Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

New NSMB Wii Videos

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

From the official website (?). That sure looks like Super Mario to me, more than any previous trailers :-)

And a  great Miyamoto interview with some pretty good and interesting info (difficulty, super guide, stuff).

The intro.

Trailer 1
    Trailer 2
    Other websites should have some clips too. Enjoy.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Awesome.  I'm so excited for this game.  It's going to rock.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By ZombiePie

It's scary how nostalgic this game is making me...This will probably be a week one purchase for me, I'm just completely sold on everything about this game.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

That gameplay looks like awesome fun, I see all the hallmarks of a game with Nintendo magic in abundance, the kind that the likes of LBP can only dream of.   

It's going to play like a dream in the multi-player setting, you only have to look at it to see that...especially given the fact you can either aid or annoy others while racking up points.

I cannot fucking wait till next month, this looks to be another truly great Mario game, one that deserves pride and place alongside Galaxy and the other great Mario games in my collection. 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Lets just say  I can wait for Super Mario Galaxy 2 a lot easier now.   

This game looks fucking awesome :)

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio

Man, this looks so effing great. New console Super Mario Bros, new console Contra, new console Castlevania.... Yes!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I really wish the game had less remixes of the NSMB theme and more variety, at least like Galaxy.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Hilbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hilbert

The applause thingy is great.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Hilbert said:

" The applause thingy is great. "

Yeah I like that also, it's a neat touch. 

@Al3xand3r said:

" And a  great Miyamoto interview with some pretty good and interesting info (difficulty, super guide, stuff).   "

I will definitely be reading that interview later at lunchtime.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Marzy

I'm very disappointed with the music, it's the same as the DS's, but with some minor changes to the style to fit each level and it's all the same. I can imagine how repetitive that would become. It comes across as being very lazy, to me. I really hope it's not the same case for Super Mario Galaxy 2, otherwise I'll be extremly disapointed. I want to see new music produced for it.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but there's not much that makes this stand out, to me. I would have liked to have seen a better visual style, new music, online co-op, a level creator and more/better characters.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Marzy said:

" I'm very disappointed with the music, it's the same as the DS's, but with some minor changes to the style to fit each level and it's all the same. I can imagine how repetitive that would become. It comes across as being very lazy, to me. I really hope it's not the same case for Super Mario Galaxy 2, otherwise I'll be extremly disapointed. I want to see new music produced for it. Maybe I'm being too critical, but there's not much that makes this stand out, to me. I would have liked to have seen a better visual style, new music, online co-op, a level creator and more/better characters. "

I feel that way about the DS game... Visually, this product is being kept in line with the DS version, just as AC Wii was, but at least here Miyamoto's hand is clearly evident.  

No way is that going to happen to Galaxy, that's totally impossible in my eyes. I expect Galaxy 2 to improve upon the originals score, it may have remixes, but so what. there's no way I am saying no to remixes of my favourite tracks *Gusty Garden*. Besides, this is nothing new in the Mario series. 

Those newer looking levels may have entirely new musical arrangements anyway.  On another note, I look forward to the day Ninbtendo apply orchestral scores to 2D platformers.  

I love games that are all about the points, it's oldschool and cool..
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marzy
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Marzy said:

" I'm very disappointed with the music, it's the same as the DS's, but with some minor changes to the style to fit each level and it's all the same. I can imagine how repetitive that would become. It comes across as being very lazy, to me. I really hope it's not the same case for Super Mario Galaxy 2, otherwise I'll be extremly disapointed. I want to see new music produced for it. Maybe I'm being too critical, but there's not much that makes this stand out, to me. I would have liked to have seen a better visual style, new music, online co-op, a level creator and more/better characters. "

I feel that way about the DS game..This product is being kept in line with the DS version, just as AC Wii was, but at least here Miyamoto's hand is clearly evident.   No way is that going to happen to Galaxy, that's totally impossible in my eyes. I expect Galaxy 2 to improve upon the originals score, it may have remixes, but so what. there's   no way I am saying no to remixes of my favourite tracks *Gusty Garden*. Besides, this is nothing new in the Mario series.  Those newer looking levels may have entirely new musical arrangements anyway.    On another note, I look forward to the day Ninbtendo apply orchestral scores to 2D platformers.    I love games that are all about the points, it's oldschool and cool.. "

I wouldn't mind some remixes, preferably 'Wind Garden' and 'Hells Prominence' (I forgot to write that in my original post. sorry). If the original tracks are ripped straight from the game though, it would make it feel lazy to me.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marzy

That's the best part I've seen of the game so far. It brings back childhood memories with Super Mario World.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks

Sweet stuff, looking forward to November 20th.

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShadowKing7

Seeing that trailer with the super skills...my Mario fandom is pumping up.  I was skeptical of this but from the looks of the videos, it looks like a sweet old school type platformer with modern twists thrown in, and I definitely love my platformers.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Willy105

If I was raised around 2D Mario, this game would give me a heart attack. It's like everything that was good about the old 2D Mario games and making it better. 

However, I am more of a 3 Mario guy. But if the reviews truly are as huge as people are expecting, I might bite.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

The reviews probably won't be "huge" outside Nintendo oriented publications. You shouldn't base purchases on reviews though.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Willy105

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dutch42

that's enough to make me consider buying a wii.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

That's odd, Destructoid removed that video, so it doesn't appear any more - I deleted my above post : / 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm still more excited about Mario Galaxy 2, the multiplayer feature feels a little too gimmicky here and playing co-operatively/competively at the same time is hardly anything new, yet it seems to be something Nintendo has only just grasped.  Don't get me wrong, the game looks great, I love how it feels a lot more like Mario 3 this time around and seems to actually have some level of challenge return.  Not sure I'll be getting it day one, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

It also follows the tradition of the Gamecube Mario games, by having a fancy coloured box  :)

No Caption Provided
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Willy105

Where I lived, the Gamecube Mario games did not have colored boxes. No games had that.

Also:

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Willy105 said:

" Where I lived, the Gamecube Mario games did not have colored boxes. No games had that. "

Perhaps it was just in Europe. 
    As opposed to the standard black..

No Caption Provided
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

My Sunshine box is black.  

Nintendo have said the colour of the box is to make it stand out on the shelves. It's already on the shelves in Japan, in dummy boxes, even though Japan get the game in December. The dummy boxes detail some of the features including Super Guide: 

No Caption Provided
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho

I don't know how I feel about the Koopa Kids working in tandem (or even for) Bowser Jr. 
    That's right, I'm complaining about the story canon in a sidescrolling Mario game. Well not really, but fuck Bowser Jr.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Willy105
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" Where I lived, the Gamecube Mario games did not have colored boxes. No games had that. "

Perhaps it was just in Europe. 
    As opposed to the standard black..

No Caption Provided
    "
    Neat!

@ryanwho said:
    " I don't know how I feel about the Koopa Kids working in tandem (or even for) Bowser Jr. That's right, I'm complaining about the story canon in a sidescrolling Mario game. Well not really, but fuck Bowser Jr. "

What's wrong with Bowser Jr? Sure he's whiny, but he has been able to do more stuff than the other kids.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Al3xand3r

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.