Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NHL 12

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 13, 2011

The 20th annual installment of EA Sports hockey, featuring the Winter Classic and an expanded physics engine.

Completely new to hockey...

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By figurehead00

Hi. So, I'm thinking about getting this game tomorrow, and this will be my first nhl game. I've always been kind of interested in hockey, but never really followed it. So I though this would be a good time to get into it. The problem is, if you don't know anything about a sport, sports games can be pretty incomprehensible. I know I'll suck for a long time, and have no plans to play online or anything, I just want to get to where I understand hockey and enjoy the game. Any advice for a complete hockey noob?

P.S. Advice from real live Canadians would be ideal, but my fellow Americans are welcome as well. Thanks!

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By yoshimitz707

Shoot the puck.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best thing you can do is actually watch hockey and you'll pick up pretty quick, but if you don't want to watch I guess there will be tutorials in the game that will tell you most of what you need to know

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By FreakAche

As a "real live Canadian" I have to say that hockey isn't really that complicated, especially compared to popular American sports like football and baseball.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By 71Ranchero

Theres not much to Hockey that you wont pick up after a couple games. The only thing they wont teach you in the game is to always put your money on the team with the most consonants in the players last names. Z's and X's are worth double and triple points respectively.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Patman99

The best offensive strategy is not to rush the shot. Unless you have a clear opportunity, wait for your team mates to catch up so you can start to cycle (pass around the puck). Basically passing the puck is far more effective then to try and beat a person one on one. This is especially true online. First few games might be a little rough but you will get the hang of it after a few matches. Just so you know, I am a real live Canadian.

Now, if you don't mind, I have to go finish my igloo as winter is approaching!!!!

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By btman

@figurehead00: check this out for general rules. As far as advanced gameplay you can PM me and I'll try to answer as best I can. That goes for video game hockey and real life hockey.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.