Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 17, 2011

A role-playing game developed by Level-5 and animated sequences produced by Studio Ghibli Inc.

Ni no Kuni Should Have Been For Me...

jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Edited By jigenese

I haven’t played a JRPG for some time, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to. I skipped FFXIII because it just didn’t look like the type of game that I wanted to play at the time. Then, after hearing all the bad about it, I decided to not give it a try. I still haven’t played it and have no plans. So, what happened to my once strong love of JRPGs? I just don’t think most of them live up to the higher standards that modern games achieve now.

Now we have Ni no Kuni. Produced by Level 5 in collaboration with Ghibili Studios. From what I’ve heard this seems to be a good marriage of the two. I love Ghibili Studio films, even though I don’t particularly like anime. Ghibili studio films just seem to add the depth, heart, mystery, and fantasy that Pixar has to traditional animated films - something Disney films never had was the originality in their fantasy and storytelling that Ghibili Studios and Pixar found (in different ways of course, but still they set themselves above Disney in this way).

A Ghibili Studio co-produced game excited me a lot. I almost ran right out to buy it, but instead waited to see the review and the quick look instead. Initial reviews are favorable and the quick look showed a game that I could probably get into.

HOWEVER, I don’t think I can play the game. And, for a very strange reason. During the quick look, at the part where the the little stuffed animal comes to life, I couldn’t get over the damn lantern pierced to its nose... You know that feeling you get when something is floating near your eyes or just in front of your nose? I started to get that uncomfortable sensation, and it wouldn’t go away. No, it actually kept growing stronger as the scene unfolded. It got to the point that I started getting nauseated and kept yelling out, get that thing off your damn face!!!

I tried watching it again a little later, but with the same result. I don’t think I can do it. I don’t think I will be able to play this game. I’m disappointed that I physically won’t be able to play a game that I’ve been looking forward to for such a strange reason. I don’t fault the artists; it seems like a simple enough anime troupe to put a strange piercing in a strange place, but it just ruined the game for me... Oh well, I’ll have to find something else to play until the big games start to come out in March. I still haven’t played Giant Bomb’s game of the year, XCOM yet, maybe I’ll play that instead. Any aliens with strange, overly-large nose piercings in XCOM?

jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jigenese

I haven’t played a JRPG for some time, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to. I skipped FFXIII because it just didn’t look like the type of game that I wanted to play at the time. Then, after hearing all the bad about it, I decided to not give it a try. I still haven’t played it and have no plans. So, what happened to my once strong love of JRPGs? I just don’t think most of them live up to the higher standards that modern games achieve now.

Now we have Ni no Kuni. Produced by Level 5 in collaboration with Ghibili Studios. From what I’ve heard this seems to be a good marriage of the two. I love Ghibili Studio films, even though I don’t particularly like anime. Ghibili studio films just seem to add the depth, heart, mystery, and fantasy that Pixar has to traditional animated films - something Disney films never had was the originality in their fantasy and storytelling that Ghibili Studios and Pixar found (in different ways of course, but still they set themselves above Disney in this way).

A Ghibili Studio co-produced game excited me a lot. I almost ran right out to buy it, but instead waited to see the review and the quick look instead. Initial reviews are favorable and the quick look showed a game that I could probably get into.

HOWEVER, I don’t think I can play the game. And, for a very strange reason. During the quick look, at the part where the the little stuffed animal comes to life, I couldn’t get over the damn lantern pierced to its nose... You know that feeling you get when something is floating near your eyes or just in front of your nose? I started to get that uncomfortable sensation, and it wouldn’t go away. No, it actually kept growing stronger as the scene unfolded. It got to the point that I started getting nauseated and kept yelling out, get that thing off your damn face!!!

I tried watching it again a little later, but with the same result. I don’t think I can do it. I don’t think I will be able to play this game. I’m disappointed that I physically won’t be able to play a game that I’ve been looking forward to for such a strange reason. I don’t fault the artists; it seems like a simple enough anime troupe to put a strange piercing in a strange place, but it just ruined the game for me... Oh well, I’ll have to find something else to play until the big games start to come out in March. I still haven’t played Giant Bomb’s game of the year, XCOM yet, maybe I’ll play that instead. Any aliens with strange, overly-large nose piercings in XCOM?

sevenLiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sevenLiter

That's odd, man. Sorry to hear it, though. Are they any other games or movies that give you that feeling?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By morningstar

That's really odd, yeah. Shame for you, but there are plenty of other games out there. And februart/march will be packed with new games.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Coafi

This is one of the most strangest reasons for not playing this game.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By notdavid

That's the weirdest god damn reason for not playing a game I ever heard.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    No Caption Provided
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

ok....

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ghost_cat

Think back to when you were a child.....

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TobbRobb

I dont get nauseous, but that lantern is really fucking dumb. I can't stand it.

Still gonna play this awesome game though!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By McGhee
    You know that feeling you get when something is floating near your eyes or just in front of your nose?

You know they say it's bad to go cold turkey off your meds, right?

jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jigenese

All that commented: Yeah I know this is stupid-strange. When I told my friend, who was going to let me borrow the game, he just looked at me with a blank stare. I don't think he knew how to respond either. It's the strangest thing. McGhee - I gave up my meds a long time ago; I'm clean. I swear... haha. Thanks for the comments. Maybe I'll need to get a little inebriated in order to play this game. Hope you all enjoy it for me though.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That is unfortunate but I see where you are coming from.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By deox

Huh... well, sorry to hear that duder. The game looks awesome. I'd love to play it but unfortunately I just don't have the time to devote to a game of this length right now.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jrinswand

I really wasn't expecting the OP to turn out the way it did. Sounds like you need psychiatric help, duder.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshthebear
    jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jigenese

Joshthebear = perfect reply!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

Thats odd, but each to his own I suppose.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikey87144

@Jigenese: Maybe try playing it for a while and see how you deal with it. Being in control might help you get past it.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Catolf

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Pretend it's a clip-on.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By MistaSparkle

If it makes you feel better, if you look at Drippy, he wouldn't be able to see it anyways. His eyes are at such an angle that even if he looked all the way to the left or all the way to the right with one of them he still wouldn't be able to see it. So maybe if you knew that the character wouldn't see it the way you think he's seeing it, you could play the game without fear!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Catolf said:

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WMWA
    @notdavid

That's the weirdest god damn reason for not playing a game I ever heard.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Joeyoe31

Cover the lantern with your hand everytime it comes on screen. Maybe that will fix it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi

@MarkWahlberg: Glorious.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Krockett

Yeah that weird but, hey you have your reasons...just cant help but thinking that this is more attention seeking than anything else. Its like you see everyone getting really excited about a game, and found the first thing to pick at just to burst our bubble.

That lantern is pretty stupid.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By AssInAss

I don't think anyone could have figured this would be the reason. Do you get freaked out by piercings in general, or just in this case where it looks weird on a cute character? I mean Studio Ghibli have some weird and nightmare-fuel designs.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#28  Edited By jacksukeru

I...think I know the feeling you're describing but I can't imagine getting it from just seeing something having a thing dangling in front of its face.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Catolf said:

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

Yup.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HerbieBug

yeah it bothers me too. at first I was confused about whether it was a piercing or he was just holding it elephant trunk style. then I saw the quicklook and saw that it is, in fact, hooked to a ring pierced through his snout.

i would have preferred elephant trunk holding. that would have been less weird.

jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jigenese

Mark Wahlberg - if that's who you really are, I loved The Fighter;) Great addition. Except, it has to be in front of his eyes. Damn that piercing!

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sanity

Im also anti lantern piercing, get that thing off!

Not sure if im going to get this myself yet or not, though my reasons are mainly because i already have a bunch of stuff i should be playing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I was trying to think of a witty reply... but

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Catolf said:

@joshthebear said:

Yup.

Avatar image for videogamesarenotart
    videogamesarenotart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this reminds me of that scene from Misery

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Meltac

@Jigenese said:

It got to the point that I started getting nauseated and kept yelling out, get that thing off your damn face!!!

Haha, that's too funny!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.