AI Companions

#1 Posted by Flushes (329 posts) -

The AI characters in this game are incredibly stupid and are destroying any semblance of enjoyment I can get out of the combat. If a boss does a screen-hitting super attack, your AI character is absolutely unable to block or evade it, and will get repeatedly killed. There is no way to make all of your characters defend in time to prevent this from happening. Unless I can find some way to remedy this, I am going to stop playing this game WELL before I even get halfway through it.

#2 Posted by Chicholas (25 posts) -

Yes, I completely agree however there is actually an ability you get that enables you to either "Defend for all" or "Attack for all" with the triangle an square buttons. Timing is crucial however it takes about a second for the defend stances to take effect. From my experience I realized that you have take control of them (more often) in order to perform certain tactics you want to achieve.

Also its a JRPG go grind somewhere, if the enemies are running away.....SHES TOO YOUNG FOR YOU BRO!

---SPOILERS (when exactly you get this ability)-------

you get the defend and attack stances after the first encounter with shadar when you get the ship

#3 Posted by project343 (2833 posts) -

@Chicholas said:

... there is actually an ability you get that enables you to either "Defend for all" or "Attack for all" with the triangle an square buttons.

Those additions to the combat system (about 10-15 hours into the game, sadly) changes everything. More than that, the AI has a better time with some familiars and a worse time with others. I found the IGN wiki guide to be really helpful for early game stuff.

#4 Posted by kishinfoulux (2397 posts) -

I was waiting for this topic to spring up. The AI is inexcusably bad in parts. It's funny seeing people DC it on other boards. I was cruising when it was just Oliver, but once Esther joined then it became a baby sitting/micro managing simulator.

For suggestions I gave her the monkey familiar so I can use Mite with Oliver and the monkey with her in tandem. They're a deadly duo. I also set her and Oliver to "Don't use abilities" during normal battles so she doesn't fucking waste all her damn MP. I've seen some suggest taking out the high costing abilities and slotting in lower costing ones so the AI doesn't burn through MP as much.

#5 Posted by project343 (2833 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

I was waiting for this topic to spring up. The AI is inexcusably bad in parts. It's funny seeing people DC it on other boards. I was cruising when it was just Oliver, but once Esther joined then it became a baby sitting/micro managing simulator.

For suggestions I gave her the monkey familiar so I can use Mite with Oliver and the monkey with her in tandem. They're a deadly duo. I also set her and Oliver to "Don't use abilities" during normal battles so she doesn't fucking waste all her damn MP. I've seen some suggest taking out the high costing abilities and slotting in lower costing ones so the AI doesn't burn through MP as much.

Setting her to support, and leveling her up a bit helps a lot. You're going to want to keep the penguin though. Dude turns into a goddamn beast as you level up. His spells are second-to-none.

The monkey is also a great choice for your third companion's set.

#6 Posted by Chicholas (25 posts) -

@project343 said:

I found the IGN wiki guide to be really helpful for early game stuff.

that guide is legit....THANKS!.....primo stuff man I got that "tin-man" (tank abilities) hes a lot better that gunther

What I really want to know is if there's a way to make the companions not grab the soul glims? cause that shit is annoying and they keep on grabbing them and performing heal abilities when I want to perform my "limit breaks" from oli or mitey. any light on the situation would be helpful.

#7 Posted by kishinfoulux (2397 posts) -

@project343 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Setting her to support, and leveling her up a bit helps a lot. You're going to want to keep the penguin though. Dude turns into a goddamn beast as you level up. His spells are second-to-none.

The monkey is also a great choice for your third companion's set.

She still has the penguin. I just set the monkey as the first one she tosses out. So the support tactic works okay then? I'll have to try that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.