franchise, especially since that actually was a pretty bad game by all accounts.

Still, even having enjoyed my time with it I think the game could have been a lot better. Those levels were just really uninspired and it felt like kind of a forgettable waste of a Mario game.

#12 Posted by AgnosticJesus (545 posts) -

Very glad to hear you guys are enjoying this game. I just picked up the Wii bundled with Mario Wii U and the Luigi add on for my son for Xmas. Even though I have an Xbox One and a PS4 preordered, I'm looking forward most to getting my hands on the new Mario World 3D.

#13 Edited by BradBrains (1179 posts) -

its easily the best nsmb game. i really enjoyed it but have no urge to play it again. In saying this i finished mario 3 this weekend for the millionth time.

#14 Posted by Dalai (7071 posts) -

Since I haven't played the portable Mario games, I didn't feel the burnout some did. It's a solid Mario game and does some cool things, but 3D World looks to be that Mario game we've been wanting since Galaxy.

#15 Posted by Scullinator (514 posts) -

@big_jon: im with you. I picked up a wind waker bundle a few months ago. got mario U and Lego Marvel. Been looking for a used copy of Rayman Legends. Cant not mention the hours I have sunk in to mario kart. WiiU is gonna tide me over till these new systems see some sort of winner or a nice price drop.

Nov. 22. Mario 3D world and new Zelda is what ill be in line for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.