Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NHL 09

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 10, 2008

NHL 09 adds major improvements to the franchise, such as the defense skill stick and the highly praised Be A Pro Mode, to make this sports game one of the best of 2008.

Demo Impressions

Brym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brym

I just played the demo, and I'm really impressed with the "be a pro" mode.  As someone who used to play a lot of street hockey growing up, it seemed to me to do a much better job of simulating what it's like to play the game of hockey.  I enjoyed trying to be in position for a pass--something you never get to do in normal hockey games.  It's probably enough to get me to buy the game, which is the first time I've bought a hockey game since NHL 2k5.

simon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By simon1

I really enjoyed the demo.  Not bought a EA NHL game for many years but i've pre ordered this one.  I also look forward to the BAP mode.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By SpecTackle

The skating feels alot better this time around, and the defensive stick controls add a whole new layer of depth that was needed. I'm really excited for it.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Dizzyhippos

I like all the gameplay improvements my issue is with the player ratings go google it if you havent already 96 for crosby? really? also it seems like the computer dosnt realize that it needs to change its play with the goalie pulled.

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Mattzz10

I have become really hooked to this demo, and will be picking this game up as soon as I can. Hopefully day 1.

Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Blue
    Dizzyhippos said:
    "I like all the gameplay improvements my issue is with the player ratings go google it if you havent already 96 for crosby? really? also it seems like the computer dosnt realize that it needs to change its play with the goalie pulled."
    The ratings are a little messed up. I don't really think Crosby is to far off though he is one that I think actually they got right.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dizzyhippos
    Blue said:
    "Dizzyhippos said:
    "I like all the gameplay improvements my issue is with the player ratings go google it if you havent already 96 for crosby? really? also it seems like the computer dosnt realize that it needs to change its play with the goalie pulled."
    The ratings are a little messed up. I don't really think Crosby is to far off though he is one that I think actually they got right."
    Alot of the ratings are a little messed but the biggest problem I have is how certain people are higher then other,  example forsburg being as high as ovechkin wtf and you know Marty Broduer is going to be higher then he should be, and explain to me how derek roy only gets a 80 rating  and pominville gets less then a 78
    Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blue

Forsburg rating is insane I think he has a higher rating then Ovechkin.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dizzyhippos

http://www.operationsports.com/mediaview.php?id=492&page=3

has the ratings

95 for forsburg ovy and iginla then they underrate rick nash with a 89 and over rate peca and derek roy, peca wasn't a 85 in his best year let alone this year and as far as roy go's what does a guy have to do he had 81 points on a struggling team and only gets a 80???

Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Blue
    Dizzyhippos said:
    "http://www.operationsports.com/mediaview.php?id=492&page=3

has the ratings

95 for forsburg ovy and iginla then they underrate rick nash with a 89 and over rate peca and derek roy, peca wasn't a 85 in his best year let alone this year and as far as roy go's what does a guy have to do he had 81 points on a struggling team and only gets a 80???"
    Hmmmm....wonder why they underrated Rick Nash...
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dizzyhippos

I dont mean to sound like such a homer since I am a sabres fan but how do they only give pominvile a 78 or lower?

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpecTackle

I'm sure there will be an update with the game as soon as you pop in the disc to make the ratings better, I could be wrong but that's usually the case.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dizzyhippos

I hope so, they are going to need a roster update right away to pull sundin and mccabe off the leafs along with all the other recent transfers

simon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By simon1

I suppose that's an advantage i've got here in the UK.  I don't follow the real NHL so haven't a clue about how good/poor players are.  So i'll just play it blissfully unaware of who should have higher / lower rating.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I really disliked how you shoot by moving the analog back and forth. And for some reason it was ridiculously hard to score even once. I tried the 94' controls, but it's still a little stiff. I don't know, maybe I'm too used to the NHL Hitz 03' game (the last hockey game I bought/played).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.