Mario has lost his hat!

#1 Posted by laserfrog (154 posts) -

I've been playing the game today and I just noticed recently that Mario has no hat on. It plays the animation of him taking his hat off and wiping his head but his hat is gone! It makes me feel nervous when he has no hat, I don't like seeing his messy hair, he could have atleast comed it the messy man. Has this happened to anyone else?

#2 Posted by jeff4moso (211 posts) -
@laserfrog:
Pretty sure that happens when you get 99 lives.
#3 Posted by TooWalrus (12976 posts) -

Wow, that's one sweet easter egg. I remember you could loose your hat in Mario 64, god damn giant snowman!

#4 Posted by laserfrog (154 posts) -

Seems you're correct, lost a life and his hat came back, gained one and once I'd completed the level his hat went again.

#5 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

Lol that's weird that they put that in the game.

#6 Posted by jeff4moso (211 posts) -
@TooWalrus:
There were a couple places you could lose your hat in that game.  That sand level in the basement, the vulture would steal it.  I think there was at least one other place too, but I don't remember.
#7 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@chicubs223420 said:
" @TooWalrus: There were a couple places you could lose your hat in that game.  That sand level in the basement, the vulture would steal it.  I think there was at least one other place too, but I don't remember. "
I think the monkey stole it on that annoying mountain level.
#8 Posted by jeff4moso (211 posts) -
@Scooper:
Yep, that's totally right.  I remember it so vividly now.  That was probably the most annoying way to lose your hat.
#9 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@chicubs223420 said:
" @Scooper: Yep, that's totally right.  I remember it so vividly now.  That was probably the most annoying way to lose your hat. "
The most annoying level, too. You make 1 wrong step and you fall all the way to the bottom and it takes ages to get back up again.
#10 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -

The snowman was not the main source for hat loss in my playthrough of Mario 64. The monkey from the mountain and that condor from the desert was far more annoying.

#11 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Didn't the rabbit also steal your hat?

#12 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

That stupid vulture in that desert/pyramid level in Super Mario 64 stole my hat once.  Since I was a kid, I was too scared to go back.  Got it back years later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.