We need to talk about puns, guys.

#1 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

...and how Goddamned amazing the ones in Ni No Kuni are. The world is full of them, such as the Cat King being referred to as "his meowjesty," but my favorite source of clever (well...) wordplay in the game comes in the form of familiars. Each familiar has what amounts to a species name, but you also get to name each individual familiar that you acquire, similar to how you can catch a Pikachu, and then name it whatever you want in the Pokemon games. The difference in Ni No Kuni is that the game will suggest awesome punny names for your familiars. Here are some of my favorites.

Sasquish (a snowmonster) - "Squishmael"
Spike Tyke (a spear-wielding little dude) - Tyke Myson
Knightingale (a chicken-like bird with a knight's helmet on his head)
Turban Legend (a turban-adorned magician) - Leguizamo (Ok, I don't get this one, but it still seems note-worthy)
Puss in Boats (a swashbuckling kitten) - Purrcival

I encourage you all to peruse the familiar page in the Ni No Kuni wiki for even more names. What are some of your favorites?

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (13851 posts) -

@spoonman671: I've got a Dinoceros (sort of a bipedal dinosaur) called Dinomite which is amazing. And yes the puns are great.

#3 Edited by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

Maybe my avatar gives it away, but this game's localization was really right up my alley.

#4 Edited by Petiew (1278 posts) -

Teeny Bopper is pretty good. Turban Legend and Puss in Boats/Bouts are some of my favourites too. It's the same localisers as Dragon Quest, right? Sometimes a little over the top, but they really add a lot of charm to games.

#5 Edited by TheHT (10274 posts) -

hah, Tyke Myson.

#6 Posted by FLStyle (4396 posts) -

Tidy, there's amusing forum thread for you.

#7 Posted by MaFoLu (1854 posts) -

Fur real?
I wish I was just kitten, but I really can't handle anymore puns right meow.

Really though, some of those puns are really quite purrfect.

#8 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

@petiew said:

Teeny Bopper is pretty good. Turban Legend and Puss in Boats/Bouts are some of my favourites too. It's the same localisers as Dragon Quest, right? Sometimes a little over the top, but they really add a lot of charm to games.

I think I remember the guys on 8-4 Play saying it was the same group/person doing the localization, but I may be mistaken.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

Man. Those are pretty great. I especially love Squishmael. I need to get this game.

#10 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (427 posts) -

I love King Tom and How they refer to him as "His Meowjesty"

#11 Edited by Meltac (1901 posts) -

Jeepers!

#12 Edited by Linkster7 (1002 posts) -

Yes, it hiss as bad as howl that.

#13 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

You've cat to be kitten meow.

#14 Edited by D_Bones (362 posts) -

@demoskinos: my dinoceros was named dean...so I named the next one sam to make my Supernatural combo.

#15 Edited by Krullban (982 posts) -

Those are pretty punny.

#16 Edited by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

The puns just got on my tits after awhile because they lay it hard literally all the way through the game. It's lovably at the start but oh my. The lack of voice acting also doesn't help.

#17 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -
@mafolu said:

Fur real?

I wish I was just kitten, but I really can't handle anymore puns right meow.

Really though, some of those puns are really quite purrfect.

I hate you.

#18 Posted by TohruAdachi (261 posts) -

Lets see... I named my Dinoceros Dinocereal? :D

#19 Posted by BisonHero (5662 posts) -

Goddammit, Puss in Boats is great, and it's not even a nickname. Those goddamn Dragon Quest localizers, and their pun mastery.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.