Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NHL 09

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 10, 2008

NHL 09 adds major improvements to the franchise, such as the defense skill stick and the highly praised Be A Pro Mode, to make this sports game one of the best of 2008.

Why is the EA series so much better then the 2K?

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AthleticShark

So I am curious. I have only played NHL 08 and 09 and never a 2k sports game. So why is 2k so bad compared the the EA franchise?

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By SpecTackle

I preferred the 2k games for the amount of features they had over the NHL franchise. Obviously the skill stick was huge when it was brought to the NHL franchise, and NHL 09 caught up with 2k in terms of game features, modes.. that sort of thing.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

It's better because of this:

"EA Sports - It's in the game!"

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

because the nhl series is a lot better. 

/thread
    CynageN said:
    "I preferred the 2k games for the amount of features they had over the NHL franchise. Obviously the skill stick was huge when it was brought to the NHL franchise, and NHL 09 caught up with 2k in terms of game features, modes.. that sort of thing."
    caught up?! you mean totally surpassed!? seriously man, the whole be a pro whatever it was called mode is fantastic and the online is incredible. the league set up, the clubs, the gameplay is like part co-op and competitive, feels like a real team sport. 
    JohnDeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JohnDeadly

It's only recently that NHL 09/08 passed 2K. But EA is still light years behind 2K in basketball. And of course presentation wise Madden 09 doesn't even come close to NFL2K5. 

HashHeesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HashHeesh

EA has alot of money. 2k has less.

Since EA has more money, they can hire more people and hence polish / make their games better?    Anyways thats my guess... :S

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SpecTackle
    TwoOneFive said:
    "because the nhl series is a lot better. 
    /thread
    CynageN said:
    "I preferred the 2k games for the amount of features they had over the NHL franchise. Obviously the skill stick was huge when it was brought to the NHL franchise, and NHL 09 caught up with 2k in terms of game features, modes.. that sort of thing."
    caught up?! you mean totally surpassed!? seriously man, the whole be a pro whatever it was called mode is fantastic and the online is incredible. the league set up, the clubs, the gameplay is like part co-op and competitive, feels like a real team sport. 
    "
    I wouldn't say totally surpassed, they've gained the upperhand without a doubt, but the beauty about hockey video games is that EA has competition.. so I'm excited to see if 2k is willing to step up and try to put something better out there next year. It's going to be pretty interesting I think.
    Coldfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Coldfront

Most people consider EA's NHL better than 2k's because the EA game is more of an accurate sim where the scores stay pretty low and then when you look at the 2k game you see more arcadey play and higher scores and a less advanced control scheme (really just meaning no skill stick). Also the EA franchise has been more innovative the past few years

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    HashHeesh said:
    "EA has alot of money. 2k has less.

Since EA has more money, they can hire more people and hence polish / make their games better?    Anyways thats my guess... :S"
    What's funny and sad about that is that the problem with most EA games is a lack of polish. They usually have some good ideas, but with a little more effort, their games could be really great, and too often they fall short of this potential.
    TravisT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TravisT
    HashHeesh said:
    "EA has alot of money. 2k has less.Since EA has more money, they can hire more people and hence polish / make their games better?    Anyways thats my guess... :S"

That isn't true at at all. Some examples are the Madden and MLB series. It's not only sports game either, EA has been slacking in a lot of the games they've been releasing. I do agree with you though that EA has a lot of money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.