Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 17, 2011

A role-playing game developed by Level-5 and animated sequences produced by Studio Ghibli Inc.

What are the best familiars?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

I'm 10 hours in and I'm at the point now where I need to make choices about what familiars to have.
    Reccomend me some good ones.

TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TohruAdachi

Actually I think the point when you really have to decide on familiars is probably when you're about to beat the game or after you beat the game. At the point you are I just stuck with my Mite and Lemur,and depending on which familiar you got from the Trials I stuck with the Sea Nyiad,and than I caught a Purrloiner for the fast speed and attack. I'm just listing the ones I mainly used by the way.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By yoshimitz707

Purrloiner is a good replacement for Mite until you can get a Dinoceros.

TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TohruAdachi

@yoshimitz707:I'd still keep a Mite in my opinion for the other guy,I personally didn't like using Gunther for the new guy.

Oh I forgot! Catch a Deep Fry if you want too,I used it for awhile because of it's speed and it looks funny.

pepperzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pepperzz

@yoshimitz707 said:

Purrloiner is a good replacement for Mite until you can get a Dinoceros.

This is truth. My cat was an unstoppable pirate-cat until I got a couple of dinos. :D

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marcsman

I'm at level 20 and still using Mitey the Mite.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @TohruAdachi But the problem is that Mite's stats are terrible compared to what I mention. You'd just be making the game harder using him.
    Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Sterling

Once you get a Dinoceros there is no point in using anything else.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uniform

Notables I'm running with are Puss in Bouts, Puss in Boats, Catastroceros, Tokotocold. I'm very overleveled, so I'm not getting a real sense of how great these familiars are. The Purrloiners just feel good to use with their fast attack speed. Like feline rogues.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zeik

I didn't bother with Dinoceros until the post game, knowing how OP he was. There's no reason to make the game that much easier.

Of the ones I used, Turbandit is pretty great. His stats aren't the best early on, but he learns lots of useful spells and by the third stage (Turban Myth is what I chose) his stats start to shoot up. The Seed Sprite you get early on is also quite good. He learns a great all heal spell and some strong water spells. Also Captain Whamtastic...because Captain Whamtastic.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Damian

I suggest getting Swaine a Clinkityclank.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

Oh, and I also gave Swaine a Tin-man, who turned out to be a pretty good offensive tank. His only real downside is his horrible accuracy, but he gets great defense and attack and Beam-Man can even learn healing skills.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By D_Bones

@Damian: what are it's benefits? Just because as a sidequest I caught a tinman, a clinkity clank and a gear familar and was trying to pick one to use for Swaine. So far I have started leveling tinman because he is a huge tank but if clank dude is better would go with him (he looks cooler)

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Petiew

Get Monolith. He's the stone tablet that's running around in the area between the desert and the swimsuit town.
    The guy has insanely high physical defence (Even at relatively low levels the evolutions will have over 200+ easily) and a taunt move that'll draw all of the attention to him. Really useful for regular and boss battles.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Damian

@D_Bones: He's a magic heavy familiar who isn't weak or slow. Plus his storm moves look great, and he's adorable.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Stepside

I'm at level 27 - just got to Hamelin and beat the tank. Still using Mitey while I wait for my Purrloiner to get at level 33 so I can morph him with max stats ;)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#17  Edited By alistercat

I'm level 25ish and training a LittleBigHorn at the moment. Is that any good? I just liked the look of it and want to replace my mite. I only use one familiar really.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Krockett

When and where can you get a Dinoceros? Also how do you fast travel, when does that become available?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Marz

I like the pom pom, resistant to physical and has mean attacks.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By geirr

Baatender for life.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By alistercat

How big of a deal is Hurley's evolutions slow move and attack speed. They are one and two stars respectively. He has insane stats though so I'd like to keep him and keep going but I wonder if it's going to get me killed later on.

TohruAdachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TohruAdachi

@AlisterCat said:

How big of a deal is Hurley's evolutions slow move and attack speed. They are one and two stars respectively. He has insane stats though so I'd like to keep him and keep going but I wonder if it's going to get me killed later on.

It's probably best to keep,but I believe there's another slow familiar you get in the game,but he's like a dozen times stronger than Hurley and he has like two stars on movement speed and attack speed I believe,on the other hand only keep a slow familiar if it has good defense and attack or it'll end up getting you kill. I don't really use Hurley so I'm not sure about defense

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By musubi
    @8bit_Archer
    When and where can you get a Dinoceros? Also how do you fast travel, when does that become available?
    The Genie's steps is where you'll find Dinoceros. Which is the rocky cliffs above the temple of trials. You can't access them until you get your last bit of transportation.
    Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main one is a Puss in Boats (second final Purrloiner form) and it's pretty strong. I gave Swaine a Dinoceros since he kept dying on me in the longer battles. Esther still has her default one.

I also like the Girlfiend forms.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@geirr said:

Baatender for life.

One of the best names in the game, but there are so many like that.

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hellstrom

I have Catastroceros on Swaine, and Demoliceros on Oliver....needless to say, everything gets raped pretty much xD Oliver & Swaine's familar health doesn't even go down unless someone does a powerful magic attack in which case it still doesn't move down much.

Esther has been using the same fatass Bird since i started the game. He's in 3rd form with magic attack all the way up, the bird also rapes everything with his AoE attacks especially the bubble bath one.

Oliver line up is basicaly: Demoliceros, Dynamite (aka Jotun) , Fountainhead (Aka Cloud, only kept him on the team because of his ressurect power incase Swaine or Ester went down, haven't ever had to use it though)

Ester: Electrongo, Wispula, Boo-Bougie (have refrained from evolving to 3rd form as he's never used)

Swaine: Catastroceros, Puss in Bouts, Grimray.

The rest of the line up is purely for back up, incase the others need to recharge, however the first party familars pretty much end most battles before the charge thing gets even halfway down. Its almost hilarious how much Catastrocers ( i named him Wrex) and Demoliceros (i named him Draugr) rape everything.

Although i don't use Oliver's starting familar much these days i still continue to feed Dynamite and upgrade him as i love the little guy, he is a badass, he's been a champ throughout the game, he's arguably still among my favorite familars :( i can't send him to the retreat.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.