NHL 10 features all new 360 degrees passing, first person fighting and board play. It will improve on last years EA Sports Hockey Leauge (EASHL) feature, which allows players to play as one player on a team online.
Game Modes and New Features
First Person Fighting
In NHL 10, EA completely overhauled the fighting system. In NHL 10 fights can are initiated by taping Y or triangle during play or after the whistle by taping Y or triangle to face wash a guy until he decides to fight. Once a fight is initiated the camera zooms into a first person view of your fighter (ala Fight Night Round 3).
During a fight you can press in the LT or L2 button to block, move the right stick forward to perform jabs or pull it back and then forward for power punches. The left stick is used to dodge side to side and by pressing but the triggers or L2 and R2 your player will turtle and attempt to protect himself from injury.
The final improvement made to the fighting system in NHL 10 is that fighting can help determine the outcome of a game and act as a turning point. Fights at right time of game can reenergize your top line and the rest of your team, while getting one your better players injured in fight can cost your team the game.
To improve the realism of NHL 10, EA implemented line matching; a key element of every NHL game that is often over looked. Now the player has the ability to choose which lines are sent out against the opponents lines. Real life strategies such as starting the game your fourth line out against the opponents first line can now help set the tempo for the rest of the match.
Be a GM Mode
A new mode in NHL 10, Be a GM Mode allows the player act as a NHL GM, similar to Be a Pro Mode. The ultimate goal is to become a Legendary GM (such as Glen Sather, Ken Holland) which can be accomplished by completing the various 140 tasks available. These tasks range from being as easy as making a trade while others will demand your team to win 5 Stanely Cups in a row. Each tasks grants the player task points which are used to unlock the 6 levels of the road to a Legend GM. Another use for task points are to upgrade the staff.
There are four types of staff members: Trainers, Amateur Scouts, Pro Scouts, and Assistant Coaches.
- Trainers allows players to heal faster from injuries and help players develop durability.
- Amateur Scouts provide information about the upcoming draft and developing junior players.
- Pro Scouts give information regarding the availability of players to trade for on the new Trade Block and Rumour Mill.
- Assistant Coaches develop players already on your team and ones in the farm system.
Another new aspect to Be a GM Mode is the GM Reputation. Every GM in the league will have a relationship with you, and depending on how you deal with them can provide great dividends when pulling off a trade. Free Agents will also be aware of your reputation. If you sign and trade players right away, no Free Agent will want to sign with your team. This reputation will be key during the Entry Draft and Trading Deadline, helping the player pull of deals during these days. The better your reputation, the greater you chance will be to pull off major deals at the last minute.
The CPU is now also dynamic and actively makes trades throughout the season, sometimes even making deals for players that you may be interested in getting. The AI can now take into consider many factors such as the salary cup and the type of team they are. There are five types of teams: Rebuilders, Playoff Hopefuls, Playoff Bubble, Playoff Contenders, Championship Contenders. The status of the team will weigh heavily on the types of trades they will make. For example, a Rebuilder is looking to get rid of expensive contracts in return for draft picks while a Championship Contender will be more likely to ship off draft picks for that final piece. Each team will also have a Trading Block, where you can see what the team is looking to trade as well as what they are kinds of deals they are looking for. An important tool for use this year is the ability to buyout contracts. Contract buyouts will allow teams to rid themselves of players not worth their salaries.
, EA introduced the ability to flip the puck into the opponent end of the ice to attempt a dump and chase style of attack. However this would often fail has the opposing player would be you the puck and clear the zone. In NHL 10 this has been solved with the introduction of an all new board play mechanic.
In NHL 10 you now have the ability to either place yourself along the boards to protect the puck from opposing players attempting to get the puck or start a board play against them. To initiate board play when your opponent has the puck, hold the Y or the triangle button. This will make your player pin his opponent along the boards. You can then use the poke button to free up the puck up. During these scrums teammates of both teams will come and join the scrum. If you are the one being pinned against the boards you have the ability to press pass and kick the puck to a teammate or take control of teammate and attempt to get the puck.
Battle for the Cup
- Experience the intensity of NHL playoff hockey
- Play through injuries, intimidate rivals, and match lines
- Storylines carry across the entire series
- Playoff atmosphere pops to life with towel-waving fans,
- Deafening noise and crowds that react and respond to the action on the ice
- Fanatical fans bang glass during board play
- Jump to their feet after big hits, and boo opposing stars when they handle the puck
- Players while being tripped now have a chance to fall to their knee's to attempt a shot
- Players will now jump up and bat lose pucks with their gloves
- All new goalie animations including new desperation save like batting the puck from behind.
- Players can now bat at lose puck in the air on offense or defense
EA Sports Hockey League (EASHL)
The EASHL is a returning online game mode from NHL 09. The EASHL allows you and your friends to create your very own team and compete for the EASHL cup using your unique player online.
There have been some changes and improvements to EASHL in NHL 10. The EASHL is now divided into monthly tournaments instead of a yearlong tournament. The EASHL Trophies are for the pro division for your club trophy room, but winning the casual division also gives you a trophy for your club trophy room. Like this year, EA will be rewarding the top teams.
The teams that win the most EASHL trophies on console during the year are then considered the champions and then win a real life prize. Teams that finish in the top percentages in their divisions will win medals (gold, silver, bronze) for their trophy rooms/
Another new feature in the EASHL, is the ability for club members to wear custom equipment. This can range from a different colour visor to camouflage gloves and different colour stick tape. The custom equipment will offer small attribute bonuses. These bonuses are small and will not be severally unbalanced to players using default equipment. Keeping in line with allowing players and teams to be unique EA has added 25 new custom jerseys for teams to choose from.
The default create-a-player in the EASHL now starts at a default rating of 72 allowing more wiggle room before you hit the experience cap to create the type of player you want. Along with the lowering of the default rating the max ratting has been raised to 90 as opposed to 86.
After an amazing two seasons in the league, Patrick Kane was chosen as the
for NHL 10. He has reinvigorated the Chicago Blackhawks, with help from guys like Jonathan Towes and Duncan Keith, and has helped thecity live and breath hockey once again.
Mikko Koivu of the Minnesota Wild is on the cover in his native Finland, as is Mikkel Boedker of the Phoenix Coyotes in Denmark, Nicklas Backstrom of the Washington Capitals in Sweden, and for the third year in a row, Mark Streit of the New York Islanders in Switzerland.
Top Rated Player Types
There are 11 player types in NHL 10. 6 for foward positions, 2 for defensemen, and 3 goaltenders.
- Playmaker: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Joe Thornton
- Sniper: Alexander Ovechkin, Vincent Lecavalier, Ilya Kovalchuk
- Dangler: Pavel Datsyuk, Marian Hossa, Alexander Semin
- Power Forward: Jarome Iginla, Rick Nash, Ryan Getzlaf
- Grinder: Ryan Kesler, John Madden, Rod Brind'Amour
- Tough Guy: Chris Neil, George Laraque, Jordan Tootoo
- Offensive Defenseman: Nicklas Lidstrom, Scott Niedermayer, Sergei Gonchar
- Defensive Defenseman: Zdeno Chara, Chris Pronger, Dion Phaneuf
- Butterfly Goalie: Roberto Luongo, Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury
- Hybrid Goalie: Martin Brodeur, Evgeni Nabokov, Tim Thomas
- Standup Goalie: Manny Legace, Curtis Joseph
- Alexisonfire - Young Cardinals
- Cancer Bats - Deathsmarch
- CKY - Hellions on Parade
- Disco Ensemble - Golden Years
- Dragonforce - Heroes of Our Time
- Earl Greyhound - Oye Vaya
- Green Day - Know Your Enemy
- MeTalkPretty - Wake Up! Wake Up!
- Ministry & Co-Conspirators - Keys to the City (Chicago Blackhawks theme)
- MxPx - Kids in America
- Nickelback - Burn It to the Ground
- Papa Roach - Into the Light
- Priestess - Raccoon Eyes
- Rancid - The Bravest Kids
- Scorpions - Rock You Like A Hurricane
- Thousand Foot Krunch - Fire It Up
Xbox 360 Game Installation
NHL 10 requires 4.9GB of space to be installed on an Xbox 360 HDD.