Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Xbox Experience

Concept »

The New Xbox Experience, or NXE, overhauled the Xbox 360's dashboard, released on November 19th, 2008. A new "Metro" dashboard was released on December 6th, 2011.

Get a Bigger F'n Hard Drive 20 giggers!

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By MasterSplinter

So I was playing around with NXE for a bit this evening and I must admit, I was quite impressed. I created my lovely Conan O'Brienavatar and perused the new interface that is replacing the old blade system. I think everything looks wonderful and is very easy to navigate. Unfortunately I do not have a Netflix subscription, so I wasn't able to explore this potentially amazing feature. However, the real reason I was so eager for this update was the ability to install games to my hard drive. I have one of the older systems and my disc drive is essentially shot to shit. It has scratched way too many of my games. It is kinda like my 360 has Parkinson's and is reading my discs with a switchblade. It sucks. I was banking on this feature to essentially fix my disc read error problems and possibly prevent me from needing to purchase a new console all together.

Any who, I have been terrified to play Gears of War 2 for the past week because I really did not want it to get scratched. Every time I booted it up, it sounded like my console was gargling nails. You can probably imagine the relief that I felt after finally being able to download it without having to fret for future gameplay experiences. It took a little less than 10 minutes for the game to download. Afterward, I wanted to check how much space I had for my next download. It turns out I only had 5.6 gigs left on my 20GB hard drive. Gears 2 took up a whopping 6.7 gigs. I checked the rest of my library to see if I could stuff anything else on my HDD and the only games small enough were Condemned: Criminal Origins and the Orange Box. Yes, the disc with 5 games on it is less that 5.6 gigs. Ain't that some shit?

Want to ride beasts with me from the sanctity of your hard drive?? That'll be 6 gigs, bitch!
    Want to ride beasts with me from the sanctity of your hard drive?? That'll be 6 gigs, bitch!

These are the results for most of the games currently in my library that I tested.

Assassin's Creed: 6.7GB
    Bioshock: 6.1GB
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: 6.7GB
    Gears of War: 6.5GB
    Gears of War 2: 6.7GB
    Golden Axe: Beast Rider: 6.4GB  (I won it so get off me!)
    Grand Theft Auto 4: 6.8GB
    Halo 3: 6.3GB
    Madden NFL 09: 6.7GB
    Mass Effect: 6.8GB
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent: 6.8GB

I figure you already know most of this by now, but nevertheless I enjoy bringing redundancy into your lives. So to any fellow 20 giggers who were looking forward to this feature, start deleting old game saves and underplayed demos or start saving coins for that 120GB overpriced brick of bullshit. Unfortunately, you're going to need one to really enjoy this.

Note: Sorry I didn't have the likes of a Fallout 3 or Fable 2 to test, but I think you can guesstimate from the sizes of GTA4 and Mass Effect.
    MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MasterSplinter

So I was playing around with NXE for a bit this evening and I must admit, I was quite impressed. I created my lovely Conan O'Brienavatar and perused the new interface that is replacing the old blade system. I think everything looks wonderful and is very easy to navigate. Unfortunately I do not have a Netflix subscription, so I wasn't able to explore this potentially amazing feature. However, the real reason I was so eager for this update was the ability to install games to my hard drive. I have one of the older systems and my disc drive is essentially shot to shit. It has scratched way too many of my games. It is kinda like my 360 has Parkinson's and is reading my discs with a switchblade. It sucks. I was banking on this feature to essentially fix my disc read error problems and possibly prevent me from needing to purchase a new console all together.

Any who, I have been terrified to play Gears of War 2 for the past week because I really did not want it to get scratched. Every time I booted it up, it sounded like my console was gargling nails. You can probably imagine the relief that I felt after finally being able to download it without having to fret for future gameplay experiences. It took a little less than 10 minutes for the game to download. Afterward, I wanted to check how much space I had for my next download. It turns out I only had 5.6 gigs left on my 20GB hard drive. Gears 2 took up a whopping 6.7 gigs. I checked the rest of my library to see if I could stuff anything else on my HDD and the only games small enough were Condemned: Criminal Origins and the Orange Box. Yes, the disc with 5 games on it is less that 5.6 gigs. Ain't that some shit?

These are the results for most of the games currently in my library that I tested.

Assassin's Creed: 6.7GB
    Bioshock: 6.1GB
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: 6.7GB
    Gears of War: 6.5GB
    Gears of War 2: 6.7GB
    Golden Axe: Beast Rider: 6.4GB  (I won it so get off me!)
    Grand Theft Auto 4: 6.8GB
    Halo 3: 6.3GB
    Madden NFL 09: 6.7GB
    Mass Effect: 6.8GB
    Splinter Cell: Double Agent: 6.8GB

I figure you already know most of this by now, but nevertheless I enjoy bringing redundancy into your lives. So to any fellow 20 giggers who were looking forward to this feature, start deleting old game saves and underplayed demos or start saving coins for that 120GB overpriced brick of bullshit. Unfortunately, you're going to need one to really enjoy this.

Note: Sorry I didn't have the likes of a Fallout 3 or Fable 2 to test, but I think you can guesstimate from the sizes of GTA4 and Mass Effect.
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DoctorTran

Fallout 3 is about 6.8 Gigs.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, if you're playing it from your hard drive, clearly you'll need more than 20GB. Heck, dude, I don't even have all that much saved on my hard drive, just games saves, DLC for a few games, the official GTAIV trailers, and 1 Xbox Original and I'm down to like 5GB left on my 20GB 360.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Red

Doesn't matter too much for me. I sit away from my 360 and if you still have to put the disc in the drive it doesn't matter too much.
    My 360 works and read discs fine though.

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SolemnOaf

yeah, let me run out and drop a hundred bucks so I can shave a few seconds off loading times. 

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TheGamerGeek

That really blows. My 360 kills disk's a lot too, so I was really looking forward to installing the games also. 6 gigs for GTA...why?

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Bennyishere

I have space for one game. I really don't want to delete my Arcade games to make space for another. Fable II is over 6 GB's and Far Cry 2 is 4.5 GB (!). I'd love to get a bigger hard-drive, but the price is insane, especially in a country like Norway.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If your disk drive is scratching disks shouldn't you send it to Microsoft to get it fixed?

Either way, installing games seems like a gimmick to me. The only real advantage is that its quieter, and the noise doesn't bother me anyway.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MasterSplinter
    MattyFTM said:
    "If your disk drive is scratching disks shouldn't you send it to Microsoft to get it fixed?
    Unfortunately my 360 is not under warranty nor is it red-ringed so it wouldn't be free... nor cheap.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Absolutely excellent blog!

Quick question for anyone who knows:  how big of an update is the NXE in terms of download space needed and/or length of time to download on...say...a fiber line?

I've gotta update 20 fucking Xbox 360s tonight, and I kinda need to know my time frame.  =  /
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf
    MasterSplinter said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "If your disk drive is scratching disks shouldn't you send it to Microsoft to get it fixed?
    Unfortunately my 360 is not under warranty nor is it red-ringed so it wouldn't be free... nor cheap."
    You could make it red ring. *cough*
    MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MasterSplinter
    jakob187 said:
    "Absolutely excellent blog!
    Quick question for anyone who knows:  how big of an update is the NXE in terms of download space needed and/or length of time to download on...say...a fiber line?

I've gotta update 20 fucking Xbox 360s tonight, and I kinda need to know my time frame.  =  /
    "
    The size is like 128mb. Relatively small. The whole download process takes about 2-3 minutes, including a system restart.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    MasterSplinter said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    Unfortunately my 360 is not under warranty nor is it red-ringed so it wouldn't be free... nor cheap."
    I heard that Microsoft offered reasonable prices for out of warranty disk drive repairs. Or you could just make it red ring. Drop kicking it into the wall should work.
    MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MasterSplinter
    MattyFTM said:
    "MasterSplinter said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    I heard that Microsoft offered reasonable prices for out of warranty disk drive repairs. Or you could just make it red ring. Drop kicking it into the wall should work."
    I thought it was about 100 bucks to send it to Microsoft for repair out of warranty, but I could be wrong. Yeah, I could definitely make it red ring, but no Gears = tears.  =(
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By brukaoru

That sucks about your disc drive, that's the exact reason why I was excited about this update allowing us to install the games. Wow, over 6GB, I will definitely need to get a bigger hard drive soon.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech

Well, the only thing stopping them is that big hard drives are a ton of money. I fortunately lost my 360 to the dead graphics card plague the day after the new premium launched. I had purchased the Best Buy warranty, which is totally worth it, so I walked in and they gave me the new 60GB version and $20 credit.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Psynapse
    MattyFTM said:
     Drop kicking it into the wall should work.

LOL
    Mjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mjolnir

I tend to only play one game at a time, until completion, so un/reinstalling won't be that big of a deal even with limited HDD space (approx. 8-10 gigs).  When I get a craving for some quick multiplayer or the like in another game, I'll just deal with the spinning.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MasterSplinter
    Mjolnir said:
    "I tend to only play one game at a time, until completion, so un/reinstalling won't be that big of a deal even with limited HDD space (approx. 8-10 gigs).  When I get a craving for some quick multiplayer or the like in another game, I'll just deal with the spinning."
    Yeah, I hear you on that one.
    Also, the fact that the 60GB HDD bundle doesn't come with a data transfer kit is unforgivable. Fix that shit Microsoft.
    Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Manks

Damn.  I guess I'll switch to at least a 60 GB.  I was planning only to install Fallout 3 and Gears 2, but that's 13.5 GB.  I only have 10.2 GB free on my 20 gigger.  My dad uses a 120 GB though.  Maybe I can trade my HD for his...

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I've been considering upgrading to an Elite for HDMI output and the larger hard drive and I think the NXE is going to push me to do it.  Anyone need a very functional premium 360?

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By dsplayer1010

I'll stick to loading off the disc.

Avatar image for deactivated-6308c1821738f
    deactivated-6308c1821738f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

DoctorTran said:
    "Fallout 3 is about 6.8 Gigs."
    Fallout 3 is actually only 5.9 Gigs
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Great time to have an Elite.

I underestimated how much I'd love installs.

Avatar image for darkenzanarikado
    DarkEnzanArikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarkEnzanArikado

I guess this is where convincing your parents last Christmas to get you the elite for more hard drive space for no use payed off! Lol But yeah, those sizes are pretty large, having a 20gb is going to be tough to handle a few games.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bombHills

I will get a larger hard disk when the price is reasonable.  What is it, $140 now?

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lamegame621

yeah, i'm not giving microsoft that much money for something that is TOTALLY not worth that much.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Claude

I shed a tear for you MasterSplinter.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MasterSplinter
    Claude said:
    "I shed a tear for you MasterSplinter."
    I have captured that tear in a jar and placed it in a safe for all eternity. I thank you for your kind donation, Claude.  =D
    Supercoolbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Supercoolbro

Effing Zeldagamer14!

You are right, I'm probably getting 40 or 60.

marcusfriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By marcusfriendly

What about dead space , I wanted to get that maybe and rip it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.