Ask me anything about Nier

#1 Edited by Jeust (10537 posts) -

The game is out for about a couple of weeks, but as it is obscured by the lack of attention it has been given, or some bad scored it has been awarded, i've created this topic to help clear them.  

I was curious about the game, and in a leap of faith bought it.

I'm going to dabble a bit with it, and if you have any question post it here, and i'll try to answer them. 

Also if you have already played the game, what do you think about it?  

Cheers to all

#2 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

Have you encountered the "trap" yet?

#3 Posted by Jeust (10537 posts) -

Not yet :p 

#4 Posted by ProfessorEss (7308 posts) -

Pretty basic but, are you enjoying it?

#5 Edited by Jeust (10537 posts) -
@Ace829 said:

" Have you encountered the "trap" yet? "

what trap? use a spoiler tag please :p  

@SteamPunkJin
said:

" Is it fun?  How does it really control? (What would you compare it to?)Is Nier really as pug-fugly as they say? "

It is fun. I've finish the prolog, advanced the story and done some fetch and kill quests, and it has been good. It controls well, though it can take some time to get used to.  

About the graphics sure it isn't no FFXIII, but they are agreeable, and the western look of the main character (uglier than the japanese version) does well in ilustrating a rustic, but merciless and endangered world, making it easier to connect to than a stylish anime looking one. Some art style is also wacky, as you can see from the trailers, but it does bring a unique touch to the world. And some boss fights are really interesting and presente challenge while not exasperating the player.

Something also worth noting is the great soundtrack and good vocal interpretations, that flesh out the world. 

There are three levels of difficulty you can put your game on. But the game doesn't seem particulary difficult till now, though you can notice, especially in side quests when you are out matched.  Also there are plenty save points, dispensing the grinding till the next save.  

@ProfessorEss
said:

" Pretty basic but, are you enjoying it? "

Yep. Pretty much. It's a unique game with a unique story, despite some clichés. And i can see myself replaying it, since it allows various play styles with combos and magic, and the story might be worth experiencing more than once. 
#6 Edited by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

the music is always great?, nier it's currently at 50$ at amazon, should i buy it or wait for lower price?  i mean do you think it worth the 50 bones?

The Trap       
#7 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
#8 Posted by Ashwyn (202 posts) -

Although I did not, I'm glad someone is enjoying the game.
And you find out all about this ''Trap'' on the second play through D:

#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

How nier is it to your heart?

#10 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -
#11 Edited by Jeust (10537 posts) -
@cazamalos said:

"     the music is always great?, nier it's currently at 50$ at amazon, should i buy it or wait for lower price?  i mean do you think it worth the 50 bones?

The Trap       
"
The music is very good, although might be repetitive. I haven't played enough, but it really fits well with the game. 

The game seems really worth it, but you should think about what you might like and hate about the game, because though the game isn't bad, graphically isn't at the level of a Mass Effect or FFXIII, and you can notice as the game is an experiment by Cavia and Square-Enix, with multiple gameplays, that range from a top down rpg as gauntlet to a side scrolling plataformer, a third person hack and slash and a shmup. :p 

So see the pros and cons about the game, and if you like it, go for it. It seems worthwhile.       

Wesley Yin-Poole of videogamer.com  explained of Nier that “… the wonderfully designed characters and intriguing plot do just enough to elevate NIER above much of what is coming out of Japan these days. It is, in many ways, the kind of game critics of the Japanese RPG have been calling for: different, fresh, and in parts distinctly un-JRPG. Not all of it works, but it's a commendable effort, and a memorable experience.” Yin-Poole gave Nier a score of 8/10.    

I agree with this guy.

@luce:

I haven't met her yet, though if she is as well fleshed out as i've seen in the intro, i won't care much of her sexuality. She seems a great character. 

@Ashwyn

said:

" Although I did not, I'm glad someone is enjoying the game. And you find out all about this ''Trap'' on the second play through D: "

What didn't you enjoy about the game? 

@JJWeatherman

said:

" How nier is it to your heart? "

It's a creative and experimental game that is both captivating and haunting. Haunting not so much for what it shows, though some scenes like the introduction are really emotionally interesting, but for what it sugests with the story. Though there are some clichés as the eternal battle of good against evil, and ying an yang... :p 

@Roflwaffles

said:

" Who the fuck is Nier? "

Is a father of a child affected with a mortal disease, who is trying to save her by any means possible.   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.