Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. U

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 18, 2012

Mario, Luigi and the rest of the cast return for their HD debut in New Super Mario Bros. U with support for five players in boost mode, a Super Mario World-style world map with secret shortcuts and hidden levels, a brand new challenge mode and Miiverse integration.

Pro Controller NOT Supported?!?!?!

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Are you fucking kidding me? What is the point of having the Pro if you're stuck using the stupid Wiimotes??

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By morningstar

It seems like Nintendo always drops the ball in some unexpected ways.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By coakroach

Dont worry they'll fix it with an 8GB patch

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By kindgineer

My thoughts exactly. Nintendo finds the best ways to make great products with pitfall decisions buried underneath. The fact that the Pro controller wasn't supported didn't boggle my mind as much as the lack of support for multi-player with the super controller :/.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

Yeah that is a bummer how they handled the whole thing. I figured a Mario game would be playable on the pro controller. I guess people will have to make sure to read the game cases before buying WiiU games.

mobius006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mobius006

Mines in the box.. Probably taking it back ... Figured Mario would work. Guess I was wrong

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Well the gamepad is fine when you're playing it. But for a second player they should've supported a pro controller. Who the hell likes to use the wiimote as a normal controller?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

I'm sure this is because they want people to play with the Game Pad. What gimmick does the Game Pad do in Mario?

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Zekhariah

@MB said:

I'm sure this is because they want people to play with the Game Pad. What gimmick does the Game Pad do in Mario?

Some of the menus seem rather touch driven, and gyro input is a consistent option.

My Pro controller has not arrived (or ship from newegg yet), and so I've been using the Gamepad thing. My guess would be that the hold-up is gyro related, unless Nintendo is overtly in love with their menus (you can navigate the in game menus without touch though). Gyro input usage is optional (shoulder buttons instead of shaking), but it could be a situation where the Pro controller was pushed next patch because it was not a 1:1 functional input. It was a bit of a surprise, considering the monster patch the wii U got and smaller one that Mario has already had.

There is a bit off missing function to the UI (even if it overall is a great experience). Like, you can operate some menus and games with the Wii Mote, but not the eShop (which would be tedious, but there is no reason it would be impossible). That said, with all of the neat side function that consoles have now, the touch screen ends up being a surprisingly nice addition that makes working with the UI for the Wii U feel like a much more cohesive experience. Until you step outside of the core package items anyway. For what its worth, it feels like a better controller mario than anything else recently. It actually lives of to those circa early 90s and mid 90s memories of NES and SNES, which the portables and sideways Wii mote basically spoiled.

Edit; To be clear, the Pro controller lacks a gyro (although it does add rumble, which could contribute to the hold back if Nintendo wants to patch that in at the time Pro is supported).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

Do you have Wii Remotes? If so, there you go.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrMcKittrick

@MB said:

here's the best part: Nothing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.