An interesting perspective on New Super Mario Bros. Wii

#1 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=9118610

If you head to IGN you can read a longer editorial about Mike's views. I personally find them quite fascinating. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -

That's deep.

If ABC News is covering videogames more from an artistic perspective better than actual game websites, then game journalism has let itself slide way down.

#3 Posted by ThomasP (1655 posts) -

Good coverage. He really didn't offer that much insight, though. He just highlighted the major selling points (co-op, vs, production values) for the mass audience. 

I liked his point about the fish synchronizing with the music.

#4 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" That's deep.  If ABC News is covering videogames more from an artistic perspective better than actual game websites, then game journalism has let itself slide way down. "
There aren't game journalists. There are journalists and there are enthusiasts. Journalists cover stories that are interesting, and it doesn't matter where they come from. Enthusiasts cover what they like and nothing else. You don't call the editor of Hot Rod Weekly a car journalist, do you?
#5 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Willy105 said:
" That's deep.  If ABC News is covering videogames more from an artistic perspective better than actual game websites, then game journalism has let itself slide way down. "
There aren't game journalists. There are journalists and there are enthusiasts. Journalists cover stories that are interesting, and it doesn't matter where they come from. Enthusiasts cover what they like and nothing else. You don't call the editor of Hot Rod Weekly a car journalist, do you? "
Yes. Yes I do. He edits a publication about cars that tells about opinions about cars. It's his profession.
#6 Posted by Milkman (16486 posts) -

Nice sex jelly ad before that video...

@Willy105 said:

I fail to see how that was better or even any different from any other video review. Or how that was "deep".
#7 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@Milkman said:
"

@Willy105 said:
I fail to see how that was better or even any different from any other video review. Or how that was "deep". "
Mostly from the way they approached judging the game from an artistic perspective. They took the game seriously.
#8 Posted by DrRandle (1202 posts) -
@Willy105: The deeper coverage can be found at his IGN article here

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.