junk.bin Dave Lang code

• 91 results
#1 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

EDIT 3 (30 April 2013): Awesome job! Thanks!

EquitasInvictus marked this as the best answer

I present to you junk.bin:

I started off trying to find my way through the game's assembly, but I got lost almost instantly. I then turned to playing around with editing memory values to try to flip whatever bit caused the slideshow to run. I eventually found where the game was keeping track of the menus, and noticed that one of the values changed depending on which menu you were in. If you edit the value and select a menu on-screen, it would change to the menu corresponding with the memory value, regardless of what you select in the game. After plugging in a bunch of numbers into that address, eventually the slideshow appeared!

It's not as good as getting the code, but it can be accessed by using a gameshark with the code 8013CEBF 0038 and selecting any menu option. I did this with an emulator, so I'm not sure if it works on a N64 hardware.

Original Post: As it was attempted during the TNT stream tonight, I'm curious as to how much progress has been made with the "junk.bin" code hidden in NHL Breakaway 98 that has been "never before seen." At this point I would consider it among the rarest Easter Eggs ever.

I know someone updated a snippet from a dump that hinted on Dave Lang's code but I'm not sure if anyone was able to trace back the hex to any key mappings since everyone involved (Dave Lang and Tom Carbone who even created it) doesn't remember it anymore.

EDIT 1: I messed up and forgot to make it clear that Dave Lang and Tom Carbone might each have written a slightly different version of the code so there may actually be two different codes. Not sure if they're for the same junk.bin or different parts of it, however. Thanks for bringing reminding me to make that clear, @video_game_king.

EDIT 2: Here is the dump snippet for what appears to be Dave Lang's cheat from what was said to be a dumped ROM of NHL Breakout 98 (let me know who to credit):

#2 Edited by Thetheroo (8 posts) -

C-Left, C-Right, C-Down, C-Down START. Enter "jabroni" as a character name. Activate the cheat menu AFTER all this. Source

#3 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3841 posts) -

Not surprised that dude cracked it. Somebody needs to get those images up here post haste!

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8124 posts) -

That almost sounds too fake to be true.

WTF Dave Lang.

#5 Posted by MHumphreys89 (712 posts) -

Does anybody know what it does yet?

#6 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

Does anybody know what it does yet?

Dave Lang said he stuck in random pictures of himself drinking (amongst other pictures).`

#7 Edited by MHumphreys89 (712 posts) -

@pazy: Oh, I must've missed when he said that. Somebody needs to break their screen-capping software out.

#8 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

All we need now is some video confirmation of someone doing it!

EDIT: Images are fine too! (I mean that's all there is to the contents of junk.bin, anyway, right?)

#9 Edited by sebmal (26 posts) -
#10 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

But didn't David Lang say that there are two codes (one per person)?

#11 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

@video_game_king: Yes, I believe he stated there was one for him and one for Tom Carbone. Apparently the one that's not his is only slightly different.

#12 Posted by 6n00bkilla9 (149 posts) -

any updates?

#13 Posted by Dalai (7016 posts) -

This is the strangest way to promote a 15 year old hockey game.

#14 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

I am really interested in seeing the end result of this.

#15 Edited by BBAlpert (1420 posts) -

Dave Lang has out-Fezzed Phil Fish with this whole code thing.

#16 Posted by alternate (2693 posts) -
#17 Posted by thewopr (1 posts) -
#18 Edited by sirdesmond (1234 posts) -

I really, really hope someone can figure this code out. What a truly bizarre Easter Egg it would be!

#19 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2020 posts) -

Dang, the mystery is still on even after almost a full day?

#20 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10809 posts) -

Finding the code is fine and dandy, but someone better post those pictures to GB when it's all said and done.

#21 Edited by Homeslice (534 posts) -

Shocked that this community, of all communities, has been unable to get to the bottom of this, over 24 hours later. Comma.

#22 Posted by Zaccheus (1791 posts) -

Shocked that this community, of all communities, has been unable to get to the bottom of this, over 24 hours later. Comma.

Truly. I came into this thread expecting a Youtube video and some kind of edited remix video already done... I guess this is a tough one. Props to anyone who can crack it.

#23 Posted by Adrock4 (16 posts) -
#24 Edited by LegendaryChopChop (1190 posts) -

Holy shit. Nice work of even propagating this. Hopefully something gets discovered about this cheat.

#25 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1632 posts) -

Looking forward to a lang pitcher of beer picture.

#26 Posted by KaneRobot (1500 posts) -

I guess it's settled. The code will never, ever be found. Ever.

EVER.

#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, if they've been able to find junk.bin so easily, why can't they just work with that and fuck about with the pictures within? Is there a long technical reason ON TOP of my idiocy?

#28 Edited by Pop (2616 posts) -

I was thinking, Dave Lang mentioned that someone on the development team found the junk.bin file and they were having problems with memory so I would imagine that it got deleted to save space and Dave Lang remembers the code when he was developing it not on the proper release. Just my thoughts, the cheat may still be there but not the pictures.

I really want to see those pictures too.

#29 Posted by YoThatLimp (1895 posts) -

@pop said:

I was thinking, Dave Lang mentioned that someone on the development team found the junk.bin file and they were having problems with memory so I would imagine that it got deleted to save space and Dave Lang remembers the code when he was developing it not on the proper release. Just my thoughts, the cheat may still be there but not the pictures.

I really want to see those pictures too.

I think he said the guy in charge of the sequel to that game called him.

#30 Posted by ZagZagovich (756 posts) -

@pop:

He said it was for the next game. It's still supposed to be in 98. They specifically put it in because the game didn't use enough space.

#31 Edited by Pop (2616 posts) -
#32 Edited by Winternet (8012 posts) -

What is going on??!!!

#33 Posted by coribald (311 posts) -

I don't think you guys get exactly how complicated reverse engineering N64 assembly code is. Yeah, there was some plain-text in memory (i.e DAVE'S CHEATS) - using an emulator to view the memory and search for text is easy. But the code will be embedded entirely somewhere else, in hex. It will take an enormous amount of effort to find it, something along the lines of converting every line of assembly code to button presses and seeing if anything lines up. That's thousands and thousands of lines, and the button presses won't even be together. Unless Dave locates the source code, or people start just brute forcing it, I don't see how anyone can find it.

junk.bin was compiled along with everything else into machine code, so there's no way to just pull it out either.

#34 Edited by Chaser324 (6389 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

Wait, if they've been able to find junk.bin so easily, why can't they just work with that and fuck about with the pictures within? Is there a long technical reason ON TOP of my idiocy?

They haven't found the junk.bin file. You can't disassemble a rom and just get binary data files that went into it. All that someone found so far is some ASCII coded text that says "DAVES CHEATS" embedded in a pile of bits. Digging through the rom with a hex viewer, or even with an application that can translate that to machine instructions, is a hell of an undertaking.

#35 Edited by bobafettjm (1440 posts) -

I really hope someone out there can figure this out.

#36 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3145 posts) -

Do honestly any of us really care about the code or do we really just want to see a fresh out of college Dave Lang chugging a fat pitcher of beer? If the GB crew can procure that pic I'd be cool.

#37 Edited by Damodar (1329 posts) -

Do honestly any of us really care about the code or do we really just want to see a fresh out of college Dave Lang chugging a fat pitcher of beer? If the GB crew can procure that pic I'd be cool.

I think the code is what makes it for me. It'd be funny to see the photos, but the idea of anybody with a copy of the game being able to access that is the real appeal for me. Plus, it's kind of a weird piece of video game history that would be preserved. Not expecting anything any time soon though, reverse engineering that stuff would be a hell of a challenge.

#38 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

So, has the crack team of engineers recovered the code yet?

#39 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@ravenlight: I think they forgot.
Like every other thing that seems to be popular it is now lost to the sea of.. some place where we forget, things.

#40 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Oh man, I'd love for someone to find this. I'm armed with a CompSci degree but hell naw screw assembly.

#41 Edited by gregSTORM (62 posts) -

I started off trying to find my way through the game's assembly, but I got lost almost instantly. I then turned to playing around with editing memory values to try to flip whatever bit caused the slideshow to run. I eventually found where the game was keeping track of the menus, and noticed that one of the values changed depending on which menu you were in. If you edit the value and select a menu on-screen, it would change to the menu corresponding with the memory value, regardless of what you select in the game. After plugging in a bunch of numbers into that address, eventually the slideshow appeared!

It's not as good as getting the code, but it can be accessed by using a gameshark with the code 8013CEBF 0038 and selecting any menu option. I did this with an emulator, so I'm not sure if it works on a N64 hardware.

#42 Edited by Benny (1950 posts) -
#43 Posted by Sarumarine (2211 posts) -

Nice. So the pictures have been found, but not the code to access the pictures? Well, halfway there I guess. Junk.bin still has some secrets to give up.

#44 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (731 posts) -

HUZZAH!

#45 Posted by Jeff (3463 posts) -
Staff
#46 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

That's fantastic.
Was gonna tweet it at Mr Langzone President but Jeff has that covered it seems.

#47 Edited by Bollard (5386 posts) -
#48 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

Fantastic. Someone get Lang on the phone. We need live commentary from Dave on this.

#49 Posted by Chaser324 (6389 posts) -

@gregstorm: Excellent work! You are the Game Shark!

#50 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@chaser324: maybe even a Game Shark Genie since what he did was also magical!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.