Ni no Kuni Should Have Been For Me...

Posted by Jigenese (30 posts) -

I haven’t played a JRPG for some time, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to. I skipped FFXIII because it just didn’t look like the type of game that I wanted to play at the time. Then, after hearing all the bad about it, I decided to not give it a try. I still haven’t played it and have no plans. So, what happened to my once strong love of JRPGs? I just don’t think most of them live up to the higher standards that modern games achieve now.

Now we have Ni no Kuni. Produced by Level 5 in collaboration with Ghibili Studios. From what I’ve heard this seems to be a good marriage of the two. I love Ghibili Studio films, even though I don’t particularly like anime. Ghibili studio films just seem to add the depth, heart, mystery, and fantasy that Pixar has to traditional animated films - something Disney films never had was the originality in their fantasy and storytelling that Ghibili Studios and Pixar found (in different ways of course, but still they set themselves above Disney in this way).

A Ghibili Studio co-produced game excited me a lot. I almost ran right out to buy it, but instead waited to see the review and the quick look instead. Initial reviews are favorable and the quick look showed a game that I could probably get into.

HOWEVER, I don’t think I can play the game. And, for a very strange reason. During the quick look, at the part where the the little stuffed animal comes to life, I couldn’t get over the damn lantern pierced to its nose... You know that feeling you get when something is floating near your eyes or just in front of your nose? I started to get that uncomfortable sensation, and it wouldn’t go away. No, it actually kept growing stronger as the scene unfolded. It got to the point that I started getting nauseated and kept yelling out, get that thing off your damn face!!!

I tried watching it again a little later, but with the same result. I don’t think I can do it. I don’t think I will be able to play this game. I’m disappointed that I physically won’t be able to play a game that I’ve been looking forward to for such a strange reason. I don’t fault the artists; it seems like a simple enough anime troupe to put a strange piercing in a strange place, but it just ruined the game for me... Oh well, I’ll have to find something else to play until the big games start to come out in March. I still haven’t played Giant Bomb’s game of the year, XCOM yet, maybe I’ll play that instead. Any aliens with strange, overly-large nose piercings in XCOM?

#1 Posted by Jigenese (30 posts) -

I haven’t played a JRPG for some time, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to. I skipped FFXIII because it just didn’t look like the type of game that I wanted to play at the time. Then, after hearing all the bad about it, I decided to not give it a try. I still haven’t played it and have no plans. So, what happened to my once strong love of JRPGs? I just don’t think most of them live up to the higher standards that modern games achieve now.

Now we have Ni no Kuni. Produced by Level 5 in collaboration with Ghibili Studios. From what I’ve heard this seems to be a good marriage of the two. I love Ghibili Studio films, even though I don’t particularly like anime. Ghibili studio films just seem to add the depth, heart, mystery, and fantasy that Pixar has to traditional animated films - something Disney films never had was the originality in their fantasy and storytelling that Ghibili Studios and Pixar found (in different ways of course, but still they set themselves above Disney in this way).

A Ghibili Studio co-produced game excited me a lot. I almost ran right out to buy it, but instead waited to see the review and the quick look instead. Initial reviews are favorable and the quick look showed a game that I could probably get into.

HOWEVER, I don’t think I can play the game. And, for a very strange reason. During the quick look, at the part where the the little stuffed animal comes to life, I couldn’t get over the damn lantern pierced to its nose... You know that feeling you get when something is floating near your eyes or just in front of your nose? I started to get that uncomfortable sensation, and it wouldn’t go away. No, it actually kept growing stronger as the scene unfolded. It got to the point that I started getting nauseated and kept yelling out, get that thing off your damn face!!!

I tried watching it again a little later, but with the same result. I don’t think I can do it. I don’t think I will be able to play this game. I’m disappointed that I physically won’t be able to play a game that I’ve been looking forward to for such a strange reason. I don’t fault the artists; it seems like a simple enough anime troupe to put a strange piercing in a strange place, but it just ruined the game for me... Oh well, I’ll have to find something else to play until the big games start to come out in March. I still haven’t played Giant Bomb’s game of the year, XCOM yet, maybe I’ll play that instead. Any aliens with strange, overly-large nose piercings in XCOM?

#2 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

That's odd, man. Sorry to hear it, though. Are they any other games or movies that give you that feeling?

#3 Posted by Morningstar (2149 posts) -

That's really odd, yeah. Shame for you, but there are plenty of other games out there. And februart/march will be packed with new games.

#4 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -

This is one of the most strangest reasons for not playing this game.

#5 Posted by notdavid (836 posts) -

That's the weirdest god damn reason for not playing a game I ever heard.

#6 Edited by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -
#7 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

ok....

#8 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1422 posts) -

Think back to when you were a child.....

#9 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

I dont get nauseous, but that lantern is really fucking dumb. I can't stand it.

Still gonna play this awesome game though!

#10 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
You know that feeling you get when something is floating near your eyes or just in front of your nose?

You know they say it's bad to go cold turkey off your meds, right?

#11 Posted by Jigenese (30 posts) -

All that commented: Yeah I know this is stupid-strange. When I told my friend, who was going to let me borrow the game, he just looked at me with a blank stare. I don't think he knew how to respond either. It's the strangest thing. McGhee - I gave up my meds a long time ago; I'm clean. I swear... haha. Thanks for the comments. Maybe I'll need to get a little inebriated in order to play this game. Hope you all enjoy it for me though.

#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

That is unfortunate but I see where you are coming from.

#13 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

Huh... well, sorry to hear that duder. The game looks awesome. I'd love to play it but unfortunately I just don't have the time to devote to a game of this length right now.

#14 Edited by Jrinswand (1702 posts) -

I really wasn't expecting the OP to turn out the way it did. Sounds like you need psychiatric help, duder.

#15 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#16 Posted by Jigenese (30 posts) -

Joshthebear = perfect reply!

#17 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Thats odd, but each to his own I suppose.

#18 Posted by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@Jigenese: Maybe try playing it for a while and see how you deal with it. Being in control might help you get past it.

#19 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

#20 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1610 posts) -

Pretend it's a clip-on.

#21 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

If it makes you feel better, if you look at Drippy, he wouldn't be able to see it anyways. His eyes are at such an angle that even if he looked all the way to the left or all the way to the right with one of them he still wouldn't be able to see it. So maybe if you knew that the character wouldn't see it the way you think he's seeing it, you could play the game without fear!

#22 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

@Catolf said:

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

#23 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@notdavid

That's the weirdest god damn reason for not playing a game I ever heard.

#24 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Cover the lantern with your hand everytime it comes on screen. Maybe that will fix it.

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14732 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg: Glorious.

#26 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (452 posts) -

Yeah that weird but, hey you have your reasons...just cant help but thinking that this is more attention seeking than anything else. Its like you see everyone getting really excited about a game, and found the first thing to pick at just to burst our bubble.

That lantern is pretty stupid.

#27 Posted by AssInAss (2600 posts) -

I don't think anyone could have figured this would be the reason. Do you get freaked out by piercings in general, or just in this case where it looks weird on a cute character? I mean Studio Ghibli have some weird and nightmare-fuel designs.

#28 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

I...think I know the feeling you're describing but I can't imagine getting it from just seeing something having a thing dangling in front of its face.

#29 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Catolf said:

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

Yup.

#30 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

yeah it bothers me too. at first I was confused about whether it was a piercing or he was just holding it elephant trunk style. then I saw the quicklook and saw that it is, in fact, hooked to a ring pierced through his snout.

i would have preferred elephant trunk holding. that would have been less weird.

#31 Posted by Jigenese (30 posts) -

Mark Wahlberg - if that's who you really are, I loved The Fighter;) Great addition. Except, it has to be in front of his eyes. Damn that piercing!

#32 Posted by Sanity (1896 posts) -

Im also anti lantern piercing, get that thing off!

Not sure if im going to get this myself yet or not, though my reasons are mainly because i already have a bunch of stuff i should be playing.

#33 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3789 posts) -

I was trying to think of a witty reply... but

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Catolf said:

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

#34 Posted by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

this reminds me of that scene from Misery

#35 Posted by Meltac (2001 posts) -

@Jigenese said:

It got to the point that I started getting nauseated and kept yelling out, get that thing off your damn face!!!

Haha, that's too funny!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.