Is this how mario controls?

#1 Edited by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -

Hi duders, I recently subscribed to a rental service (kin to Gamefly in Europe) and have started to play games that interest me, but haven't seemed like worth the money. My most recent game is New Super Mario Bros. Wii and I played maybe the first 10 levels and just sent it back. The controls feel absolutely terrible to me. Horrendous.

Needless to say I'm not a Nintendo guy, I didn't have one when I grew up and Wii is my only Nintendo console I have owned. I absolutely loved the hell out of the Galaxy games. Pretty much the only games on the Wii I have really enjoyed. Also I adored Rayman: Origins which I played not so long ago. My question really is, do the old school Mario games control like Bros. Wii?

This is obviously a taste thing and the controls have there place, but I refuse to do any platforming with them. They have that super sticky feel like you want to go some direction and you have to wait for it to happen. You have to gain you momentum to go for jumps and I'm never really feel sure about it. Mario is also a slow ass motherfucker in this game. Rayman had such crisp controls you could react in an instant and even change your mind afterwards. If the controls are faithful to the older ones and you have played them religiously I bet you just know how it works and you don't even think about it. As a newcomer it just felt frustratingly random.

The shaking of the controller was also terrible, but obviously that's a new thing. It worked well enough in the Galaxy games since you had your movement controls on the other hand. Also it's I feel like it's easier to just flick your wrist than try to shake a controller you are holding with both hands. Super awkward. Apart from those three games I'm no platforming aficionado, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

tl;dr: I don't like how this game controls, do the old school 2D Mario games feel the same?

Edit: God damn I wrote Mario's name without a capital letter... That's going to bug the hell out of me.

#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

The old school games are less floaty and skiddy, you tend to sail across the sky in the New Mario Bros games I've found while the older 2d's give you more control over your direction and feel less as if you're on the moon.

#3 Posted by Slag (3365 posts) -

I just finished New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Now granted I'm a Mario fan so I liked it.

But I do think the controls compared to most Marios were pretty loose which I going to guess was meant to accommodate the shaking of the Wiimote jumps. (which btw I just flicked my wrist to do, You don't have to use both hands to make it happen). Older Mario games feel more responsive, but still do have a lot that probably upset. Namely the need to maintain high speed to make the very best jumps.

To me the Wii mote is the source of the problem and why I liked the DS New Super Mario game better. I find the Wiimote to be really uncomfortable in games like that. The buttons are so small and the shape of the controller so odd it doesn't take long for it too hurt in my hands since I end up mashing it really hard since I'm not sure hitting the buttons square on. I ended missing the buttons on occasion due to my hand size, which I find frustrating.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2938 posts) -

I think most of the 2D Marios feel pretty similar. Were you using the run button?

#5 Edited by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

Personally I like the old games way better.

Give it a try for yourself @Zaccheus: http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NES-UM

EDIT: I changed the link to SMB3 since i think it feels a bit better than the first one

#6 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Currently playing through All Stars, so I am in a good position here. The controls in those games are just spot on, despite not being to turn around while jumping in the first one you can still easily pull of jumps that look really tough.

#7 Posted by YI_Orange (1075 posts) -

Not sure I know exactly what you're talking about with that specific game. Then again, I played through it four player which was fucked in a totally different way. Last time I played an older Mario game though, the controls left a lot to be desired for me. Something felt weird about them.

Super Meat Boy totally has the best platforming controls around.

#8 Posted by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -

@CosmicBatman said:

Give it a try for yourself @Zaccheus: http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NIN-SM

Well after a brief test the running feels pretty much the same, but the jumping seems way better. There is still something odd about the whole thing... I could probably get a handle on it after some time, but I think Rayman just ruined it for me. I picked that game up and it was perfect instantly. I guess I just expected the same. There is definitely some of that skidding in the Galaxy games, but I guess the 3D games don't demand the same kind of precision. Also I love Super Meat Boy, but that's kind of in a league of it's own when it comes to control.

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Zaccheus said:

@CosmicBatman said:

Give it a try for yourself @Zaccheus: http://www.virtualnes.com/play/?id=NIN-SM

Well after a brief test the running feels pretty much the same, but the jumping seems way better. There is still something odd about the whole thing... I could probably get a handle on it after some time, but I think Rayman just ruined it for me. I picked that game up and it was perfect instantly. I guess I just expected the same. There is definitely some of that skidding in the Galaxy games, but I guess the 3D games don't demand the same kind of precision. Also I love Super Meat Boy, but that's kind of in a league of it's own when it comes to control.

I'm kinda like you, but i hate the Galaxy games.
#10 Posted by Tobiass (150 posts) -

yeah it's what ruined the new mario games for me.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Hizang: That's what I tried to say, you can't control your jumps and that's a strange thing to experience when you play the older Mario's after the newer and you find yourself diving into a hole with 40mph.
#12 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: I can't comment on the newer 2D Mario ones, never really played any of them.

#13 Posted by Dixavd (1145 posts) -

I'm not a Mario fan, always enjoyed Sonic much more, but I personally loved New Super Mario Bros. Wii even though I am absolutely abysmal at that game (seriously, I am horrendously bad at that game). I guess I would say I had problems with the controlls since the way it was designed was just difficult for me - but I think the level design was fantastic in that game and made me continue to want to continue to play even though I would consistently die. I would say that the controlls aren't bad, they just chose a specific design choice for the floatiness that some will find difficult to controll (like for me) or just not responsive as expected; but it isn't bad, it just is.

#14 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

I'm alright with the controls but I don't like the art style at all.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11063 posts) -

I do wish they would modernize Mario's controls, but (on the DS version at least) they feel pretty good.

Are you absolutely certain, without a shadow of a doubt, that you've used the run button? Because while using the run button, Mario isn't slow at all.

#16 Posted by StrainedEyes (1313 posts) -

You have a Wii... go spend the couple bucks to buy the original games on VC. You owe it to yourself as a gamer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.