Ni no Kuni on sale, $9.79 with PS+

#1 Edited by jasonefmonk (336 posts) -

Just wanted to let anyone know who may not have noticed.

The PSN sale price is $13.99, with PS+ it's $9.79. It was $55-60 at launch. The download is around 22GB but is oddly in two parts.

I was always interested in this game and getting another JRPG, but had other things to play. This deep discount came at a great time, personally.

#2 Posted by Quemador (162 posts) -

yeah i heard a lot of good things about this game....but man i need to finish persona 4 golden and those JRPGs can be really long.

#3 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (5797 posts) -

Good grief, that's an absurdly good price for a hell of a good game. Right now it's my frontrunner for my personal GOTY. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I really can't recommend it enough.

#4 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

I was waiting all day yesterday for the store to update only to discover that it is physically impossible for that game to fit on my hard drive. I was really bummed and downloaded Grid 2. Not a fair trade

#5 Posted by believer258 (11043 posts) -

I hope this game stays on sale 'til Friday, I'd like to play it.

#6 Posted by CrocBox (46 posts) -

Total steal except for that whole being 22 gigs in size thing. Yikes.

#7 Posted by djou (828 posts) -

I foolishly bought this from Newegg last week for $15, wish I would have waited, but I don't regret buying it at all.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (3735 posts) -

Hmmm... at 22 gigs I might want the disc instead.

#9 Posted by __pb__ (15 posts) -

This game is great - like playing a Miyazaki movie with elements of Pokemon (combat heavily involves adorable creatures you capture and raise). I'm sad that this rapid price drop implies that the game didn't sell well.

#10 Posted by oldenglishC (858 posts) -

Seems about the right price.

Outside of Dark Cloud 2 (which was greeeaat!); Level-5 likes to make games that aren't really good or bad, just kind of baseline average.

#11 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4443 posts) -

I just finished the game a couple of weeks ago after slowly making my way through it since February(I think that's when it came out?). I absolutely adore the game and am glad I was able to finish it, given I very rarely finish Jrpgs these days. I think the last one I actually finished was Tales of Vesperia.

Anyways, I recommend the game to anybody here that's thinking about giving a Jrpg another go. I know I've read you can finish it much earlier than this, but it took me 80 hours to complete the game. That's with me doing a hell of a lot of side quests and grinding though. Although I found the combat got a little to mundane after a while(Like most Jrpgs I've played), I just took a break and came back refreshed later on. I've found that's really the best way to actually finish these types of games. All in all, I love the game. I laughed, cried and felt the same familiarity I do with the Ghibli movies. The game easily made my top 10 this year.

I'd also like to point out that the game supports the Dualshock 4. Unfortunately, that's something I found out about only after I finished the game.

#12 Edited by LutonHatter (323 posts) -

Might have to create myself a US PSN account just for this.

Is PSN Cards still the only way to get funds in to a US PSN account?

#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (4479 posts) -

Bought it, no clue when I'll DL it; 3rd on the JRPG list behind XIII-2 and Nier.

#14 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

!!!!! ARRGH

#15 Posted by StrainedEyes (1310 posts) -

I hope this game stays on sale 'til Friday, I'd like to play it.

It's part of the weekly holiday deal, so you're good until next week.

#16 Edited by Flappy (2034 posts) -

I...I don't know if I should buy it.

I'm probably going to buy it.

#17 Posted by rachelepithet (1253 posts) -

I picked up all the PSOne Final Fantasy games when they were on sale last and never played them, so I dunno about this. Plus I got Persona 3 when it was a free Plus game.

For those who played this, do you really need that Wizards Edition book to not be up a creek without a paddle in this game?

#18 Posted by DonChipotle (2655 posts) -

I picked up all the PSOne Final Fantasy games when they were on sale last and never played them, so I dunno about this. Plus I got Persona 3 when it was a free Plus game.

For those who played this, do you really need that Wizards Edition book to not be up a creek without a paddle in this game?

You don't need the physical book at all.

#19 Posted by Solh0und (1680 posts) -

22 Gigs is quite a lot. Might get it on disc instead.

#20 Posted by vikingdeath1 (902 posts) -

Great price for a Great game!

But yeah, 22 gig download, Disk is way easier.

#21 Posted by Rihanna (81 posts) -

I think a digital version of the book is in the game. Brad showed some of it in the QL.

I beat the game, but can't remember if I ever needed to refer to the book.

#23 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4443 posts) -
@rihanna said:

@boocreepyfootdoctor said:

I think a digital version of the book is in the game. Brad showed some of it in the QL.

I beat the game, but can't remember if I ever needed to refer to the book.

There's a side character you meet throughout the game named Horace. He basically gives you riddles, the answers of which are in the wizard's companion. He's sort of there to give you an extra incentive to look through it. Throughout the game you also unlock these really cool short fable stories that give further insight to the world. There's a lot of really beneficial information in the Wizard's companion and I'd definitely recommend to those starting the game give it a look, although I'm pretty sure it was never required to progress through the game.

I can also confirm there is an in game copy of the book in question. You don't need to acquire the physical copy.

#24 Posted by Peanut (952 posts) -

Insane price for one of the best games of the generation.

#25 Posted by mosespippy (3735 posts) -

@lutonhatter: Last month PayPal support was added via the Sony website. It's not built into the consoles yet. You should be able to get US currency into a US account that way but I haven't tried yet.

#26 Posted by Petiew (1278 posts) -

That's a worthwhile price for Ni no Kuni. It's a good/decent game with a few too many problems.

#27 Posted by CornBREDX (4456 posts) -

Ya I bought it when it was $19 which is the standard price for it on PSN now. It's worth more, but I couldn't get it when it first came out.

The game is fun and kind of reminds me of a mash up of a lot of different JRPGs, especially classic ones. It's worth checking out if you want something to last a while.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (13853 posts) -

One of the absolutely best JRPGs Ive played in a long while. Its a game who's sincere earnest nature is refreshing among a sea of cynicism and overly used "dark and gritty" scenery in games. Its refreshing, fun and lighthearted. Couldn't recommend more.

#29 Posted by LutonHatter (323 posts) -

@mosespippy: Just tried that, sadly it checks my PayPal billing address when you try to add funds. So looks like I'll have to pop to ebay to buy a US PS network card.

#30 Posted by Pr1mus (3513 posts) -

Haven't liked a single JRPG since FFXII. Before that it was easily my favorite genre for a good 10-15 years. Maybe this is the game i've been looking for.

#31 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (380 posts) -

This game was great! I wrote a review for it awhile back.

#32 Posted by TheBlue (179 posts) -

I got this and I'm super excited to play it, but damn, it took me about a day to download it.

#33 Posted by camagee (1 posts) -

I've wanted to play this for a while...the price was just too good to resist..it'll prob be free on ps plus next month...but who cares ...they deserve some money for such a game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.