The mark of a good JRPG.(in my opinion)

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3330 posts) -

A mark that Ni no Kuni has, Dragon Quest 8 had, Suikoden 4 had, all JRPGs that I actually finished...

A first person free look mode. I don't know why but when a JRPG doesn't have that feature I'm far less likely to finish it.

Anyone else care about that or is it just me. I wont be surprised if its just me, I'm not normal.

#2 Posted by Raven10 (1767 posts) -

Nope can't say I'm with you on that one. Some games need free look modes, but I can't say I would want it in a JRPG.

#3 Posted by Brendan (7775 posts) -

I've never thought about it, or cared about it.

#4 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

I've seen it as an oddity but definitely not the mark of much, aside from a developer that had to find a use for the select button.

#5 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Not finishing it because there is not first person mode?

I am baffled to say the least...

#6 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

i dunno, there's plenty of good 2D JRPG's that your missing out on.

#7 Posted by Turambar (6742 posts) -

Ni No Kuni has a first person free look mode?

#8 Edited by Driadon (2997 posts) -

You had me up until you said "A first person free look mode."

@Turambar said:

Ni No Kuni has a first person free look mode?

I believe it's from clicking in one of the sticks, only applicable when not in the over world map. Used it once to stare at Drippy for a minute, haven't used it since.

#9 Posted by Zeik (2386 posts) -

I think including Suikoden 4 in that list will kind of counteract your point for a lot of people. (Even though I thought it was okay. Definitely the weakest Suikoden though.)

There are times when it's a nice feature, especially when you've got nice environments to look at, but it's hardly a feature I look for or even particularly care about in RPGs.

#10 Edited by EXTomar (4687 posts) -

I don't know about that. I would say a "solid but quick game loop" helps any RPG let alone a JRPG which it feels like Ni No Kuni has.

#11 Posted by Sanity (1900 posts) -

Never really felt it was a necessity but i suppose it helps, though i usually find more glaring issues then that with most JRPGS now days, im happy this is not the case with Ni No Kuni.

#12 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

My mark of a good JRPG: random battles are actually anticipated and not dreaded

#13 Posted by Flappy (2202 posts) -

Suikoden 4? Eh...That's pushing it. Then again, that was the first game in the series that I managed to get all 108 stars in.

You might be onto something!

#14 Posted by Slag (4261 posts) -

@Devil240Z: I am definitely with you.

A big part of the fun for me in old school JRPGs is exploring worlds, which means I want to look at the scenery. Much easier to do with first person free view.

I am not with you about Suikoden IV, that game was no bueno.

#15 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

Never really bothered me, as the quality of a game for mine doesn't rely on whether there is a free look button or not. I would prefer gameplay, combat, story, etc. and whether the game as a whole is enjoyable and fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.