Guiding Star On or Off?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

#2 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

This may sound silly, but you have the choice of whether the objective marker is on or off, what have you done?

I started with it on but I recently turned it off, it was about the time that I had to hunt down some enthusiasm. The way it works is the closer you are to somebody with some to spare it will glow green, but with the objective marker on it shows you exactly where the person is without having to look, which kin d of takes some of the fun out of it. There was also a quest before that involves finding three lost children, but each child was on the map glowing so you knew exactly where they were.

I don't mind having a vague objective marker but when it points out exactly where hidden stuff is it just seems to defeat the point.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

On because this isn't Skyrim where I want to meticulously explore the world. I want to get mah stamps so I can get goodies and train more monsters.

#4 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I got my first merit and bought jumping, was I suckered?

#5 Posted by TobbRobb (4732 posts) -

It just came out yesterday, so I haven't picked it up yet. But I'm very likely to just abuse the markers to get out into the field and/or story faster.

#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5630 posts) -

@Hizang: There's a funny article on Kotaku about the jumping. It is 100% useless, but fun.

#7 Edited by Shoobs (29 posts) -

I have it on as an indication of which way not to go at forks in the road, as to fully explore areas, meaning I won't have to double back to open all those pesky chests.

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -

@Hizang: You've got to buy all the merits eventually anyways to unlock the next batch.

#9 Posted by Marcsman (3227 posts) -

I left mine on.

#10 Posted by Sterling (2452 posts) -

@Shoobs said:

I have it on as an indication of which way not to go at forks in the road, as to fully explore areas, meaning I won't have to double back to open all those pesky chests.

This is why I like having it on also.

#11 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

I leave it off, the game hasn't presented anything so big that I would need something to point me in the right direction at all times so far. Though the argument of having it on so you know which way not to go is also a pretty good one. I just finished up the part where you're directed to go find the second town and I got to the end of the dungeon before I realized there was a fork I didn't explore and by the time I got back to the end of the dungeon I was getting frustrated at how much battles fluffed up the trip.

#12 Posted by DonChipotle (2783 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

@Hizang: There's a funny article on Kotaku about the jumping. It is 100% useless, but fun.

I wouldn't say 100% useless. In battle you an jump over some attacks and you can use it to move faster in towns and in stores.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15011 posts) -
@DonChipotle

@AlisterCat said:

I wouldn't say 100% useless. In battle you an jump over some attacks and you can use it to move faster in towns and in stores.

Yep in areas where your forced to walk you can jump to go a bit faster. It might be all in my head but I think it might be easier to catch fleeing mobs if you keep jumping while running.
#14 Posted by DonChipotle (2783 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@DonChipotle

@AlisterCat said:

Yep in areas where your forced to walk you can jump to go a bit faster. It might be all in my head but I think it might be easier to catch fleeing mobs if you keep jumping while running.

Coupled with the increased run speed merit, this is also true.

#15 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

@Shoobs said:

This is my reasoning. Having something show you where to go also shows you all the places you can go without advancing anything, to just explore or complete things. Same as in Fable 2 adding the bread crumb trail, people didn't like that it showed them which path to take, but I liked that it showed which paths were optional through elimination, so you could do those first.

#16 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

On. A lot of the exploration stuff is pretty obtuse and the worlds are small enough and have little interactions to warrant fully exploring stuff.

Hell, if you explore into the wrong area too early, the game punishes you for it.

#17 Edited by wemibelec90 (1740 posts) -

I've grown to really hate (some) older games, because they don't have functions like this. Call me a bit spoiled by quest markers, but I hate that feeling of wondering around for an hour trying to find the thing you need. I'd much rather just told where it is and save myself the trouble. In a perfect world with amazing level design, I might be able to go without. However, I have too many bad memories of PS1/PS2 games that didn't point out where to go and left me tearing my hair out.

#18 Posted by Patman99 (1608 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Hizang: You've got to buy all the merits eventually anyways to unlock the next batch.

Really?!?!? Man, I've been saving up like crazy waiting for the next tier....

#19 Posted by Sterling (2452 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Really?!?!? Man, I've been saving up like crazy waiting for the next tier....

Yeah, the next tier only unlocks when you have bought everything on the previous row.

#20 Posted by Hunter5024 (5806 posts) -

@wemibelec90 said:

I've grown to really hate (some) older games, because they don't have functions like this. Call me a bit spoiled by quest markers, but I hate that feeling of wondering around for an hour trying to find the thing you need. I'd much rather just told where it is and save myself the trouble. In a perfect world with amazing level design, I might be able to go without. However, I have too many bad memories of PS1/PS2 games that didn't point out where to go and left me tearing my hair out.

Yeah for older games of this type I usually have a walkthrough open, not to cruise my way through bosses or find all the hidden treasures, but just to save myself a little bit of time.

#21 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

@Shoobs said:

This is how I played the Bioshock games. It's great.

#22 Posted by Dchao (54 posts) -

I for one turned the guiding star off.

Nothing better than getting told "north east dear hero" and just setting sights in that direction.

#23 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

Turned the guiding star off. It just makes the exploration more fun and it makes me think what I should do next. The game already has a lot of hand-holding and usually, the dialogues are pretty obvious anyway on where you should go next so I'm fine with the guiding star off. :)

#24 Posted by Vanek (383 posts) -

I like having it on because it means I can never accidentally progress the story. I don't think I would get anything out of having it turned off and it doesn't stop me exploring.

#25 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5797 posts) -

I keep it on. Wondering where I have to is the last thing I want to worry about in a JRPG.

#26 Posted by Svenzon (722 posts) -

Mostly off. I turned it on again briefly last night after finding the egg in the Golden Grove, since I didn't understand what to do or where to go. Of course, it turned out to be fairly simple anyway.

#27 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

I have it on,at first I was debating if I should turn it off because the first few quest weren't that hard to find,but than after awhile it just became a challenge and with my marker on I thought to myself how long it would've taken with it off.

#28 Posted by Zeik (2537 posts) -

I beat the game with it off 99% of the time. There were a couple moments where I got lost and had to turn it on to figure out where to go, but for the most part I didn't need it. It was more fun to explore and discover things on my own.

#29 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

Another reason it's good to have it on is that a lot of times just approaching the star's area will trigger a cutscene or battle, and if you don't want to advance the story yet, or aren't ready for a boss battle that can be a real bummer. Plus the star doesn't point you to side missions, so you'll still have all of those to give you that sense of exploration.

#30 Posted by Zeik (2537 posts) -

@Damian: Those instances are pretty rare. Most of the time there is a save point beforehand to give you a clear indicator that a boss is coming up. The only times I recall getting caught off guard by a boss is when it happened in town, but a waypoint wouldn't have changed that.

#31 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

@Zeik: You're not wrong. Most of those are relegated to palaces, or the end of a dungeon (where it's pretty obvious because you just saved or it's a large, featureless room). But I still preferred to have the heads up. There are a few instances of "continue, or chicken out?" choices in the game, and that's one of those immersion-breaking things I'd rather avoid until I'm ready.

#32 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

@ExplodeMode said:

@Shoobs said:

This is my reasoning. Having something show you where to go also shows you all the places you can go without advancing anything, to just explore or complete things. Same as in Fable 2 adding the bread crumb trail, people didn't like that it showed them which path to take, but I liked that it showed which paths were optional through elimination, so you could do those first.

Yeah pretty much this for me, i like to know what is a story progress mission and what is a side mission. So you may lose the hunt to find something but i don't want to prematurely walk into a story mission or wonder where to go at any given time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.