Got It FO free ,from gamestop.

#1 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -

Yea i went into my local gamestop to pick up a xbox live headset being as my dog thought my old one would be a nice treat. Paid the overpriced 19.99 for  the headset  and when i got home realized i had a copy of  new super mario bros wii  in my bag. Im gonna go pop it in to see if gamestop is giving away a demo with all purchases or if i really got the full game ........For  Free.

#2 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Stealing?

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11866 posts) -

Strange.

#4 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -

nah not at all i can see how you might take it like that but the clerk must have put it in the bag accidentally (they where really busy),i should have worded it better. I would feel bad stealing even if it is gamestop who robs the customer on a daily basis.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Ha, lucky you. Normally I'd suggest taking it back... but it's gamestop, so I'm going to turn my head.

#6 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -

Take it back, someone could lose their job over that.

#7 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Did you get a headset?

#8 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

Taking it back could get you 25% on a trade in! Plus you know, sleeping at night, and a clear conscious, and supporting Nintendo?

#9 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -

Yea i got my headset, guess ill take it back ,maybe ill get a reward ..or at leas some good karma. maybe playing a couple levels wouldn't hurt. jk

#10 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

On one hand...it's GameStop. 

On the other hand...you'd be a downright douchebag for not taking it back. 

The decision is yours.

#11 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -
@jakob187: lol ,downright douchebag i like your phrasing ,yea im gonna take it back idk how there gonna react ,they might accuse me of stealing.
#12 Edited by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:

" Take it back, someone could lose their job over that. "

MAYYYYYYBE, but I dunno. It's not ethical to keep it. A local Gamers once returned a fixed Xbox to me but left Spiderman 2 in the disk drive. As most of you hopefully know, that game was suh-weeeet. Anyway, much to my chagrin, my dad made me take it back.

So... play it, beat it, take it back?
#13 Edited by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -
@mikeeegeee said:

" @Fallen189 said:

" Take it back, someone could lose their job over that. "

MAYYYYYYBE, but I dunno. It's not ethical to keep it. A local Gamers once returned a fixed Xbox to me but left Spiderman 2 in the disk drive. As most of you hopefully know, that game was suh-weeeet. Anyway, much to my chagrin, my dad made me take it back.  So... play it, beat it, take it back? "
I was thinking about stock discrepancy, it doesn't take much to lose a job i'm afraid.
#14 Posted by mracoon (4959 posts) -

Finish it first then give it back.

#15 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

I say keep the damn game.  That happened to me once at McDonalds.  Went with my brother and his girlfriend and we ended up getting our food plus some free food.  It was pretty sweet.

#16 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" I say keep the damn game.  That happened to me once at McDonalds.  Went with my brother and his girlfriend and we ended up getting our food plus some free food.  It was pretty sweet. "
That happens to everyone all the time at McDonalds..It's either missing 2 out of 4 straws or get 2 extra fries. :P
#17 Edited by Jeust (10481 posts) -
@cicatriz:  

i just hope they won't scold yopu instead, as taking the righteous pose. 

Or worse...
#18 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

Please inform us on how this turns out, I am very interested.

#19 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Im gonna be honest here, I would keep it

#20 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@cicatriz said:

" Yea i got my headset, guess ill take it back ,maybe ill get a reward ..or at leas some good karma. maybe playing a couple levels wouldn't hurt. jk "

Screw karma . Play that shit 

This reminds me of this eminem song 

#21 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -

i just phoned my uncle who is a cop he said it will be a lot more trouble than its worth to bring it back especially since i dont have a receipt proving that i purchased it  i.e because i didnt. Chances are a clerks not going to admit that he did it (that is if he even realized yet) because he could loose his job giving away a new release big seller. Also i could possibly be arrested but that depends on how crazy the store manager is . So i think this is a paradox....

#22 Edited by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

Just for anyone that cares, knowingly keeping something of value to another party, without their consent, whether it was purposeful or accidental, is legally considered stealing. The moment you consciously realize you got something for free that wasn't supposed to be free, without making any reasonable attempt to resolve the issue, it becomes theft. 

That's the letter of the law. No one's going to prosecute you or track you down over a Mario game though. Still, I'd totally take it back, but that's just me.

#23 Posted by ajamafalous (11866 posts) -

I'd keep it if it happened to me.

#24 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -
@cicatriz said:
" i just phoned my uncle who is a cop he said it will be a lot more trouble than its worth to bring it back especially since i dont have a receipt proving that i purchased it  i.e because i didnt. Chances are a clerks not going to admit that he did it (that is if he even realized yet) because he could loose his job giving away a new release big seller. Also i could possibly be arrested but that depends on how crazy the store manager is . So i think this is a paradox.... "
Wouldn't the fact that you're bringing it back negate everything bad? Stealing and then bringing it back is... I don't even know
#25 Posted by CarolinaFan3515 (195 posts) -

It makes me all warm and squishy inside knowing that most of you would take the honest man's route and return the game.  If that happened to me, I honestly don't know what I'd do.  I'd either return it because I don't have a Wii or go out and buy one so I could play it.  Either way it'd be a win/win for Gamestop since a returned game can't be sold as new and they'd make 100% profit without having to pay the trade-in value, or they would be able to sell a high dollar system.  Hmmm.......... With Christmas coming up that could also provide for a great gift.

#26 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -
@cicatriz said:
" i just phoned my uncle who is a cop he said it will be a lot more trouble than its worth to bring it back especially since i dont have a receipt proving that i purchased it  i.e because i didnt. Chances are a clerks not going to admit that he did it (that is if he even realized yet) because he could loose his job giving away a new release big seller. Also i could possibly be arrested but that depends on how crazy the store manager is . So i think this is a paradox.... "
It's an honest mistake. No one will prosecute you, or hassle you, and no one will lose their job. Just bring it back, if that's what you want to do, and say, hey, this was in my bag when I bought something earlier today. Then leave. You're not getting any reward out of it, so don't expect any. Either that, or keep it. You'll have to use your own moral judgement, but it's not going to be any hassle, unless you're expecting something back.
#27 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -
and mario used to bring such happy memories to mind ,now its filled with theft and law.
#28 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

If I were you I'd give it back. Doesn't matter if its Gamestop, giving it back is the right thing to do. I have serious guilt issues so I couldn't be able to play that game knowing that I didn't pay for it.

#29 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -
@cicatriz said:
" and mario used to bring such happy memories to mind ,now its filled with theft and law. "
Well. if you like the game, and want to keep it with a clear conscious, go back with your receipt, and say, I just noticed I wasn't charged for this when I was in earlier. Then pay, and leave.
#30 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -
@Fbomb: Sounds like the best idea. Hopefully i dont wind up in jail over a mario game.
#31 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

Fuck taking it back, it's not your fault and it isn't your responsibility to go out of your way to take it back.  They should hire competent staff.

#32 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -
  1. Leave it on the ground right outside the store.
  2. Knock on the door really loud.
  3. Run.
#33 Posted by Soap (3566 posts) -

Keep it, like you said... if your risking getting in trouble for doing the honest thing, then just don't.

#34 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero: True.  :P
#35 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

screw it keep the game they aren't going to welcome you back with loving hands they are going to dump the blame on you

#36 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Huh...interesting. I'd probably end up taking it back, but on the other hand, I wouldn't mind a free game.

#37 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Fuck 'em, keep it.

#38 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

Did you take it back? I'd like an update on this hot scoop.

#39 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Umm....don't take my advice that seriously...but keep it. It may be more trouble than it is worth to return it and, hey, it's another Mario game!! Win win...?

#40 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

I'd keep it. Gamestop doesn't care about you. Why should you care about them? :)
#41 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -

Yea after the advice given by my uncle who is a cop, some google searches, and a collective of different types of answers from the GB community i decided to keep the game. If i noticed it when i was in the parking lot or still in the store  it would be a different story but since i drove home and had the game for said number of hours. It would be a mess in the long run, That would end up with me looking like the bad guy when honestly i did nothing wrong. So.....topic closed? 

#42 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

I always check my bag before I leave the store.  If I had a Wii I would definitely buy it, so maybe you should go pay for it.

#43 Posted by cicatriz (25 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin: Yea ill be double checking my bag from now on.
#44 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4888 posts) -
@cicatriz said:
" Yea i got my headset, guess ill take it back ,maybe ill get a reward ..or at leas some good karma. maybe playing a couple levels wouldn't hurt. jk "
KARMA IS A JOKE. 

Remember that before you take it back.
#45 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -

What are you crazy!?

Keep that! it`s not everyday you get a new game for FREEEEE! :P

#46 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

Dude, who cares. Just keep it. Lucky you.

#47 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@cicatriz said:
" @jakob187: lol ,downright douchebag i like your phrasing ,yea im gonna take it back idk how there gonna react ,they might accuse me of stealing. "
They won't. They'll probably really appreciate your honesty, and then you'd feel better about it too. If you think about it, the NSMB in your bag was probably supposed to go to someone else who surely had a pretty unpleasant experience when they found out it was missing.
#48 Posted by BaconGames (3302 posts) -

It all depends how long you've had it for.  If you had that thing for a week and nothing blew itself up, you're fine.  One copy of the game isn't going to kill anyone when its a legitimate mistake.  If a clerk bags you something by accident, as a business you get off with saying they gave it to you.  However since the business technically experienced a theft they feel like something must be done, either returning the product, someone's pay getting docked, or someone getting fired.  I can see both sides to it really, but it would be best to return it.  What can they do to you for being the good guy?

#49 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1593 posts) -

I'm a bit of a douche, so I almost definitely would have kept it. I have eaten food that I was mistakenly not charged for, and I have kept change for a $20 when I paid with a $5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.