New Super Mario Bros Wii - Games Com Gameplay

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Here lies 4 minutes of gameplay footage from New Super Mario Bros Wii, taken at this years Games Com : 

#2 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

They suck, or it's tough, or a little bit of both. Nice level.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

I want this game really bad.  :(

#4 Posted by Cadmus (290 posts) -

I still don't understand why the additional characters are just reskinned toads.  Wasn't toad just one person?  Maybe I'm wrong but just seems so lazy.  They're so many more interesting characters in the mario universe than toad.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13221 posts) -

I think I've said this before, but instead of New Super Bros. Wii, I wish that Nintendo would make a New Super Mario Bros. THREE, for the DS. We haven't seen the raccoon tail for decades, man...

#6 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Nice

#7 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

180 bucks for 2 remotes? What?

#8 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -
@dcpc10 said:
-Why does the game freeze up everytime a player dies? =\ It makes it seem like the game is lagging and thus make the game unplayable if you had a friend that sucked really bad at mario games xD "

You're not the first person I've seen with that concern, and it bothers me as well. Hopefully this is something they will remove, because it clearly adds nothing to the experience except to slow everything down. 

Let's hope that this isn't the final build, though I'll definitely get the game regardless.
#9 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

This game is going to be dope! The first game was my first DS title. :)

#10 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

1. Good to see there are proper difficult platforming levels
2. The player death lag needs to go. Now. This little delay is an instant -1 for every review. What the hell?
3. The more I see of this game, the less excuse there is for no online play. An extremely low number of players will be able to play this in 4-player-mode. Fuck you, Nintendo, for not including something which is a standard, which ups quality and replay value, and what should be extremely easy to implement in such a game. Fuck you.

#11 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -
@dcpc10 said:
"@Al3xand3r said:

" 180 bucks for 2 remotes? What? "

Maybe around 140-160 bucks would be more exact :P But anyways, I'm talkin CDN money here. Also: I haven't got a wii mote since early 2008, so the prices could've easily changed from then to now. "

Its only 30 bucks, US, even if its slightly more there, it still doesnt add up, but whatever..
#12 Posted by Blair (2508 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
" @dcpc10 said:
"@Al3xand3r said:

" 180 bucks for 2 remotes? What? "

Maybe around 140-160 bucks would be more exact :P But anyways, I'm talkin CDN money here. Also: I haven't got a wii mote since early 2008, so the prices could've easily changed from then to now. "
Its only 30 bucks, US, even if its slightly more there, it still doesnt add up, but whatever.. "
It's 45 dollars in Canada for a Wii Remote, so two would be $90, not $140.
#13 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Guys, have you never played a Super Mario game before? Seriously, go play one, die, and see if the game freezes upon death impact.

#14 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Doesn't mean it should be left in a multi player game if it breaks the flow. But perhaps it's something you get used to.

#15 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

I swear they are playing like such assholes in the footage.

#16 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The left/right movement looks annoyingly slow.  Probably to help keep players on the same screen, but I'd rather they'd not done that...

#17 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

That looks fantastic. If only it had online, then it would be GOTY.
#18 Edited by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

You are doing the job that the GB staff isn't... lol. Good work. 

Also... not so great music...

#19 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

Looks sweet!  However, it'll prolly be super easy like the DS version though... and beat it on the first day. 

#20 Edited by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -
@Cadmus: Toads are actually one of the races in mushroom kingdom, so there are children, women, etc. 

As for the game it looks good, but i'm waiting for Super Mario Galaxy 2.
#21 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Confirmed 27th of November release in Europe. 

#22 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

I just wonder how it will sell in comparison to the DS game and to Super Mario Galaxy. That should be interesting to see, if the trends of the two systems are similar, and if people prefer 2D or 3D Mario (assuming the flaws of the DS game have been resolved) on a system with both.

I won't be getting it at launch myself, too many other Wii games to get, but I will down the line, as long as it ends up better than the DS game.

#23 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I'd take a one-player 2D mario game, but I just don't really see myself buying this. Played it at PAX, and it just didn't feel all that special to me, even with four players. 

#24 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

This game just doesn't do anything for me.  I can't even see why they want to make another super mario bros game.  They honestly need to make a new Zelda for the DS.

#25 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Um? Spirit Tracks... And maybe it doesn't do anything for you but it did do things for 20 million people who bought the DS NSMB.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.