Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NHL 10

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

The 19th installment of EA Sports' long running series, NHL 10 brings a new degree of toughness through one-on-one battle refinements and a new board physics engine, as well as various EA Sports Hockey League adjustments.

Demo Discussion / Impressions

triplexpac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By triplexpac

So I figured we might as well discuss the demo until the game comes out! 

I am really impressed with the Hardcore mode so far. To me it's almost perfect: the took out the super annoying magnet hip checks, the speed is pretty realistic, the puck bounces and rolls pretty realistically. It's great. 

The crowd in the Cup mode sounded pretty good, way better than last year. It's still not perfect though, sometimes I would score a goal and they really didn't react as strongly as they should.

I wasn't a fan of the after-the-whistle delays though. It's fine once and a while to get into some scrums, but having to wait 10 seconds after each whistle is annoying.

The first person fighting is hilarious, but useless.

I wasn't able to do any of the knew shots/dekes off the knees, but I saw the computer bat the puck out of the air.

Anyway that's all for now, anyone else have impressions?

simon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By simon1

Not had the chance to play the demo yet as 360 is away getting repaired but will try the PS3 version next week. 
     I've already pre ordered the game and really looking forward to it.  NHL09 was my favourite game last year.  it sounds like the small improvements will definitely take the game up another level.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By poser

the demo is a bit disappointing... It's pretty much the same game as last year only with improved physics. In recent years they have been adding such revolutionary gameplay concepts, such as 'Be A Pro' and the 'Skills Stick' and the EASHL that refining board play just seems lazy in comparison.

I'm still going to buy it. It's still awesome... it's just not as loaded with new features like 09 was.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By spankingaddict
    @triplexpac:  nice icon, randy orton is my current favorite wwe superstar...
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By demonbear

I Liked the demo, its basically NHL09 + a few additions here and there, and you know what? That's totally fine with me. NHL 09 was by far the best entry in the series and in my book, the best hockey game ever created. Now with better crowd reactions, board plays, and an ever better be a pro mode? Count me in!

Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Soulja
    I played two games of be a pro on the demo, haven't had time since then.  The coolest thing I saw was the puck getting batted out of mid-air by a defenseman in front of his own goal, an awesome addition this year!  It adds a great new dynamic to the game and the series.  The other thing I thought was pretty good was a late stoppage after a lot of hard checking, I face washed a player, he came back at me, then another player stepped in, and all of a sudden everyone on the ice had paired up!  No fights came of it, but wow what a sight!
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By breadfan

I haven't played a new NHL game in a long time, but I really liked the demo.  Everything seemed and controlled fairly well and seemed realistic

simon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By simon1

Although pre ordered the 360 version i played the PS3 demo tonight (as 360 still away getting fixed).  Anyway, only played 1 game so far but definitely like what i played.  No doubt the more i play, the enhancements over the 09 version will show through.  Only 18 more days to wait here in the UK for release

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SpecTackle

Loved the demo. Can't wait to dig into hardcore mode.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive

wrestling is for dorks

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By FesteringNeon

It's just enough refinement, as there are welcome additions, compairable to the fine details of real hockey, such as the board play and chemistry after a fight.  For those of us who missed picking up last years game, make this a no-brainer.
    triplexpac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By triplexpac

I played the demo a bit more last night, had a fun moment. I tried to line up a huge hit on someone on the boards but they moved and I missed. My player crashed into the boards and got knocked on his ass, and the announcers commented on it. 

I love all the little details added into this years game, except for the after the whistle stuff. I want some way to just skip to the next faceoff, I don't want to see a huge scrum after the whistle every single time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.