Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. U

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 18, 2012

Mario, Luigi and the rest of the cast return for their HD debut in New Super Mario Bros. U with support for five players in boost mode, a Super Mario World-style world map with secret shortcuts and hidden levels, a brand new challenge mode and Miiverse integration.

Why couldn't all the stages look like this?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

I am currently playing through this game and gotta say it is awesome. One thing that stuck with me as I was going through the Soda Jungle was just how beautiful this level was: 

Why wasn't the whole game done with an artsy aesthetic like this? The gameplay in this game feels different enough from the previous ones but the levels still feel too familiar (and fuck do they need a new soundtrack!). Having them all be like this would have been a great change of pace in my opinion. Do you dudes have a favorite stage in this New Mario U? Would you have liked to see more artsy fartsy stages?
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By I_smell

I'm kind of surprised they haven't done a whole "it looks like a painting" game yet.

And wow Mario's run animation is fucking weird right now.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JazGalaxy

Yeah, A honest to goodness mario game could do some really amazing stuff if they really tried.

The problem is, nintendo hasn't been earnest about making games in at least a decade. I'm not saying they haven't released anything good in a decade, but every Mario game since Mario 64 has been tweaking that concept and every game since Ocarina of Time has been tweaking that concept.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jsnyder82

It actually reminds me of the artwork of Yoshi's Story. Which is the one positive about that game that I can remember.

Actually, now that I think about it, it reminds me more of Yoshi's Island.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.