New Super Mario Bros. Wii Reviews

#1 Edited by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

With New Super Mario Bros. Wii on the horizon, the reviews are starting to roll in.  As of this posting, the game has a current score of 86 on Metacritic, which is solid.  I'm very surprised that 1up gave the game a perfect score but, that makes me happy to see the game receiving good reviews.  Along with the written reviews, there are video reviews.  Here are the video reviews from IGN and Gamespot.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS IN THE GT VIDEO REVIEW!!

With only 2 days for it's release date here in the USA, I just keep getting more and more excited about the game.  COME ON SUNDAY!  HURRY UP!!

Anyone else picking this game up besides me on Sunday?

EDIT:  Since Kotaku's reviews don't get posted on Meticritic, I thought I would post it here.  LINK

EDIT 2:  Added video review from Destructiod (written review) and GameTrailers.  Joystiq has also posted their review HERE.

#2 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

Oh god I hate those kinds of Gamespot review. Where they try to be funny but it just ends up being embarrassing.

Anyways I am really forward to this game! Co-op is gonna be awesome!

#3 Posted by mracoon (4914 posts) -

This game makes me want to get a Wii. I already love Mario and now I can play it co-op, that just sounds like the most amazing thing ever.

#4 Posted by ShadowKing7 (753 posts) -

I'm definitely gonna pick this up Sunday!  Nice to hear good things about it.
#5 Posted by bonbolapti (1590 posts) -

that ign guy seemed a little bit snobby.

#6 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -
@bonbolapti said:
"

"
It's IGN. That's how everybody there is.
#7 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -
@bonbolapti said:
"

"
Was thinking the same thing.
#8 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

That Gamespot review is lame, that guy totally misses the point of the bubble, and how it prevents one of the criticisms he levels. Is that the official Gamespot review or just the AU review? 

#9 Posted by Willy105 (4686 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" That Gamespot review is lame, that guy totally misses the point of the bubble, and how it prevents one of the criticisms he levels. Is that the offical Gamespot review or just the AU review?  "
Unlike IGN, Gamespot only ever reviews once, so it's official.
#10 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
" That Gamespot review is lame, that guy totally misses the point of the bubble, and how it prevents one of the criticisms he levels. Is that the offical Gamespot review or just the AU review?  "
Unlike IGN, Gamespot only ever reviews once, so it's official. "
Yeah.  Either way, 8.5 is still a great score.
#11 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
Yeah.  Either way, 8.5 is still a great score. "

Gamespot are in desperate times right now, I hear Guy Cocker is reviewing games for them now...
#12 Posted by dbz1995 (4786 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
Yeah.  Either way, 8.5 is still a great score. "
  Gamespot are in desperate times right now, I hear Guy Cocker is reviewing games for them now... "
I didn't like many of the point that Gamespot duder said. Personally, I like the sounds made-it make it seem more Mario-y, just a little more up-to-date. What Linkyshinks said is correct as well.

This looks like a frickin' awesome game-if only I had a Wii D:
#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -
@dbz1995: They are only $200 now.  Well, in the USA they are.
#14 Posted by dbz1995 (4786 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @dbz1995: They are only $200 now.  Well, in the USA they are. "
Well, round here in the UK they are around £180-too much for me. D:
#15 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6654 posts) -
@Willy105 said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
Is that a poke at them re-reviewing MW2 and changing it from a 8.5 to a 9.0?
#16 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Willy105 said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
Is that a poke at them re-reviewing MW2 and changing it from a 8.5 to a 9.0? "
I think he is referring to the different reviews from IGN Australia and IGN UK and IGN US.
#17 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
#18 Posted by Laticsfan (596 posts) -

Looks good, unfotunatly I have no plans on buying a Wii, however I'll pick up the DS version ........ when I eventually get one.

#19 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

It looks like hectic fun. But I'll just wait until a price drop or till I find a used copy. 

#20 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -

Yes this looks fantastic. Loved NSMB on the DS and this just looks like so much fun. Maybe will have to finally get a Wii.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Added a link to the Kotaku review in the original post.  Check it out!

#22 Posted by damnboyadvance (4054 posts) -

Do you know how happy I am to see this? I thought it wouldn't be that good, but to see that it's actually pretty good is just... well it makes me feel great to have a Wii! I thought this would only be a rent, but it appears to be a bit more. Nintendo, I'm impressed.

#23 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -
@damnboyadvance said:
" Do you know how happy I am to see this? I thought it wouldn't be that good, but to see that it's actually pretty good is just... well it makes me feel great to have a Wii! I thought this would only be a rent, but it appears to be a bit more. Nintendo, I'm impressed. "
I'm on the same boat with you.  While I figured the game was going to be solid, I didn't expect it to receive all this praise.  I hope Giant Bomb gives it a good score as well.  If not, I'm still buying it anyways.
#24 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

Guys a heads up...
Frys is selling the game for 40 bucks launch, so if you live close by you can get it there.  Or, if you prefer just go to a place that price matches.  Definitely picking this up.

#25 Posted by Symphony (1913 posts) -
@Twilight said:
" @bonbolapti said:
"

"
Was thinking the same thing. "
Not sure how he came across as snobby. Maybe I'm just more familiar with him, as I listen to a few of their podcasts that he makes appearances on and he's not a snob on those. I think he covered all the bases, made valid critiques and ultimately got the point across that the game is very good.
#26 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" Guys a heads up... Frys is selling the game for 40 bucks launch, so if you live close by you can get it there.  Or, if you prefer just go to a place that price matches.  Definitely picking this up. "
If I only had a Frys here.  :(
#27 Posted by Blair (2471 posts) -

Jeez, I cannot wait.

#28 Posted by JJOR64 (18782 posts) -

Added the GT and Destructiod video reviews and linked Joystiq's written review.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.