Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

No midnight launch for NSMBW... Really?

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

I find it really hard to believe that a video game that is supposed to be the spiritual successor of  games like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World can't generate enough hype to warrant a midnight launch event.  Some friends and I have been looking all over for a place that will sell the game tonight, but the closest thing we found is that gamestop is opening an hour early (ooh, wow).  Maybe I missed something, but when did Super Mario become irrelevant?  It is currently 12:02 and I'm Mario-less.  Sometimes video game retail really doesn't make since to me.  You know, it's probably better this way anyways, because I'll be nice and rested for some old-school platforming in the morning.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Supposedly its only the casual gamers that will get excited for the game. I think that GBs should put that theory to rest, but thats just me 

I won't be buying the game for some time myself. I've got too much other stuff to play, and there will be a billion copies for 10 bucks a piece in a year or two

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't think Nintendo really does this with their games. Over here, not even their consoles have midnight launches.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire
    @AgentJ:  But, I've never associated a Super Mario Bros. game as being a "casual" game.  If you really dig down and look at it, this industry wouldn't exist in the form that it is today without Super Mario Brothers.  Idk, it seems weird that a traditional style Mario game doesn't seem to matter anymore, and thats really sad to me because that was a big part of my childhood.
    Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tirrandir

Walmart's got them, assuming you have a 24 hour one near you.  I just finished world one, gonna try to pace it so I don't blow through in a day.  Playing with my little brother (of 19, who didn't grow up on Mario like I did) the game is an absolute blast.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire
    @Tirrandir: "Sometime next week" is what walmart told me here in peoria, AZ...
    Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tirrandir
    @super_mario_john: That's sad.  Here in Omaha, NE, which isn't exactly a big, coastal city, they had a box of 'em.  I did ask the nerdiest lookin' dude in electronics for them.  Sunday release always means street date, so anyone who was going to have them tomorrow has them tonight.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " I don't think Nintendo really does this with their games. Over here, not even their consoles have midnight launches. "
    It's really more up to Gamestop or other retailers to do it, but thats besides the point (Brawl and Twilight Princess both got midnight launches) 

@super_mario_john said:
    " @AgentJ:  But, I've never associated a Super Mario Bros. game as being a "casual" game.  If you really dig down and look at it, this industry wouldn't exist in the form that it is today without Super Mario Brothers.  Idk, it seems weird that a traditional style Mario game doesn't seem to matter anymore, and thats really sad to me because that was a big part of my childhood. "
    In this generation, pretty much anything involving the Wii is thought of as casual, and that is doubly true when you talk about Mario. Triply true thanks to this game being four player. I love sidescrolling Mario too btw.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By calidan777

There isn't a Wal-Mart in your town? Wally world stays open 24 hours a day meaning you could buy the game at midnight.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire
    @calidan777:   "Sometime next week" is what walmart told me here in peoria, AZ...
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By calidan777

Did you try anyway, maybe you just got a dumbass, it always seems to be hit-or-miss when it comes to Wal-Mart employees.

The_Aus_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Aus_Hulk

The casual Nintendo audience would be in bed by 8.30 anyways.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire
    @calidan777: Yeah I actually went their to be disappointed in person after being told on the phone that they would have it at midnight.  I hate wal-mart, shit like this happens all the time with them.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JJOR64

I'm kinda bummed it didn't have a midnight release.  If it was released at midnight, I would be playing it right now.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By yetiantics

i know gameslop has at 8am release thing.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    @AgentJ said:
    "@super_mario_john said:
    " @AgentJ:  But, I've never associated a Super Mario Bros. game as being a "casual" game.  If you really dig down and look at it, this industry wouldn't exist in the form that it is today without Super Mario Brothers.  Idk, it seems weird that a traditional style Mario game doesn't seem to matter anymore, and thats really sad to me because that was a big part of my childhood. "
    In this generation, pretty much anything involving the Wii is thought of as casual, and that is doubly true when you talk about Mario. Triply true thanks to this game being four player. I love sidescrolling Mario too btw. "
    @The_Aus_Hulk said:
    "  The casual Nintendo audience would be in bed by 8.30 anyways. "
    Case in point
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By calidan777
    @super_mario_john said:
    " @calidan777: Yeah I actually went their to be disappointed in person after being told on the phone that they would have it at midnight.  I hate wal-mart, shit like this happens all the time with them. "
    Yeah, that really sucks.I freaking hate Wal-Mart.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @AgentJ said:
     I've got too much other stuff to play, and there will be a billion copies for 10 bucks a piece in a year or two "
    No there won't. Games that sell year around (like this one will) don't drop quickly.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " @AgentJ said:
     I've got too much other stuff to play, and there will be a billion copies for 10 bucks a piece in a year or two "
    No there won't. Games that sell year around (like this one will) don't drop quickly. "
    Used copies on ebay will be pretty cheap, and even if not, I can wait.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By KingBroly

They don't have Midnight launches for Pokemon.  Why would they have one for New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Snail

It is not a spiritual successor, merely a sort of remake. Besides, you should have thought of this when the game was released on the DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.