How limited is the first run?

#1 Posted by Barrock (3540 posts) -

Curious if this game is just extremely limited in how many copies they made, or if it's just selling quite well.

Amazon won't ship it for 1-3 weeks, and the strategy guide is completely sold out from the looks of it.

#2 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I'm not sure. I know Gamestops/EB Games criminally understock a lot of more interesting titles, so this is no indication, but I bought this one location's only copy today, which means they couldn't have had more than like 5 or 10 copies to start with, if that.

If Amazon is back ordered though then that tells me weird things. I guess it's understandable. Niche developer, niche genre.

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I got the last copy at my Gamestop, and I picked it up earlier today.

#4 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

I don't know but if my experience says anything then it's probably really limited.

I went to two Best Buys and one Gamestop yesterday and didn't find a copy. Apparently none of these places stocked any copies at all because I checked the shelves and didn't see a price tag for it.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13220 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

I don't know but if my experience says anything then it's probably really limited.

I went to two Best Buys and one Gamestop yesterday and didn't find a copy. Apparently none of these places stocked any copies at all because I checked the shelves and didn't see a price tag for it.

The stores around here didn't stock Persona 4 Arena or Virtue's Last Reward, either. Amazon's been my go-to game store for awhile now.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

Its the #3 best seller on Amazon right now. So...yeah its popular. I'd say studio Ghibli's involvement gives this game prominence with people that it might not otherwise reach if it were any JRPG.

#7 Posted by BigDaddy81 (329 posts) -

Don't forget that the game is also available for download on the Playstation Store. A nice little trend for limited release games such as this.

I just wish I had sprung for the Wizard's Edition, but other recent games' collector's editions had left a bad taste in my mouth and so I avoided this one as well. Such is life.

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

You could always download it off psn.

#9 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

I went to my Best Buy today and they said they sold out right away. They said they should get a second shipment next week. I went to two gamestops and got the "sorry bro you should have pre-ordered" So I went home and ordered it from amazon. Amazon charged me and said it will be here Tuesday. I hope they are not lying to me.

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4372 posts) -

Hopefully it isn't that limited. All of the Gamestops in my area have a copy but I don't plan on buying until around spring break when I'm actually able to go home and grab my PS3.

#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7561 posts) -

@Sackmanjones said:

Yeah I would suggest this if you cannot find a retail copy.

#12 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. I don't have the money to buy it right now anyway, but when I do, I'd really like to have a physical copy.

#13 Posted by Kyelb22 (297 posts) -

My Best Buy got only 3 copies in. When I got in late on Tuesday, one copy was already gone, then I got one of the others. No one was even glanced at the last copy, though. I hope this game sells well, because it seems great for the few hours I've played of it.

#14 Posted by crimsinf (145 posts) -

I went to Best Buy today to pick this up. They didn't have any on the shelf and there was no price tag where they would have been. I (eventually) found some blue shirt who wandered into the gaming section and he had to go get one from the back. I didn't ask how many more they had. I've never heard of a new release game being held in the back with none on the shelves like this, though.

#15 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

All I know is that the people who ordered the Wizard's Edition are pissed off at Namco and Digital River, it seems the orders they recently restocked are getting cancelled.

#16 Posted by MeAuntieNora (538 posts) -

Best Buy didn't have a single copy. Game Stop had numerous stacks, front-facing and filling up one entire square glass gase. Kinda surprising and at least a little sweet that it might actually get the attention it deserves. Also a bit funny to see hold the same real estate as CODs past. Good for it though. I just hope enough customers know to be excited or investigate that tastefully monochromatic font treatment...

#17 Edited by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

@msavo said:

@Sackmanjones said:

Yeah I would suggest this if you cannot find a retail copy.

This was actually the first thing I was going to do, but the 21 GB download really turned me off of that. I mean doing that on Steam is one thing, but Sony's servers are slower than molasses going uphill in January.

@CCforUA said:

I went to Best Buy today to pick this up. They didn't have any on the shelf and there was no price tag where they would have been. I (eventually) found some blue shirt who wandered into the gaming section and he had to go get one from the back. I didn't ask how many more they had. I've never heard of a new release game being held in the back with none on the shelves like this, though.

That seems to happen a lot at big box retailers like Best Buy. They have a lot of shit to throw on shelves and I guess they don't exactly care about a game's release date unless they have to do some kind of midnight launch for it. I've had this happen often when shopping at Future Shop which is like Canadian Best Buy.

#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

I called three stores today and they were all out of copies. Luckily they were not stores in my area (I was out of town on errands at the time), so I'm hoping someone near me will have it.

#19 Posted by Dchao (54 posts) -

It's a shame when a good looking, unique game can't be found in shops. Yet thousand of copies of COD haunt the shelves of these establishments.

#20 Posted by Dayve86 (50 posts) -

I went around to every place that sells games in my area and no one had it. Had to download it off PSN.

#21 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -

@Coafi said:

All I know is that the people who ordered the Wizard's Edition are pissed off at Namco and Digital River, it seems the orders they recently restocked are getting cancelled.

From Namcobandaigames forum

Last edited by DigitalRiverCommunityRelations on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Official Post] Ni no Kuni Wizard's Edition: ClubNAMCO Order Issues (Digital River Response)

We apologize for the discrepancies you may have encountered with your order of NAMCO BANDAI’s Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ – Wizard’s Edition. As one of our valued customers, we want to assure you that a Digital River representative will be reaching out to you individually via email to address your specific issue. Should you wish to contact us, please call us at 952-392-2057. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we work through this situation.

Please read below for our Order FAQ's

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ – Wizard’s Edition FAQ

Why has my order been cancelled?
If your order(s) has been cancelled, we will be reaching out to you by email with additional information as soon as possible. Look for an email from namcobandai.en.cs@digitalriver.com. If you do not see the email, be sure to check in your junk or spam mail folders.

Why hasn’t my order shipped yet and when will it go out?
We apologize for the delay. Purchases now are being shipped. You will be sent an email confirmation as soon as your order has shipped. If we are unable to ship your purchase for any reason, we will contact you by email with additional information.

Can I still place an order?
Unfortunately, the product is sold out and we are unable to accept new orders.

Can I update my billing information?
If you have already placed an order and received an email notification that your payment information was not able to be authorized, please contact our Customer Service at 952-392-2057 for assistance.

Why was the product oversold?
Due to an error in our ordering system, the available inventory of Wizard’s Edition was oversold by mistake. We want you to know that Digital River does not take this situation lightly. We are implementing process improvements to prevent this issue from happening again and are committed to regaining your trust.

I'm one of those customers getting screwed by this whole Digitalriver problem. I thought the whole reason for their Ninostarter campaign was to get as many preorders for the Wizard edition as they could. Now they say that they oversold the game. From reading posts in other forums, this isn't the first time that Digitalriver has provided poor service.

#22 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

I pre-ordered at one GS but bought it at another. Might go pick up my pre-order and Ebay it....I dunno

#23 Posted by Petiew (1351 posts) -

It's out of stock on UK amazon, and it doesn't come out here until the 1st. They stopped offering the preorder bonus as of 2 days ago as well.
It probably has a somewhat limited first run, and more people than expected are buying it.

#24 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

@Muerthoz: We are in the same boat, buddy. This whole situation sucks, the thing is even though I received a cancellation email it still shows as a pending charge in my bank. My money is still being held by them and calling them seems useless since they just hang up on you or lie about the shipment.

#25 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

I was afraid this would happen but was able to get it on Tuesday. Only been able to play a bit so far.

#26 Posted by Marcsman (3209 posts) -

It's sold out in the Philly area. Glad I prepurchased mine. I'm loving it.............

#27 Posted by Marz (5655 posts) -

There will always be a digital version of the game on PSN so, limited by your hard drive space if you can't find a physical copy anywhere in the future.   It's not like Xenoblade where only gamestop and nintendo were selling them and now it's hard to find.

#28 Edited by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

I went into Gamestop around 11am on release day and got it, thankfully. (Didn't pre-order) It looked like they had about 10 copies behind the counter. Guy said people had been coming in all day to buy it. Three other people bought the game during the 15 minutes I was in there.

Does anyone know if they ever plan to release the book separately? I don't like reading off a T.V.

#29 Posted by Superkenon (1439 posts) -

I hope it'll be around a little while. My next couple of months are already spoken for, gaming-wise, so I was going to put it off for now.

Sigh. Maybe I'll just buy it now anyway.

#30 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

OH MAN. Digital River is the worst.

I placed my order the 17th and I got cancelled. Then at 2am the 24th I saw a link post on Gaf to Namco's website because suddenly the Wizard Edition was in stock again. I placed an order on that with the $20 off coupon Namco sent me, and just now I received an email with the shipping confirmation. I feel good I used that coupon, but I feel terrible for the 1,000 others who got their order cancelled.

#31 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

NewEgg has it in stock, As does OverStock. I suppose people just under bought it expecting it not to sell well due to the title.

Going to wait on a price drop personally due to time restriction but it's out there. Just gotta go looking for it!

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

@Muerthoz said:

@Coafi said:

From Namcobandaigames forum

Last edited by DigitalRiverCommunityRelations on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Official Post] Ni no Kuni Wizard's Edition: ClubNAMCO Order Issues (Digital River Response)

We apologize for the discrepancies you may have encountered with your order of NAMCO BANDAI’s Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ – Wizard’s Edition. As one of our valued customers, we want to assure you that a Digital River representative will be reaching out to you individually via email to address your specific issue. Should you wish to contact us, please call us at 952-392-2057. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we work through this situation.

Please read below for our Order FAQ's

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ – Wizard’s Edition FAQ

Why has my order been cancelled?
If your order(s) has been cancelled, we will be reaching out to you by email with additional information as soon as possible. Look for an email from namcobandai.en.cs@digitalriver.com. If you do not see the email, be sure to check in your junk or spam mail folders.

Why hasn’t my order shipped yet and when will it go out?
We apologize for the delay. Purchases now are being shipped. You will be sent an email confirmation as soon as your order has shipped. If we are unable to ship your purchase for any reason, we will contact you by email with additional information.

Can I still place an order?
Unfortunately, the product is sold out and we are unable to accept new orders.

Can I update my billing information?
If you have already placed an order and received an email notification that your payment information was not able to be authorized, please contact our Customer Service at 952-392-2057 for assistance.

Why was the product oversold?
Due to an error in our ordering system, the available inventory of Wizard’s Edition was oversold by mistake. We want you to know that Digital River does not take this situation lightly. We are implementing process improvements to prevent this issue from happening again and are committed to regaining your trust.

I'm one of those customers getting screwed by this whole Digitalriver problem. I thought the whole reason for their Ninostarter campaign was to get as many preorders for the Wizard edition as they could. Now they say that they oversold the game. From reading posts in other forums, this isn't the first time that Digitalriver has provided poor service.

Wow, that sucks mate. =(

#33 Posted by IzunaDrop (147 posts) -

EB Games (Gamestop) in Australia is only filling pre-orders with no floor stock. :( It's sad really, after all the localisation work.

Digitally, I hope this great work has a long tail. Although I predict I will get annoyed with how much level grinding is in it. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Lost Odyssey. We could have had something special.)

#34 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1250 posts) -

I went around to all the stores in my area and none of them had it. Best buy said they only had 2 copies. I ordered it off Amazon and should be getting it soon (paid extra for one day shipping though it said that it would ship a day or two later then expected).

#35 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

Guys, if you want the guide it's pretty limited almost every place is sold out. So, if you see it some place and you want it, don't hesitate you probably won't see it again.

#36 Posted by StarvingGamer (8287 posts) -

I finally found a GameStop near me that had it and did their whole reserve it for pickup online thingy. When i got there the guy told me that they usually never get any of the online hold requests they've been getting a ton of them for Ni No Kuni.

#37 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

I pre-ordered as im from the uk on amazon so i hope im sorted !

#38 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I'm glad it seems to be out performing expectations, whatever they were. It sends an awesome message. Luckily, if it ever gets rare you can just DL it.

Maybe namco will rethink localizing the PS3 version of Vesperia one of these days.

#39 Posted by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

I was able to order a copy today at around 1 am, and the copy shipped same day, 4 PM, and is already in UPS hands and will arrive tomorrow.

Going to probably sell it on ebay considering its going for 400$ right now.

#40 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

I ordered it from Amazon on Wednesday. They said it would take one to two weeks to get to my house when I placed the order. Today I got an e-mail it will be here Friday or Saturday. So that is pretty good.

#41 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3455 posts) -

I wouldn't worry too much about about the copy run of this game. This game is also on psn too so you won't be seeing any extortion prices for a copy of this on ebay or amazon.

#42 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I can predict one thing for sure. If you keep a shrink-wrapped mint condition copy of its special edition with the wizard's book, that'll double in market value within a year, and will be a highly sought after collector's item, that'll only increase in value. I missed my opportunity to invest, but then again, I'm no gambling man.

Should've stockpiled a houndred copies for a year, for a whopping 10k profit.

#43 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft:

Outside of Amazon that means a brand new copy will probably never drop down below the PSN price. Also I doubt this will get many prints. The Target I work at only has 1 copy of the game after selling at least 4? And those were sold far enough behind that we should've gotten new copies in but nothing. So looks like all retail stores got low stock of it. Probably wouldn't give it more than another print. Sad truth when it comes to niche JRPG games. If it ain't Resident Evil or Call of Duty/Skyrim fuck printing them.

I'm still waiting on that Atelier Meruru copy I ordered from Amazon on the 28th of December. Don't want a tainted Gamestop copy or some poorly handled used copy. Stupid limited runs.

#44 Edited by John1912 (1892 posts) -

Yea, dont think target or walmart sell it in store. Tried to get it at my normal GS store today. They had two copies, both had been reserved.Think those were delivered today after selling out on Tues. A bunch of other gamestops have a few to bunch of copies thou in my area. Its actually crazy how many gamespots my area has. Doesnt seem crazy hard to come by but one of the most limited releases I can think of in a long ass time,

#45 Posted by Petiew (1351 posts) -
@Yadilie said:

I'm still waiting on that Atelier Meruru copy I ordered from Amazon on the 28th of December. Don't want a tainted Gamestop copy or some poorly handled used copy. Stupid limited runs.

They've taken almost a month to send the game out to you? That's crazy. Was it through a 3rd party seller?
#46 Edited by Yadilie (380 posts) -

@Petiew said:

@Yadilie said:

They've taken almost a month to send the game out to you? That's crazy. Was it through a 3rd party seller?

It's from Amazon themselves and it's still not shipped. I think this is basdically saying that Amazon has not gotten another copy of the game themselves and have no abiilty to but they haven't gotten around to taking themselves off the list of prospective sellers.

Ultimate sad face.

@John1912:

Targets do sell it in store. At the store I work at they have it on the main PS3 shelf and on one of the islands on the front endcap. We just haven't gotten a single copy since the first batch our DCs sent us. Didn't see the name in tomorrows DCPI either. Just seems like a game that is going to have a "big" first print and maybe a smaller 2nd and then be done for awhile, unless it Greatest Hits.

#47 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

The Prima guide I ordered through an Amazon third-party just got canceled. People are now selling them for $100+. Ordered again from Barnes&Nobles. Here's hoping...

#48 Posted by TheeGravedigger (93 posts) -

Of the 15 or so Future shop and Best Buy stores in my area, there were about 5 copies available for reserve and pickup. I tried to reserve a copy, and it failed twice. Third time I managed to get one, at a store about an hour away. But, it was worth it, I'm really enjoying it.

Also, fuck EB Games. "We only hold games for 48 hours, so check back on thursday, unless we've decided to violate store policy and hold the game for longer."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.