Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

Finally, A New New Super Mario Bros.

• 64 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    The third and fourth players play as Toads.
    You know, you almost don't need to read this. Because you already innately know what most of this game is. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a new Super Mario Bros. game that plays around with some of the conventions of the series by making it a four-player game. So that adds both a competitive and a cooperative element to what's otherwise the same classic 2D side-scrolling that millions have been enjoying since the dawn of time.

So I'll safely skip the whole "you run to the right, and if you jump on turtles, you can grab their shells" stuff and get right down to business. The game controls like the original NES game, with one button for jumping and one for running and/or fireballs. But if you shake the Wii Remote in the air, you'll perform a spin attack. If you push down while in the air as Super Mario, you'll butt stomp. And if you run up to one of the other players and shake the Remote while holding down the run button, you'll pick that player up. Maybe you're just trying to help by throwing other players across treacherous gaps. Or maybe you're just trying to throw them into pits. The choice is yours. Yoshi also appears in the game, and he can grab other players with his tongue and spit them into bottomless pits, too. Or other players can toss fireballs at Yoshi--if he eats them with his tongue, he can spit them out at enemies.

Suits, obviously, are a big part of the Mario experience. The propeller suit lets you hove and fly for short periods of time, and you get it going by shaking the Remote. I also saw a penguin suit, which lets you slide on your belly and toss ice crystals that freeze enemies into solid blocks. It also appears that you'll be able to turn into a miniature Mario, which is probably used for fitting through teensy gaps or something.

When you die in a multiplayer game, you're returned to the screen in a bubble. Another player has to pop the bubble to release you back into the level. You'll be able to shake the Remote to make the bubble float in the direction of the nearest player. As long as one player is up and running, the level will continue. At the end of each level, scores and performance are tallied to denote which player did the best.

The rest of what I saw felt pretty familiar. You run to the right. There are mushrooms to collect and Piranha Plants to contend with. There is an ice world. You can wall jump. Or, to put it another way, it felt pretty awesome.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    You know, you almost don't need to read this. Because you already innately know what most of this game is. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is a new Super Mario Bros. game that plays around with some of the conventions of the series by making it a four-player game. So that adds both a competitive and a cooperative element to what's otherwise the same classic 2D side-scrolling that millions have been enjoying since the dawn of time.

So I'll safely skip the whole "you run to the right, and if you jump on turtles, you can grab their shells" stuff and get right down to business. The game controls like the original NES game, with one button for jumping and one for running and/or fireballs. But if you shake the Wii Remote in the air, you'll perform a spin attack. If you push down while in the air as Super Mario, you'll butt stomp. And if you run up to one of the other players and shake the Remote while holding down the run button, you'll pick that player up. Maybe you're just trying to help by throwing other players across treacherous gaps. Or maybe you're just trying to throw them into pits. The choice is yours. Yoshi also appears in the game, and he can grab other players with his tongue and spit them into bottomless pits, too. Or other players can toss fireballs at Yoshi--if he eats them with his tongue, he can spit them out at enemies.

Suits, obviously, are a big part of the Mario experience. The propeller suit lets you hove and fly for short periods of time, and you get it going by shaking the Remote. I also saw a penguin suit, which lets you slide on your belly and toss ice crystals that freeze enemies into solid blocks. It also appears that you'll be able to turn into a miniature Mario, which is probably used for fitting through teensy gaps or something.

When you die in a multiplayer game, you're returned to the screen in a bubble. Another player has to pop the bubble to release you back into the level. You'll be able to shake the Remote to make the bubble float in the direction of the nearest player. As long as one player is up and running, the level will continue. At the end of each level, scores and performance are tallied to denote which player did the best.

The rest of what I saw felt pretty familiar. You run to the right. There are mushrooms to collect and Piranha Plants to contend with. There is an ice world. You can wall jump. Or, to put it another way, it felt pretty awesome.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

When I was a kid and noticed that the Super Mario Bros. machine in my local pizza place had a 2 player option, I thought it would be brilliant to have two players going at the same time.  Took about  10+ years, but I'm happy to see it. 

Is it possible to do teamwork in this, or is it basically about screwing the other players over?  Actually, I guess the bubble counts as teamwork (and the lifting), but what if the dude never pops the bubble?

Also, I see they continue in their new tradition of Mario making goofy noises EVERY TIME HE JUMPS.  Killed the remake of one of the old Super Mario games on my GBA because I began hearing "Oh! Mama mia!" in my sleep.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I loved the first NSMB. I was pleasantly surprised how it played so well and mixed up previous Mario sidescroller conventions without relying too heavily on the series past. It never felt like I was playing a rehash of an old Mario game once again, it was its own game. So I am very excited that both this and Galaxy 2 were announced at Nintendo's press conference. It looks like I'll very likely pick up a Wii next year.

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By EndrzGame

It's Mario 4D!!!!!

Looks pretty 'meh' to me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

The last Mario game I played was Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy *blush*.  This video took me right back there.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Kiemoe

Didn't New Super Mario Bros. DS have a two player co-op/ competitive sort of thing?

Dpower94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Dpower94

Was it just me, or did that coin noise seem... like... flat? I mean flat in musical terms, like low. It was kind of annoying and sounded kinda bad. It's mad picky, but it really stood out.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Alex_Murphy

It looks great, and I'm loving the widescreen look of it. But sometimes it looks like it makes the characters seem tiny so they can fit the other three players on there and give them room to move.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By erinfizz

I am really looking forward to this. I loved NSBM on the DS.

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By darkspirit138

This is where thw Wii should be looking at games-wise.

Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Looks kind of floaty, like some flash game and also not digging the elevator music.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

This seems like one of the times where motion controls just don't make sense. I mean shaking the controller to perform certain actions just doesn't make sense. I can't imagine it would add anything to the experience other than annoyance. Motion controls, when they make sense in the context of the game, are great but this sounds like motion controls for the sake of motion controls and therefore pretty pointless.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

I played the crap out of the DS game. I am hoping to play this one.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

It looks like a lotta fun in 4 player, I see lots of potential shenanigans that way. Good level design is paramount for good MP, and what with it being created by the Kyoto team that did Galaxy and Junglebeat, I do have faith.

Great game for Christmas, but nothing more in my eyes, I hated the DS game with a passion, I finished it on the way home from the store, terrible level design, shockingly bad. Everything was in place for a great game, but it was clearly dumbed down.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#15  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Kiemoe: I think it was purely competitive. Not certain though. I think I only played the minigames multiplayer.
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By TheKidNixon

I think the fact that third and fourth players and nameless colored Toads is kind of weird; with the wealth of Mario characters, they couldn't pull two more that they felt would help the flavor of the game? Also, the whole "cooperative/competitive" aspect reminds me a lot of the original Mario Brothers (no, the one before Super Mario Brothers.) So it is neat to see them reach that deep into their roots.

Besides that, this looks fine. Curious to see what price point this comes out at. It'll be a tough sell at full price, even if that's ten dollars less than the "other guys," especially when compared side to side with SMG2.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

while I normally would buy this game, who really wants to spend $50 on a game like this?  It's inevitable that it's going to be $50, and in comparison to things like Conviction, Borderlands, Halo, FF13, etc.  I can't say it comes close to a decent value

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93

I could care less at the price point. I'm buying this, no questions asked.

gamesgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gamesgoblin

As good as I'm sure this is going to be, and despite me already commiting to buy it, I really wish this had been on the DS instead of the wii.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero

"If you jump on turtles"? Turtles, Jeff? They're koopas, man! HUGE DIFFERENCE, BRO!

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Kazona

Haha this looks fun :D

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

Is it just me or does this series NEVER get old?

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dantebk

Am I the only person who was disappointed by this?  I played a few levels at E3 and it didn't seem to work, and I LOVE Super Mario Bros., so it pains me to say that.  You know how in a Mario game when you grab a power-up it freezes for a split-second?  Well when that's happening constantly because four people are running around trying to grab things, it's just annoying.  I hope they smooth that out before it's released.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#24  Edited By jacksukeru

I'm a little worried that I'll acidentally pick people up when running around. When I play Mario games I'm not so much pressing the B button, as I'm letting go of it from time to time to slow down.

I abolutely LOVED "New Super Mario Bros." on the DS. I traded it in, in a special deal when I bought Pokemon Diamond but missed it so much I bought another copy about a year later. I Love it!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

It also has the koopalings and they said there's about 80 levels. Can't wait, the different suits sound really fun.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26  Edited By DrRandle
    @SmugDarkLoser: Uhm, I would love to spend 50 bucks on a great competitive/co-op Mario game that spans over 80 levels and is sure to be hours of fun. What's your problem?
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Turambar

Anyone else think perhaps the choices for the 3rd and 4th characters will be unlockables?

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rinkalicous
    DrRandle said:
    " SmugDarkLoser: Uhm, I would love to spend 50 bucks on a great competitive/co-op Mario game that spans over 80 levels and is sure to be hours of fun. What's your problem? "
    ...50 hours? That seems a bit generous, if you ask me
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

You need sleep.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By TomA

meh, i dont care

Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vlaphor

Personally, I felt that NSMB was a terrible game, but this looks to be fixing the major flaws of it.  As long as they add thing like exploration and the such....the kind of things that make SMB obsolete and Super Mario 3 and World really fun to play.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

love the ds version, but this would be more at home on a handheld or wiiware.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By fox01313

I'm expecting some kotaku piece to pop up later as well as in the news once this is released where violence is broken out among people playing it where a fight gets started on who wants to play Mario. Overall the game itself looks okay but it seems that there might be limits on the scaling in order to keep all 4 people on the screen.  

Sick_Sick_Sick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sick_Sick_Sick

how do Nintendo keep getting away with this?

raikoh05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By raikoh05

this really doesnt need to be on wii, wish it was on DS

Damotello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Damotello
    @Jimbo said:
    " The last Mario game I played was Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy *blush*.  This video took me right back there. "
    +1. That game was awesome.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jimbo
    @Damotello said:
    "
    @Jimbo said:
    " The last Mario game I played was Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy *blush*.  This video took me right back there. "
    +1. That game was awesome. "
    It's funny to think how much gaming has grown and yet that game still sold like 15m copies or something - 20 years ago.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39  Edited By DrRandle
    @Rinkalicous: 50... hours? What? Are we having the same conversation?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus

Great, it looks cool. It's still not what I want from the Super Mario Bros. series, but maybe what I want is too much to ask. If I had a Wii, I'd probably buy it.

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By darkspirit138
    @TooWalrus said:
    " Great, it looks cool. It's still not what I want from the Super Mario Bros. series, but maybe what I want is too much to ask. If I had a Wii, I'd probably buy it. "
    Just outta interest, what do you want from the Super Mario Bros. series?

Also, the only thing to me that looks like this game can be spoilt is by either Wii motion controls, bad level design, or intense online lag.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Al3xand3r

Don't worry about lag, there's no online here :)

The motion controls are just fine as described in the article. The level design remains to be seen but it seems pretty cool.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Linkyshinks

Gamespot E3 Stage Demo

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Al3xand3r

I wish GameSpot had the consideration to at least try and cover some of the booth from the lights around there, Wii games that used the pointer functions just spazzed out when played in their little booth thing (Red Steel 2). Cover those damn "windows" since you have them at all! Unrelated, I know. Game looks good, and I like how they said you can just finish levels straightforwardly or try and reach/find the tougher to get goodies.

Edit: I like how the hidden areas show up. And lol, the Yoshis are awesome, how they can eat and spit out the other players xD

hazzard4123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hazzard4123

I see it still has the fucking awesome NSMB music.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By toowalrus
    @darkspirit138 said:
    "
    @TooWalrus said:
    " Great, it looks cool. It's still not what I want from the Super Mario Bros. series, but maybe what I want is too much to ask. If I had a Wii, I'd probably buy it. "
    Just outta interest, what do you want from the Super Mario Bros. series?Also, the only thing to me that looks like this game can be spoilt is by either Wii motion controls, bad level design, or intense online lag. "
    Personally, I was hoping that they would continue the "New Super Mario Bros." series with ether "New Super Mario Bros. 3" or "New Super Mario World."

The gameboy version of New Super Mario Bros. was great, and if they kept that 2.5d art style, and let you have an over-world and inventory like SMB3, it could be awesome. Not to mention all of the awesome power-ups that game had. We still haven't seen another game with the raccoon tail, or Goomba's Shoe!

Also, a new SMW could be great. With the 2.5D art style, but wearing capes and riding around on Yoshi would be excellent, not to mention my desire to hit the colored switches again.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By Willy105
    @theMcNasty said:
    " Thank LittleBigPlanet. "
    Ummm....ok. Why?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TwoOneFive

im still mind-blown by Conan O'Brien's backdrop!

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pandashake

Looks like a fun multiplayer game. Seems like you can carry others, I wonder if you can throw them into death as well lol

Duckbutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Duckbutter

that guy on GT said the graphics suck bad like its a DS game all blowed up for the Wii :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.